Fleas

Old August 10th 14, 06:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Fleas

Koala's paperwork says he was treated for fleas. However, since I
brought him home, my ankles are covered with bites. Any suggestions?
I'm tempted to buy two flea collars and wear them as ankle bracelets.

Joy

Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters
Photos at http://www.PictureTrail.com/joy9
Old August 10th 14, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Joy wrote:
Koala's paperwork says he was treated for fleas. However, since I
brought him home, my ankles are covered with bites. Any suggestions?
I'm tempted to buy two flea collars and wear them as ankle bracelets.

Joy

Problem is, that only takes care of the fleas that were on the CAT -
they're probably reproducing in your carpet. I've had good luck with
the aerosol products sold to fumigate your home - but of course you must
remove yourself and your pets for the recommended time required to do
the job.
Old August 10th 14, 08:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Joy wrote:
Koala's paperwork says he was treated for fleas. However, since I
brought him home, my ankles are covered with bites. Any suggestions?
I'm tempted to buy two flea collars and wear them as ankle bracelets.

Joy

Problem is, that only takes care of the fleas that were on the CAT -
they're probably reproducing in your carpet. I've had good luck with
the aerosol products sold to fumigate your home - but of course you must
remove yourself and your pets for the recommended time required to do
the job.

(P.S. - Don't neglect the clothes closets - the can also breed on your
clothes!)
Old August 10th 14, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/10/2014 3:33 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Joy wrote:
Koala's paperwork says he was treated for fleas. However, since I
brought him home, my ankles are covered with bites. Any suggestions?
I'm tempted to buy two flea collars and wear them as ankle bracelets.

Joy

Problem is, that only takes care of the fleas that were on the CAT -
they're probably reproducing in your carpet. I've had good luck with
the aerosol products sold to fumigate your home - but of course you must
remove yourself and your pets for the recommended time required to do
the job.

For carpet or flooring, there's always the bowl of water trick. With
some Dawn liquid dish detergent in it. Put a lamp next to it. For some
reason fleas jump in and drown themselves.

Jill
Old August 11th 14, 01:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 8/10/2014 12:33 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Joy wrote:
Koala's paperwork says he was treated for fleas. However, since I
brought him home, my ankles are covered with bites. Any suggestions?
I'm tempted to buy two flea collars and wear them as ankle bracelets.

Joy

Problem is, that only takes care of the fleas that were on the CAT -
they're probably reproducing in your carpet. I've had good luck with
the aerosol products sold to fumigate your home - but of course you must
remove yourself and your pets for the recommended time required to do
the job.

Yes, and that would be a major problem. Pickles is terrified of the cat
carrier, and since I trapped him in it to take him to the vet, Koala
doesn't think much of it either. I seem to get bitten only when I go in
the room where he is, and there is no carpet in there. Actually, I
don't think I have any new bites today.

Joy

Old August 11th 14, 01:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Joy wrote:
[...]

If you can set up a bowl with water and some liquid detergent and a
lamp... if there are any fleas around it will help trap them. Flea eggs
can get into crevices of hardwood floors.

Good luck!

Jill
Old August 11th 14, 08:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Judith Latham wrote:

I like the idea of getting two flea collars for your ankles. I might do
this for work as we have fleas in the building. We know we have because
one of the younger members of staff, Katie, caught one and brought it to
me on her finger to ask what it was. She dropped it on my desk and I
immediately killed it. It was a flea it looked like a flea, jumped like a
flea and crushed like a flea, it was a flea. We have suspected it for a
while as we've been getting a few bites. Now we have proof. We've reported
it but that was three weeks ago and nothing has been done. Katie still has
it on the piece of paper in a plastic wallet. she even emailed a copy to
the appropriate person although it just looked like a dot.

If you have fleas in the building, you probably have mice and/or rats,
as well! (I had rats in my attic, which led to "oriental rat mites" in
my clothes closets.) That was REALLY a trip - they breed much faster
than fleas, so the spray didn't really help. I ended up using flea
spray twice a day, and spraying my clothes before I put them on in the
morning.
Old August 11th 14, 11:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 8/11/2014 12:31 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Judith Latham wrote:

[...]

The fleas only appeared after I brought home the shelter cat, and seem
to be confined to the room where I keep him.

Old August 12th 14, 12:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Judith Latham wrote:

[...]

Another recommendation for the bowl of water with Dawn dish detergent
and a lamp over the bowl.

Jill
Old August 12th 14, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
Koala's paperwork says he was treated for fleas. However, since I brought
him home, my ankles are covered with bites. Any suggestions? I'm tempted
to buy two flea collars and wear them as ankle bracelets.

Joy

I use Stronghold. It's a spot-on and it also kills earmites and gets rid of
intestinal worms (not tapeworm). I'd check with the shelter to see if it's
ok to use it since he's allegedly been treated already.
As far as I know Boyfie has never had fleas, I think my house is too cold
during the winter for any to survive anyway ;-) but I use Stronghold every
six months just in case.

I'm not sure if you can get it in the US as I was going to send you a link
but the first page links seem to be Uk suppliers and I didn't have enough
time to search for USA links, sorry. It used to be prescription only.
It's good stuff.
Don't let Koala out of the room he's in until his flea problem is sorted,
otherwise, well you know this, they'll be in your carpets and soft
furnishings.
The shelter seem to have let him be adopted without making sure he has no
ongoing health problems for his new owner. That's quite naughty.

Tweed

Fleas? Richard Evans Cat health & behaviour 3 October 1st 07 06:01 PM
No fleas? David Mooney Cat health & behaviour 2 June 8th 07 08:55 PM
fleas graciedv Cat health & behaviour 11 June 19th 05 03:15 PM
My cat's got fleas! ltlslugr31 Cat health & behaviour 8 March 12th 05 01:18 AM
fleas Jenni G. Cat health & behaviour 24 July 19th 04 07:43 PM