Do other cats know a cat is dying?

Old March 4th 10, 04:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CleggandCompany

Default Do other cats know a cat is dying?

Our oldest Molly is pretty sick. Doc has not said she's terminal but
she's 14 plus and when you considered the big picture I am not
hopeful.

For her own benefit, and hygiene's sake, we've had her quarantined
most of the day. She's out when we are home and when we can keep an
eye on her.

Our middle boy, a super sweet and sensitive main coon, is also off his
food and making uncommonly pathetic noises for him, distressed
sounds, a major case of the shivers earlier today and being extra
needy. (some of this is due to the new cat, but the noises are new.)

our #3, the newest cat, has only been here 8 weeks and seems fine, how
ever we are not 100% certain what norm is for her so she could be off/
upset and we don't know it.

so is #2 just upset about molly being so sick or does he know
something we don't?

CS
Old March 4th 10, 12:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

My vet has told me that they do know when another kitty in the
household is ill. Usually they will not be kind to the sick kitty -
survival of the pack - they try to run off the sick one. Sometimes by
not letting the sick one have food, etc.

I had a very sensitive male cat and an ill female. Even though Dusty
was sensitive, he was very unkind to the female before her death from
cancer.
Old March 8th 10, 04:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Paul M. Cook[_2_]

"Buddy's Mom" wrote in message
My vet has told me that they do know when another kitty in the
household is ill. Usually they will not be kind to the sick kitty -
survival of the pack - they try to run off the sick one. Sometimes by
not letting the sick one have food, etc.

Cats are not pack animals.

I had a very sensitive male cat and an ill female. Even though Dusty
was sensitive, he was very unkind to the female before her death from
cancer.

When my cat became suddenly ill on Tuesday, all the other cats gave him a
lot of space and were very gentle towards him. They often played hard with
him because he was so passive. But they sensed he was ill and they left him
alone. Even my she-devil girl cat was very kind and didn't try to chase him
like she usually did. My male boss cat licked his head a few times, which
he never did before.

I think the change in behavior kind of set it in my mind something really
serious was up.

Paul

Old March 10th 10, 12:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Paul M. Cook[_2_]

"Kelly Greene" wrote in message

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message

"Buddy's Mom" wrote in message
My vet has told me that they do know when another kitty in the
household is ill. Usually they will not be kind to the sick kitty -
survival of the pack - they try to run off the sick one. Sometimes by
not letting the sick one have food, etc.

Cats are not pack animals.

I think my cats would be lost without each other. They do so many things
together you'd think they were littermates. But some days they're off
playing by themselves and taking naps in different rooms. I wouldn't call
them pack animals but they sure do enjoy the company of their own kind
when kept as pets.
--

Dogs are pack animals. I have never heard of cats being referred to as
such. They are solitary loners for the most part with lions being an

Paul

Old March 12th 10, 11:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Tue, 9 Mar 2010 16:32:12 -0600 from Kelly Greene :
"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
Cats are not pack animals.

I think my cats would be lost without each other. They do so many
things together you'd think they were littermates. But some days
they're off playing by themselves and taking naps in different
rooms. I wouldn't call them pack animals but they sure do enjoy the
company of their own kind when kept as pets.

I think that's because when they are kept as pets they never truly
grow up. They retain a lot of kitten behaviors that an adult cat
would not naturally have.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old March 12th 10, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
Cats are not pack animals.

I think my cats would be lost without each other. They do so many
things together you'd think they were littermates. But some days
they're off playing by themselves and taking naps in different
rooms. I wouldn't call them pack animals but they sure do enjoy the
company of their own kind when kept as pets.

I think that's because when they are kept as pets they never truly
grow up. They retain a lot of kitten behaviors that an adult cat
would not naturally have.

They certainly aren't pack animals like dogs are, but sometimes you
see felines hunting in packs and other times they're solitary. At
least on the Nature Channel.
Old March 13th 10, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
Cats are not pack animals.

I think my cats would be lost without each other. They do so many
things together you'd think they were littermates. But some days
they're off playing by themselves and taking naps in different
rooms. I wouldn't call them pack animals but they sure do enjoy the
company of their own kind when kept as pets.

I think that's because when they are kept as pets they never truly
grow up. They retain a lot of kitten behaviors that an adult cat
would not naturally have.

They certainly aren't pack animals like dogs are, but sometimes you
see felines hunting in packs and other times they're solitary. At
least on the Nature Channel.

Lions pack. Also, male cheetahs will pack in two's and threes.....Usually
brothers, and sometimes for life.

francine, near cats bizarre and hot, hates in back of it, dying firmly Enraged Amputee Cat health & behaviour 0 September 16th 05 04:03 PM
Cat Dying HELP All Man Cat anecdotes 4 May 6th 05 09:58 AM
dying cat? Tom Cat health & behaviour 24 July 16th 04 05:42 AM
Nic is Dying Sethran Cat health & behaviour 105 March 16th 04 08:18 AM
When your cat is dying MAtzori Cat health & behaviour 9 September 11th 03 07:41 PM