Canned food

Old November 25th 09, 01:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KenK

Default Canned food

Any recommendations for canned cat food? I've fed her Fancy Feast for many
years but lately she's been getting diarrhea every week or two. She's
allergic to shellfish and fish and perhaps poultry disagrees with her as
well. Not much left. Suggestions? I noted someone mentioned diarrhea and a
canned food that helped a few days ago but unfortunately I carelessly
didn't print the message or note the name of the thread.

TIA

Old November 25th 09, 03:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On 25 Nov 2009 13:36:57 GMT, KenK wrote:

Any recommendations for canned cat food? I've fed her Fancy Feast for many
years but lately she's been getting diarrhea every week or two. She's
allergic to shellfish and fish and perhaps poultry disagrees with her as
well. Not much left. Suggestions? I noted someone mentioned diarrhea and a
canned food that helped a few days ago but unfortunately I carelessly
didn't print the message or note the name of the thread.

TIA

All three of my cats like the ProPlan line. They love the Chicken and
Rice. I'm sure you've noticed that it's kind of tough to tell what
causes a cat to have diarreha, especially if it only happens once a
week.
Old November 25th 09, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

How old is your cat? Has she been tested for having hyperthyroidism?
Does she go outside? It seems would be odd for Fancy Feast to be
creating this problem. I would look for something else. Does she
drink milk? Eat people food, etc.
Old November 26th 09, 05:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stacey[_3_]

Mine like Evo, turkey and turkey and chicken.

