Speaking of neutering

Old October 16th 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Paul M. Cook[_2_]

Default Speaking of neutering

Salvadore is due for snippage next week. Until then I am wondering if his
incredibly strong urine smell is related to the fact his is sexually mature.
His litterbox reeks. I washed it out with soap and hot water and refilled
it yesterday with fresh clumping litter. This morning I noticed his box
smells like a horse used it during the night. Peeee yoooooo!

Will the smell go the way of his testicles? His poop is not bad just his
urine. Smells like a back alley in downtown NYC.

Old October 16th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

Yes Paul when he gets snipped and the hormones out of his system you
should be fine.

I add a time released odor controller when spirit was young. You can get
them at Wal-Mart I think febreeze has one set it on every 10 minutes you
should be fine

Old October 16th 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
Salvadore is due for snippage next week. Until then I am wondering if his
incredibly strong urine smell is related to the fact his is sexually
mature. His litterbox reeks. I washed it out with soap and hot water and
refilled it yesterday with fresh clumping litter. This morning I noticed
his box smells like a horse used it during the night. Peeee yoooooo!

Will the smell go the way of his testicles? His poop is not bad just his
urine. Smells like a back alley in downtown NYC.

Yes, that strong odor should go away. However, it will not be immediate --
it could take a few weeks before the effect is noticeable.

MaryL

Old October 16th 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Yep, un-neutered male cat urine REEKS. Like MaryL said, the smell will
go away, but will take a little time for his hormones to decrease.
Old October 16th 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Paul M. Cook[_2_]

"Rene S." wrote in message
Yep, un-neutered male cat urine REEKS. Like MaryL said, the smell will
go away, but will take a little time for his hormones to decrease.

This could possibly explain Jack's heightened sense of anxiety I take it?
If Jack is smelling all this would he take it as a threat perhaps? Just for
the heck of it I ordered some Rescue Remedy which should be here tomorrow.
Will this help? I figure it can't hurt but if something would work better I
sure will try it.

Paul

Old October 16th 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
Salvadore is due for snippage next week. Until then I am wondering if his
incredibly strong urine smell is related to the fact his is sexually
mature. His litterbox reeks. I washed it out with soap and hot water and
refilled it yesterday with fresh clumping litter. This morning I noticed
his box smells like a horse used it during the night. Peeee yoooooo!

Will the smell go the way of his testicles? His poop is not bad just his
urine. Smells like a back alley in downtown NYC.

Yep. When I was bringing Hunter (a 1 year old tom we were trying to rehome)
back home from his "snip" in May, he was still very groggy and had an
"accident" in my Sherpa bag (which I had stupidly placed on the seat of my
truck so I could belt it in). The pee soaked through the bag and into my
cloth-covered seat. The resulting smell could be described as a combination
of rotten onions, rotten eggs, eau-de-skunk, and putrid flesh - "could be",
but in actuality it was much worse. We used gallons and gallons of Nature's
Miracle, and about 10 other deodorizers, both the enzyme kind and other,
bleach, ammonia, and pine-sol. *NOTHING* has managed to completely remove
the stench. It gets particularly aromatic after sitting in the sun all day,
in the Houston heat, in an uncovered parking lot while I'm at work.

He had also sprayed several spots in my home in the section of the house
where we had him isolated and we treated those spots as well. Sadly, Hunter
died of an embolism a few weeks after his surgery. Even after he was gone,
and everything had been treated repeatedly, the odor was still there and
initiated bouts of spraying from both our male and female cats.

Ozzy and Archer were neutered when they were 10 weeks old, and I would
recommend that for anyone who has a tom - the consequences of not getting
them neutered early enough can be *very* difficult to live with.

It usually takes several weeks before the hormones are out of their system
and the odor of the urine gets tolerable.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old October 17th 08, 11:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

The urine smells stronger if they eat dry food also. My kitty is on
wet food and his urine doesn't smell at all. When I first got him
from the shelter [already neutered] it smelled really strong - they
fed him exclusively dry food.
Old October 18th 08, 08:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Nice Mean Man[_2_]

On Oct 16, 12:44*pm, "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
Salvadore is due for snippage next week. *Until then I am wondering if his
incredibly strong urine smell is related to the fact his is sexually mature.
His litterbox reeks. *I washed it out with soap and hot water and refilled
it yesterday with fresh clumping litter. *This morning I noticed his box
smells like a horse used it during the night. *Peeee yoooooo!

Will the smell go the way of his testicles? *His poop is not bad just his
urine. *Smells like a back alley in downtown NYC.

You're the kind of person who puts your kid on Ridelin because they're
acting like a kid. You'd probably have THEM castrated if you though it
were legal.

The Nice Mean Man

"Now we gonna find out what a Muslim President can do"
http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=28276229