Injured Cat : Crushed pelvis, suggestions needed... please

Old April 25th 04, 01:12 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , MIKE at
wrote on 4/24/04 5:29 PM:

I just checked google. If you want to read the complete story, go to
http://www.google.com and key in "waffles and jill" (without the
quotes).

-MIKE

http://www.homestead.com/felinecompanions/Waffles.html

I sure hope your cat can get better. Waffles is now, once again a huntress
extraordinaire and we are regaled with stories of her exploits often on
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes. I know Helen would respond to your questions if
you asked her about Waffles experience. Please keep us posted and lots of
healing prayers your kitties way.

Karen

Old April 25th 04, 06:36 AM
minerva nine

Pelvic injury in cats often results in incontinence, you may need to express
his urine & feces if he is not doing so himself. Your vet should be able to
show you how to do this. If he goes more than a couple of days without
urinating, it could be really bad news, so keep an eye on that. The poop is
not as critical, as it will normally "flow" on it's own, as long as he
doesn't get constipated. As James Herriot said "keep the bowels open and
trust in god (sic)..." M9

"Laura Lee" wrote in message
om...
My 3 year old Calico was hit and then run over by a car yesterday
morning. A trip to the Vet told us he was in severe shock and had a
crushed pelvis. He has no feeling in one leg and his tail, although
he can move both. Today the other leg is slightly swollen. He also
cut his front gums from the impact.

The vet told us that it is up to Willie (my cat), whether he survives
this or not. Willie has a strong will and has been a survivor. He is
a rescue cat. When he was less than a week old, his Mom was hit by a
car and killed along with his four siblings. A dog attacked this poor
kitty and took out an eye. My sister in law found this kitty and a
Vet removed the eye, told her he probably wouldn't live.

I had just lost a cat to leukimia, and wasn't really looking to have
another, (I had two others at home), but when I heard about this
kitty's plight, I knew I had to help. We named his Willie, since The
Goonies is one of my husband's favorite movies, One Eyed Willie is the
pirate in the movie. I sing Little Willie to him to get him to come
to me.

We currently have Willie in a VCR box, that has one side let down. He
is lying on sturdy cardboard wrapped in newspaper and a towel. He
seems comfortable. He moves little. He cries little. I am currently
following the vets orders and giving him 10 syringes full of chicken
boullion broth every three hours and water as often as I can. He has
not urinated or defecated since the accident. His good eye is looking
better now, so I thing the shock has subsided. We have passed the 30
hour mark.

Any and all suggestions on how to keep Willie comfortable and how to
help him adjust to his new life challenge are welcome.

Thanks,

A loving mom,

Laura Lee

Old April 26th 04, 02:54 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...
My 3 year old Calico was hit and then run over by a car yesterday
morning. A trip to the Vet told us he was in severe shock and had a
crushed pelvis. He has no feeling in one leg and his tail, although
he can move both. Today the other leg is slightly swollen. He also
cut his front gums from the impact.

Oh, dear. The poor little guy.

Any and all suggestions on how to keep Willie comfortable and how to
help him adjust to his new life challenge are welcome.

I agree with the poster who suggested asking the vet how to express
Willie's urine. It is important that he go so you know there is no
blockage. A blockage could be deadly, as toxins would build up. A
catheter may be needed.

Also, see if the vet thinks some A/D mixed with water should be fed by
syringe in addition to the broth so he gets some real nutrition.
Hypoglycemia would be my worry on only getting chicken broth. Watch the
sodium content on that stuff, too. Nutrical fed with no additional food
can also lead to hypoglycemia (high sugar content leads to insulin
surge, then massive drop). I found that out while I was at the vet's
yesterday (for checkup only) and overheard the vet taking care of a sick
little Maltese who had that exact problem. She recommended the A/D, so
now I'm recommending that to you.

Other than that, I can ony wish you the best of luck and hope that
Willie recovers.

~kaeli~
User: The word computer professionals use when they mean
'idiot'.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old April 26th 04, 02:54 PM