Should I spank my cat?

Old January 26th 10, 09:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Brian[_2_]

Default Should I spank my cat?

Should I spank my cat if he urinates inside, or is there a better
method to make him urinate outside? He's an adult cat that use to go
outside to urinate. He has a cat flap so that he can go outside.

Regards Brian
Old January 26th 10, 11:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

Your cat is urinating inside because he has a problem - bladder
infection, etc. Take him to the doctor. This is his way of telling
you he is sick. Spanking does nothing but make the cat fearful of
you.

Old January 26th 10, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
honeybunch

I totally agree with Buddy's Mom. Your cat has a urinary infection.
You should get the cat a kitty litter pan for inside. He might use it
if he is peeing on the carpet now. My cat does not like to do his
business in the house. He carries on like a maniac before he goes in
the pan and then when he is done he scratches the litter around for
ages. He'd rather do it outside but its too cold for him to go out
right now. Take you cat to the doctor.

Old January 27th 10, 01:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
starcat

"Brian" wrote in message
Should I spank my cat if he urinates inside, or is there a better
method to make him urinate outside? He's an adult cat that use to go
outside to urinate. He has a cat flap so that he can go outside.

Regards Brian

One word: NO. It's counterproductive in both cats and dogs, but especially
in cats. You'll accomplish nothing.

First, take him to the vet to rule out anything physical. If he's always
gone outside before, then it's most likely he's got an infection. Second,
consider adding a litter pan inside, if you don't have one already. If he's
an older cat, it may be difficult for him to go outside all the time (if
it's raining, for example).

Regardless of why he's doing it, spanking him is pointless.

Old January 27th 10, 03:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dejablues[_4_]

"Brian" wrote in message
Should I spank my cat if he urinates inside, or is there a better
method to make him urinate outside? He's an adult cat that use to go
outside to urinate. He has a cat flap so that he can go outside.

No. Spank yourself, then try to figure out what's wrong with your cat.

Old February 1st 10, 01:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 06:58:40 -0600, "Kelly Greene"
wrote:

"Brian" wrote in message
.. .
Should I spank my cat if he urinates inside, or is there a better
method to make him urinate outside? He's an adult cat that use to go
outside to urinate. He has a cat flap so that he can go outside.

Regards Brian

Please don't ever spank your cat. He wont understand "after the fact." Have
the vet check him to see if he has some health issues. Also, if it's bitter
cold and the earth is frozen, some cats would rather use their litter pans.

Yes, that's after the fact. I swatted Espy on his behind the other
night when he was playing the blinds like a xylophone. And I keep them
fairly high up so he has to stretch to reach them. I love that cat
dearly but sometimes he's a bit too smart. He wanted me to get up and
give him treats.

But if I swatted his behind a minute later he would have no idea why I
did it. It really has to be in the act. I would never hit him hard
enough to hurt him no matter what he did.
Old February 3rd 10, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Brian[_2_]

dgk wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 06:58:40 -0600, "Kelly Greene"
wrote:

"Brian" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

If he starts biteing me he gets a tap on the nose.

Regards Brian
Old February 3rd 10, 01:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 04:01:51 -0600, "Kelly Greene"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .

But if I swatted his behind a minute later he would have no idea why I
did it. It really has to be in the act. I would never hit him hard
enough to hurt him no matter what he did.

We found the spray bottle works wonders with our two kitties. They no
longer go on the expensive sofa or the dining room table. We don't have
blinds in the house. We do have blinds in our RV, but so far so good.
They've not bothered them.

He has been playing the blinds once in a while for the last few weeks.
A new trick. I did bring in a big water gun from the garage and kept
it loaded and pumped up by the side of the bed but decided that I
didn't want to risk a groggy night shot that might hit the stereo
nearby. Maybe if I practice with it a bit I'll get better. But it lets
out a pretty big stream of water. I think I need one of the old little
manual types of watergun.
Old February 4th 10, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_2_]

wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

IMHO a spray would be better than a stream. You can find them in
cleaning items at the grocery store. MLB
Old February 4th 10, 02:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

But then I have to get up and out of bed. I was kind of hoping to just
get a shot off while he's making night music, to convince him that
it's a bad idea. This could hopefully be done without becoming fully
awake or having to get out from under the covers. Plus, he won't need
to know that it came from me!