A store that appreciates dogs ( a bit long)

Old August 21st 03, 07:40 PM
Yoj

Default A store that appreciates dogs ( a bit long)

"Dan and Nancy Mahoney" wrote in message
For the last few years my family has had a ritual of spending Sunday
mornings at the Starbucks coffee bar in Redlands (a nearby town).

Every
Sunday at 9:00 everybody would meet at the Starbucks at Orange and
Pearl. Initially it was my parents, my brother, and my brother's dog.
When I was driving a semi and away from home for weeks at a time, my
wife would join them. When I finally got out of the truck and back

into
an office job, I started going as well. When my dad passed away a

little
over a year ago it became even more important, as it's one of our
regular chances to see to how wveryone is doing and who might need

some
help.

My brother's dog Bridget was a huge fan of Starbucks. She always got

her
own frapuccino and helped us with our pastries. Bridget passed away

last
year, and Pat now brings his new dog, Maggie. As beautiful and special
as Bridget was, Maggie is even more beautiful and attracts a fair

amount
of attention.

They opened a new Starbucks a couple of weeks ago, just two blocks

from
my house and a little less than a mile from my brother's house. He

went
through the drive-through yesterday and ordered his usual coffee and
muffin. When he reached the drive-up window the person at the window
told him his order would be delayed a couple of minutes and asked if
he'd mind pulling around the front of the store, and they'd his bring
his order to him. Before he pulled away the guy at the window noticed
Maggie in the back seat and asked if that was "the Orange and Pearl
dog", and my brother confirmed that it was.

He pulled around to the front of the store and parked, and he and

Maggie
took a table on the patio. A couple of minutes later a Starbucks
employee brought Pat his order - and a small chocolate brownie
frappucino, about 2/3 full, topped with lots of whipped cream and a

big
dog biscuit.

Dan

How delightful! Thanks for sharing this story.

Joy

Old August 21st 03, 08:28 PM
Karen Chuplis

[...]

Is that not SWEET!!!!!

Karen

Old August 21st 03, 08:30 PM
Karen Chuplis

I think it's just a chocolate *flavor* not real chocolate.
Karen

"Dan and Nancy Mahoney" wrote in message
cute story, but I'm concerned about the chocolate brownie part.

Chocolate
is toxic to dogs.

We were concerned about it too, but there's so little chocolate in it
that it's never bothered Maggie.

Dan

Old August 22nd 03, 04:04 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Dan and Nancy Mahoney wrote:

[...]

You give your dog chocolate? I thought it was poison to dogs!
Old August 22nd 03, 06:46 AM
Dan and Nancy Mahoney

You give your dog chocolate? I thought it was poison to dogs!

In large quantities it can be. Maggie *never* gets much, and
the frappucinos at Starbucks use chocolate flavoring with
barely any real chocolate in it. In the three years or so
that my brother has been giving his dogs chocolate brownie
frappucinos, neither of them has ever had a problem with it.

Dan

Old August 24th 03, 01:45 PM
Jill McQuown

(top posting to save the entire story)

Awwww! How nice! Frappucino and a dog biscuit!

Jill

Old August 24th 03, 02:26 PM
CK

Jill McQuown wrote:
I'm just curious... how many people take their pets to stores with them? I
only took my dog Sampson with me when it was a quick, in & out trip, like to
a convenience store. Persia, my cat, hates the car. To her, it means
"we're going to the vet where they will poke and prod me and stick me with
needles". (She's right!)

I was in Walgreens a couple of weekends ago and was squatting down reading
labels on hair conditioner when I was suddenly licked on the shoulder. Talk
about jumping! It was a black schnauzer leaning out of a shopping cart!
I went, "Uh, Hi!" I'd expect to see a dog in PetCo but not in Walgreens!
Who takes their pets shopping with them? I didn't think dogs were allowed
in stores unless they were seeing-eye dogs?

Well, at least in Finland, pets (dogs usually) aren't allowed into
stores that sell food for hygienic reasons (as if some people would be
any cleaner...). I'm not sure if they can be taken into non-food stores
(I'm guessing that they can), but a fancy boutique might take offense as
a dog might drool or cat might sharpen their claws on some haute-couture
item...

Christine in Vantaa, Finland (Europe)
Email: christal63(at)yahoo(dot)com
Photos: http://photos.yahoo.com/christal63

Old August 25th 03, 03:49 PM
bewtifulfreak

Dan and Nancy Mahoney wrote:
You give your dog chocolate? I thought it was poison to dogs!

In large quantities it can be. Maggie *never* gets much, and
the frappucinos at Starbucks use chocolate flavoring with
barely any real chocolate in it. In the three years or so
that my brother has been giving his dogs chocolate brownie
frappucinos, neither of them has ever had a problem with it.

I'm amazed my sister-in-law's dog is still alive; she got my husband a huge
Toblerone one Christmas, and Max ate it *all*!!!

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak