Bonnie Catches a Snake

Old January 7th 04, 10:27 PM
Bev

Default Bonnie Catches a Snake

We were in Australia waiting for an hour to pass before we drove onto a
ferry to cross a river. Nearby, here was this funny ramshackle houe
with a sign outside that said 'come in, all sorts for sale' Who could
resist that! Therein lived a strange young couple.

The girl, who was dressed in some amazing colours, seized us with the
fervour of someone dying of thirst glimpsing an oasis in the desert.
"We are collectors of stuffed toys," she informed us. And so they
were. There was very little furniture but the stuffed toys were
stacked in every room. They had them arranged in tableaus - scores of
teddy bears, Momma dolls, banks of lions, tigers, you name it. "We go
to the city to get them" her even stranger partner informed us. He
seemed to be dressed in rags and his stringy hair had never seen a comb
or water.

Finally we got to the last room - where they sold their stuffed toys!
They were just a few rejects I suspect as I couldn't see them bearing to
part with many of the main treasures. "I make a lot of these," she said
proudly.

I had to buy something, they seemed so sweet and they had no money.
She even offered us a cup of coffee! We told them we were New
Zealanders and they began speculating what the stuffed toys were like
over there. I finally settled on the snake door-stop. It was
hideous. It was very light, perfect for packing in a travel bag. It
had a big snake-like head with eyes made from buttons - two large
buttons for the eyes and two more large green buttons formed half hoods
over the main eyes. There was a little red tongue made of felt.

Bonnie fell in love with the snake the first time she saw it.
She dragged it through the house, even though it was so light it was
still quite a stuggle for a small kitten. She fought it, slept with
it, rolled on it and managed to trip us up on a regular basis by leaving
it across doorways Clyde ignored the whole scenario - snakes were not
his thing!

She finally managed to lose it somewhere in the house and only
re-discovered it this morning. I saw her out of the corner of my eye
as I read the paper. She was putting on the performance of her life.
She somersaulted, pounced, rolled, bit, scratched, and went from one end
of the house to the other. She went over tables under chairs, over
chesterfields, around beds.

She wandered off after a while, looking completely satisfied.
The snake had been finally murdered. I soon found out why.
The snake could not stand the pummelling from a fully grown cat. Bonnie
had ripped it open. The snake's innards were made from that light
polystyrene and was in powdery fragments the size of large pin-heads.
It looked as if a snow-storm had struck the house from one end to the
other. As I prepared myself for the unwanted task of vacuum cleaning
the whole house I wondered what the odd girl in Australia would have
thought. It wasn't much of an end for her lovingly constructed
masterpiece!

Bev
--
I believe in an open mind, but not so open
that your brains fall out.
Old January 7th 04, 10:43 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 10:27:04 +1300, Bev wrote:

[...]

The snake sounds like an ideal toy. Maybe you could persuade the girl
to market them and start a business -- I envision those snakes being
sold to cat lovers all over the world.
Old January 7th 04, 10:44 PM
polonca12000

Wow, Bonnie is fearless!
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

snip Bonnie fell in love with the snake the first time she saw it.

Old January 7th 04, 11:11 PM
Bev

"m. L. Briggs" wrote:

[...]

They would have to be made out of more durable material though, lol,
cat-proof.

Bev
Old January 7th 04, 11:44 PM
John Biltz

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 13:27:04 -0800, Bev wrote
(in message ):

At least she could take comfort from the fact that her snake brought some
real pleasure and joy into the life of Bonnie.

Old January 8th 04, 01:01 AM
David Stevenson

Bev wrote

She wandered off after a while, looking completely satisfied.
The snake had been finally murdered. I soon found out why.
The snake could not stand the pummelling from a fully grown cat. Bonnie
had ripped it open. The snake's innards were made from that light
polystyrene and was in powdery fragments the size of large pin-heads.
It looked as if a snow-storm had struck the house from one end to the
other. As I prepared myself for the unwanted task of vacuum cleaning
the whole house I wondered what the odd girl in Australia would have
thought. It wasn't much of an end for her lovingly constructed
masterpiece!

You are just going to have to go back and buy a dozen!

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome
Old January 8th 04, 01:16 AM
Yoj

I'd say Bonnie got your money's worth from that snake. ;-)

--
Joy

Life is what happens to you while you are planning to do something else.

Old January 8th 04, 09:51 AM
Kajikit

Bev saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us all about
it on Thu, 08 Jan 2004 10:27:04 +1300:

She wandered off after a while, looking completely satisfied.
The snake had been finally murdered. I soon found out why.
The snake could not stand the pummelling from a fully grown cat. Bonnie
had ripped it open. The snake's innards were made from that light
polystyrene and was in powdery fragments the size of large pin-heads.
It looked as if a snow-storm had struck the house from one end to the
other. As I prepared myself for the unwanted task of vacuum cleaning
the whole house I wondered what the odd girl in Australia would have
thought. It wasn't much of an end for her lovingly constructed
masterpiece!

But it made Bonnie so very very happy
--

Karen AKA Kajikit

Here kitty kitty kitty... visit http://www.catslaves.org!

Come and visit my part of the web:
Kajikit's Corner: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
Old January 8th 04, 10:25 PM
Tanada

Bev wrote:

She wandered off after a while, looking completely satisfied.
The snake had been finally murdered. I soon found out why.
The snake could not stand the pummelling from a fully grown cat. Bonnie
had ripped it open. The snake's innards were made from that light
polystyrene and was in powdery fragments the size of large pin-heads.
It looked as if a snow-storm had struck the house from one end to the
other. As I prepared myself for the unwanted task of vacuum cleaning
the whole house I wondered what the odd girl in Australia would have
thought. It wasn't much of an end for her lovingly constructed
masterpiece!

You scared me at first. I didn't know that New Zealand doesn't have
snakes. That makes it my kind of place:-) I couldn't understand how
you could be so cheerful about Bonnie taking on a serpent.

My crew has fallen in love with and disappeared a cloth draft stop that
looks like a calico cat with and incredibly long body and tail. I used
it on both doors and windows, but Pine Cone decided it was out to get
someone and made off with it. The last time I saw it, Huey and
Squeakers were arguing over who got to kill it next. I walked over to
get it from the cats, and Huey ran down the hall towing it behind him.
I finally decided that the cats were having too much fun, and I could
live with a slight intake of air from the front door.

Pam S.
Old January 8th 04, 10:52 PM
Bev

Tanada wrote:

Bev wrote:

[...]

Pam, It's interesting that cats universally seem to like these long door
stops. We don't have any nasty spiders to speak of here either

Bev
--
I believe in an open mind, but not so open
that your brains fall out.

Jjohn Rescues Bonnie! Bev Cat anecdotes 6 December 15th 03 11:02 PM
Bonnie - Forbidden Fruit Bev Cat anecdotes 4 November 24th 03 02:18 AM
Bonnie!! Bev Cat anecdotes 15 November 5th 03 07:08 PM
A Bonnie Story (glimpse into her purrsonality) MaryL Cat anecdotes 3 September 18th 03 07:35 AM
Three Stikes and you're Out - Bonnie Bev Cat anecdotes 5 August 25th 03 07:57 AM