Smudge is dying

Old April 5th 11, 05:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Smudge is dying

My neighbor who watches her and feeds her noticed that she wasn't
eating, had lost weight, and was acting listless. I brought her to
the vet yesterday and the vet felt "a mass" in her abdomen. Today
she had an ultrasound, and they found metastasized cancer in her
small intestine and throughout her abdomen. The vet said that they
can't do anything for her, because it's already spread, and even if
they performed surgery to take out the largest tumor, it might buy
her another month or two at most, but then she'd just develop another
tumor - it's a very aggressive type of cancer. They recommend
euthanasia within the next couple of *days*. Days? This is such
a shock. I already knew the vet suspected cancer, but I was expecting
that Smudge would have treatment and that she would be able to live
longer.

The only good thing the vet said is that she's pretty sure Smudge
is not in pain. She felt around quite a bit, and the ultrasound puts
a lot of pressure on the area, and she didn't complain. She doesn't
have to be put down right this minute. So I'm bringing her home for
a day or two, to say goodbye. I know she won't be thrilled to be in
my house, but I'll keep her in a room by herself, away from the other
two. She's very low energy and has not been the feisty, willful cat
she's always been, and I think she'll just hunker down and rest.

More later...
Old April 5th 11, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~[_2_]

wrote in message ...

My neighbor who watches her and feeds her noticed that she wasn't
eating, had lost weight, and was acting listless. I brought her to
the vet yesterday and the vet felt "a mass" in her abdomen. Today
she had an ultrasound, and they found metastasized cancer in her
small intestine and throughout her abdomen. The vet said that they
can't do anything for her, because it's already spread, and even if
they performed surgery to take out the largest tumor, it might buy
her another month or two at most, but then she'd just develop another
tumor - it's a very aggressive type of cancer. They recommend
euthanasia within the next couple of *days*. Days? This is such
a shock. I already knew the vet suspected cancer, but I was expecting
that Smudge would have treatment and that she would be able to live
longer.

--------

Oh Joyce... I'm so, so sorry. I just know how hard this is.... especially
when it's just 'days'. God bless Smudge. Y'all will be in my thoughts and
prayers.

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Laurie
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸ ·.·

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~*

All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
~Abraham Lincoln

Old April 5th 11, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Apr 5, 12:00*pm, wrote:
[...]

I am so sorry to hear this. This is so sudden and must came as
a shock. My heart goes out to you.
Spend as much time with Smudge as you
can before his trip to RB. I wish I spent more time with
Rusty before he was gone.
Old April 5th 11, 05:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

I'm so terribly sorry, Joyce. Nothing can take away the pain of losing a
loved cat. :-(
--
Adrian
Old April 5th 11, 05:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
NettieCat

On Apr 5, 5:00*pm, wrote:
[...]

What a shock for you. May your last days with her be good ones, so
that she can go peacefully, knowing that she's been loved.

Jeanette
Old April 5th 11, 05:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kraut / Larry Stark

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 19:21:53 +0300, Marina
wrote:

My neighbor who watches her and feeds her noticed that she wasn't
eating, had lost weight, and was acting listless. I brought her to
the vet yesterday and the vet felt "a mass" in her abdomen. Today
she had an ultrasound, and they found metastasized cancer in her
small intestine and throughout her abdomen.

gentle snip

Oh, no, Joyce. I'm so very sorry to read this. I've been sad that she
decided to move out, but this is just devastating. At least, when she
moved out, you could catch a glimpse of her sometimes, and she'd make
the odd surprise visit. I'm so sorry. There's not much more I can say. I
hope her passing is peaceful and painless. It sounds like it will be.
But not for you. {{{{Joyce}}}} The cats are sending comforting purrs.

So very sorry to here this.

At least she is not off alone someplace by herself to suffer the last
few days of her life. She is with someone who loves and cares about
her for whatever time she has left.

Old April 5th 11, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_5_]

Mega purrs and prayers are headed your way. And they work - I've seen how
many times they've worked. And if "the answer is no", then the people here
are a vast and valuable resource to use to help you through your grief.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old April 5th 11, 06:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

I can only think of this little poem from the writings of Edgar A Guest:

There is no time that we could set for parting.
We who remain are never ready for such pain.
Even our prayer would be "Not yet!
Not yet, dear God -- another day with us
let our beloved stay."
We must believe when falls the blow
That, wisely, God has willed it so.

".....Rise up slowly, Angel...."
It's hard to let you go.

MLB

Old April 5th 11, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
[...]

I'm so sorry! There isn't really anything else to say.

Hugs and purrs,

Joy