Gold Bond Cream +CAt = Freakout

Old February 13th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jimmyg50

Default Gold Bond Cream +CAt = Freakout

Greetings:

I searched this group for "Gold Bond," and had no luck, so I'm trying
this new post. (I also Googled similar terms with minimal success. I
was only able to find anecdotal items that echo my experience. The
Gold Bond website is of no help & they only have snail-mail contact
info.)

I put some Gold Bond cream on my hand, & my cat immediately came over
to sniff. I let him sniff, but accidentally some got on his nose. He
licked it off and then the odd behavior began.

It was like catnip x1000. Within two seconds, he went completely
nuts. Rubbing, rolling, pawing & finally he grabbed a shoe, embraced
it & began to paw & chew on it.

Obviously I'll never let him get near this stuff again, but wonder...
What in the world happened? What chemical caused this reaction, and
how did it happen so quickly?

Thanks for your help?

Old February 13th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

I don't know. I've never see Gold Bond, does it have a strong smell?

We had a cat that went crazy over Absorbine Jr.

Okay, I just looked up the ingredients in Gold Bond. It has menthol in
it which is probably what's affecting your cat, just like the menthol
did in the Absorbine for our cat.

Rhonda

Old February 13th 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Here're a copy of sites talking about cats and menthol.

One also talks about cats and bleach. We've got a couple of them
affected by that kitty-drug too. -Rhonda

http://www.paws.org/cas/resources/fa...taversives.php
http://www.sdreader.com/php/ma_show.php?id=51

Old February 13th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jimmyg50

Here's what it has for active ingredients:

Water, Propylene Glycol, Petrolatum, Stearyl Alcohol, Aloe Barbadensis
Gel, Sodium Acrylates Copolymer, Mineral Oil, Steareth 21, PPG-1
Trideceth-6, Tocopheryl Acetate, Disodium EDTA, Methyl Salicylate,
Thymol, Eucalyptol, Triethanolamine, Iodopropyl Butylcarbamate,
Diazolidinyl Urea

I was really hoping to find somebody that has actual knowledge of the
interactions of any of these specific ingredients.

Let me know if you come across anything.

Thanks for your help, though.

Old February 13th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

What cream was it -- the foot cream? All the gold cream ones I found had
menthol somewhere in it, but those were anti-itch.

Anyway, take a look at the fragrances too.

If you want specific interactions I think you need to ask a scientist
with an interest in cats. I spoke to one once about the scent of
valerian root capsules, which will also makes some of our cats roll
around and act drunk.

Rhonda

Old February 14th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jimmyg50

It is Anti-itch cream in a tube.