Vet can't solve alergy problem, any advice?

Old March 27th 04, 04:40 AM
McQualude

Default Vet can't solve alergy problem, any advice?

My cat started scratching until he made sores at our previous residence
and the vet said it was fleas. We never saw evidence of fleas but we flea
bombed, the cat got a depo shot and flea medicine and everything was fine
for a few months. We moved. The scratching came back, the vet found no
evidence of fleas, tested for fungi, gave the cat a depo shot. It has been
3 months and the scratching is coming back. The vet has suggested we may
have to get a depo shot every 3 months forever because she doesn't have
any idea of what is causing the problem. I don't think the vet is trying
hard enough. Should I switch vets? What can I do to help identify the
problem?

Tommy is about 2 years old. The problem started about 1 year ago at our
previous residence. We have not seen any evidence of fleas. He is a
strictly indoor cat. He never eats fish (saw that in another thread).

I just thought of something... I built him a giant scratching post/ perch
that he lays on a lot. Maybe something in the old carpet I used is causing
an allergic reaction. I shampoo it and see what happens.
--
McQualude
Old March 27th 04, 06:15 AM
m. L. Briggs

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 04:40:50 GMT, McQualude
wrote:

[...]

Better still --- remove it for a month and see what happens.

Old March 27th 04, 12:26 PM
Liz

McQualude wrote in message ...
[...]

Funny your vet didn´t suggest changing foods. Most skin allergies in
dogs is because of the food. I think maybe you should change vets and
food. Try a better quality with less chemicals, and preferably canned.

Old March 27th 04, 01:01 PM
Betsy

This site has proved very helpful to me. I have the same problem with two
cats.

http://www.vetinfo.com/ceosinophilic.html

Old March 27th 04, 10:33 PM
Cheryl

McQualude dumped this in
on 26 Mar 2004:

The vet has suggested we may
have to get a depo shot every 3 months forever because she doesn't have
any idea of what is causing the problem.

My cat has to get regular depo shots, too. It really concerns me, but we
can't find the source of the problem (though I suspect a food allergy with
fish being the culprit) and as it stand now, he'll have to get shots every
time it acts up to miserable level. QOL issue, for real. He's just plain
miserable, and MEAN when his skin flares up.

--
Cheryl