Ping Tweed - OT

Old September 22nd 04, 09:11 PM
Cathi

In message , Christina Websell
writes
It's OK, OJ, you haven't offended me. I didn't reply to Gordon as it seemed
you didn't like the Cockney references. Sometimes I just don't *get*
American humour and I didn't realise you were joking.
Just put it down to my sense of humour being temporarily AWOL as I still
don't feel that good.

Tweed
who knows note about talking Cockney any'ow as she's from Leicestershire but
does however know what "d'yuh wanoat t'eat?" means, and "gerroutonit!" ;-)

At this point, I feel I should try posting in the Cha'am Girl dialect,
innit?
--
Cathi

Old September 23rd 04, 12:04 AM
SUQKRT

In article ,
(LOL) wrote:

O J wrote in message

. ..
On Tue, 21 Sep, O J wrote:

On Mon, 20 Sep, Gordon wrote:

Cor, strike a lite, luv, that's nuffink: on 1 of my 3 long stays (for
spinal ops) I thought I'd cracked it when I was given half a private
side-room, the other bed being empty. Late on my first night they
moved in a geriatric with pneumonia.
I'll spare you the gory details but after some very noisy hours he
died, complete with death rattle. Later I felt so bad I nearly asked
the attending priest for last rites. (And I'm an atheist).

'Ere, we'd better do more o' this Cockernee chat so's the rest of the
NG remember that we're Brits.

Now hold on a minute ya'all. My dear sister teaches sixth grade in
Essex and tries her best to get the little kiddies to speak the
Queen's English. Ya'all can't seem to wait though to play games with
your language. If you Brits would spend more time on pronunciation
and less time thinking up words that stand for what rhymes with cities
or rhymes about kissing Gypsies, we might not be as separated by a
common language as Eastpondians and Westpondians seem to be.

Regards and Purrs,
O J "Fick as a brick" Gritmon

Fick as a brick is right! By now I was hoping to see a snappy,
good-natured comeback to what I had hoped were a few witty remarks.
Said comeback being absent fuels my chronic insecurity and prompts me
to state that if I have offended any of our readers from the UK, I'm
deeply sorry.

Regards and Purrs,
O J

PS: "Fick as a brick" is a colloquial pronunciation of "thick as a
brick", which is used to describe a dunderhead. It describes the way
I'm feeling right now. I will leave the explanation of my references
to Bristols as cities and a Gypsy's kiss to someone from whence these
terms sprung.

PPS: I can't believe my spellchecker passed "dunderhead".

Well, *I* thought it was funny, but I didn't post anything because I'm
American. Not only am I in the US, I am in the rural deep south,
where we are alleged to do some language-mangling ourselves.
Personally, I think everyone *else* talks funny. :-D

------
Krista

I thought it was cute/clever. But then I go to the Mahket to buy chowdah and
love my lobstah.
Suz
Macmoosette
Thank Heavens There's Only One

Waiting for inspiration. Please hold while I contemplate my navel.

|\__/|
(=':'=)
(")_(")

Old September 23rd 04, 04:01 AM
O J

On 22 Sep, Suz wrote:

I thought it was cute/clever. But then I go to the Mahket to buy chowdah and
love my lobstah.

A friend from Boston chanced upon an out-of-towner studying a trolley
map of the city and was asked, "Where is Noth Station? A friend told
me to take the trolley to Noth Station. I've been looking for it for
a half hour and can't find it."

My friend replied, "Here it is, Noth -- N*O*R*T*H -- Station."

Regards and Purrs,
O J

Old September 23rd 04, 04:04 AM
badwilson

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Exocat" wrote in message
Andrew, while doing his verbal pronunciation test: "been".

Teacher: "Andrew, that's pronounced "bin".

Andy, quick as a flash: "Can't be, look at 'Queen'"

"Two people separated by a common language" W S Churchill

Purrs right back atcha

Gordon & the TT

I think the English language must be about the hardest for anyone to

learn,
it's certainly the quirkiest when it comes to the same string of

letters
sounding different in various words. Take the "ough" string of

letters.
There's the "aw" sound as in "thought", there's "ow" as in "bough",

there's
"uff" as in "rough", there's "i" as in "sough", there's "off" as in

"cough",
and there "o" as in "though" - probably more, but that's all I can

think of
now. Silly language - not to mention the spelling quirks!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Nah, I totally disagree. As someone who learned English as a second
language, I found it very easy to learn. All those exceptions that
everyone talks about are not really that many and are easily
remembered. It certainly is much easier than German, where you have 3
genders and really long and complicated ways of expressing yourself.
And don't even get me started on Thai ;-)
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's