Stacey

--
~~~~~~~~~
None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

-- The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice

Old November 26th 09, 05:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
starcat

"dgk" wrote in message
On 25 Nov 2009 13:36:57 GMT, KenK wrote:

Any recommendations for canned cat food? I've fed her Fancy Feast for many
years but lately she's been getting diarrhea every week or two. She's
allergic to shellfish and fish and perhaps poultry disagrees with her as
well. Not much left. Suggestions? I noted someone mentioned diarrhea and a
canned food that helped a few days ago but unfortunately I carelessly
didn't print the message or note the name of the thread.

TIA

All three of my cats like the ProPlan line. They love the Chicken and
Rice. I'm sure you've noticed that it's kind of tough to tell what
causes a cat to have diarreha, especially if it only happens once a
week.

ProPlan is great with a lot of good flavors. First, diarrhea once a week is
going to be hard to pinpoint. If it's a long-haired cat, it may come down
to your cat is ingesting too much fur. All cats, but especially long-haired
ones, need to be brushed/combed at least once a week. You'd be surprised at
how many people don't do that for their short-haired kitties.

Second, Fancy Feast isn't bad, but it depends on which flavor you're
feeding. Some of them are definitely better than others. Check this out:
http://hubpages.com/hub/Cat_Food_Review

Third, if your cat is allergic to shellfish, fish, and perhaps poultry,
there's still plenty left to choose from. There's beef, lamb, and even
venison in some of the better cat food brands. Cats like variety, but if
you can just find 2 or 3 kinds she likes, that'll work.

Fourth, if you can afford it, check out Natural Balance or Wellness brands,
since they're grain-free. Others are too, so read those can ingredients
before buying. Grain in cat food is a real trigger for soft stool in a lot
of cats, and they don't need it anyway.

Fifth, and most obvious, is no dairy.

Old November 26th 09, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KenK

"starcat" wrote in
m:

All cats, but especially long-haired
ones, need to be brushed/combed at least once a week. You'd be
surprised at how many people don't do that for their short-haired
kitties.

She's a shothair and gets groomed daily.

Second, Fancy Feast isn't bad, but it depends on which flavor you're
feeding.

About all that's left that she doesn't seem to have problems with is the
beef with gravy. The beef without has fish.

Fourth, if you can afford it, check out Natural Balance or Wellness
brands, since they're grain-free.

I quick-Googled

wellness cat food diarrhea

and see complaints about Wellness causing it. Natural Balance doesn't seem
to show this but I suspect, though I haven't checked yet, that it's not
locally available. Pretty expensive, too, even without mailorder shipping.

Fifth, and most obvious, is no dairy.

Once in a blue moon - if I have a splash left over from cooking. None
during the recent soft stool or diarrhea episodes.

Old November 27th 09, 02:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
starcat

"KenK" wrote in message
"starcat" wrote in
m:

All cats, but especially long-haired
ones, need to be brushed/combed at least once a week. You'd be
surprised at how many people don't do that for their short-haired
kitties.

She's a shothair and gets groomed daily.

Good for you! She'll have a better coat and a happier digestive tract for
it.

Second, Fancy Feast isn't bad, but it depends on which flavor you're
feeding.

About all that's left that she doesn't seem to have problems with is the
beef with gravy. The beef without has fish.

I will say that it's not unusual for cats to have poo issues with fish,
especially that Fancy Feast Ocean Fish variety in the pink can. Since turkey
and chicken are out too with her, that does just leave beef.

Fourth, if you can afford it, check out Natural Balance or Wellness
brands, since they're grain-free.

I quick-Googled

wellness cat food diarrhea

and see complaints about Wellness causing it. Natural Balance doesn't seem
to show this but I suspect, though I haven't checked yet, that it's not
locally available. Pretty expensive, too, even without mailorder shipping.

I have a Persian who had a diarrhea issue recently (his was 2-3 times a
week, so it was a huge problem), and the Wellness and Natural Balance helped
tremendously. He got better on the Wellness, so I didn't have a worsening
of his problem on it, but for him, he didn't like the flavors as much as the
Natural Balance. Pricey? You bet! I cringed buying it, but once his issue
resolved, I started working in his favorite Fancy Feast and ProPlan flavors.
He gets the Natural Balance a few times a week, but not daily any more. I
start with a visit to the vet, and he was on an antibiotic for a bit, but it
didn't help. His poo issues were sudden and no fun for me, since he chose
not to use the litter pan when he had them. If you look at ProPlan canned,
they may have a variety your cat will eat. It's considerably less expensive
than the others, and my cats love it.

Fifth, and most obvious, is no dairy.

Once in a blue moon - if I have a splash left over from cooking. None
during the recent soft stool or diarrhea episodes.

Chances are, you may never determine exactly what's causing this, but you're
starting at the right place with watching her diet. I remember with my cat,
I thought about adding a bit of canned pumpkin to his diet. I Googled his
problem, and a lot of cat owners swear by it for helping cats with soft poo
issues. He got better, though, so I never tried it.

With my cat, in the end, his poop problem resolved with the change in his
diet, but he kept pooping outside the litter pan, so he was left with a
behavioral issue. In the end, I added not just one but TWO extra litter
pans, including a larger uncovered one. Problem immediately solved. I have
two more litter pans than I'd like, but no more poop surprises on the
carpet.

Which brings me to another thought: Is your cat under any unusual stress
lately? Something that might bring on a diarrhea attack? I've had two cats
(including the Persian) who whenever they boarded at the vet would have very
soft poop or diarrhea episodes. Whenever something upset their applecart,
it went straight to their bowels, so to speak. Maybe something on the days
she has an episode is a bit different than what she's used to - it's just
something to think about.

Old November 27th 09, 05:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
starcat

"jmc" wrote in message
Suddenly, without warning, KenK exclaimed (11/26/2009 1:16 PM):
"Buddy's Mom" wrote in news:bd6ed832-7cc2-4be0-9b3c-
:

How old is your cat?

About 14.

Has she been tested for having hyperthyroidism?

Not to my knowledge.

Does she go outside?

No

It seems would be odd for Fancy Feast to be
creating this problem. I would look for something else. Does she
drink milk?

No

Eat people food, etc.

She insista on a small taste when I eat. She's done this all her life,
the diarrhea have just showed up the last few months, if that.

I think when a cat's that old, if there's any changes in behavior, etc,
it's time for a trip to the vet.

I totally agree. In fact, my cats go to the vet for a "senior wellness"
checkup every 6 months after the age of 10 and get diagnostic blood work at
least once a year. It's served me well too, since all of mine have lived
well into their teen years. Two of them had serious medical problems but
lived to 17 and 18, respectively. Kidney, dental, thyroid, cardiac, and
even cancers can be caught and treated much earlier that way.

My 13.5 year old cat is going to the vet on Monday because she suddenly
has a good appetite. It's not a bad thing in and of itself, but the
sudden change after years of leaving food behind has me wondering.

In your case, with a sudden increase in appetite, my first thought would be
thyroid or diabetes.

jmc