ringworms

Old August 19th 04, 02:16 PM

Default ringworms

Have a lovely affectionate INDOOR kitten named Nika. Only one real problem.
Somehow, somewhere she picked up ringworms. I'm about ready to give up.
Just when I think it's under control it seems to spread.

Eschew Obfuscation.

Old August 19th 04, 02:56 PM
Jeannie

wrote in message
Have a lovely affectionate INDOOR kitten named Nika. Only one real

problem.
Somehow, somewhere she picked up ringworms. I'm about ready to give up.
Just when I think it's under control it seems to spread.

Eschew Obfuscation.

Have a look at this link which details treatments available for ringworm
(there are loads more if you Google):

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ringworm.html

My sister caught ringworm from a stray cat in Cyprus so be aware that you
can catch it from your cat too!

Jeannie

---

Old August 20th 04, 06:11 AM
-L. :

wrote in message ...
Have a lovely affectionate INDOOR kitten named Nika. Only one real problem.
Somehow, somewhere she picked up ringworms. I'm about ready to give up.
Just when I think it's under control it seems to spread.

Ringworm is a fungus. The cat can be reinfected from the environment.
You can catch it as well. Some cats seem to have systemic ringworm.
Have you tried Program? You can buy it online and it is very
effective in controlling ringworm. Here is a post I made months ago
about treating my cat Peewee for ringworm with Program:

"Let me preface this post with the fact that I am not a vet...

BUT, if your cat has ringworm, but is otherwise healthy, you may be
able to save yourself the $80 I just spent by foregoing a visit to the
vet and treating your cat with Program. It is an off-label use, but
one that my vet recommended. Peewee was prescribed Program at 44mg/lb
of body weight - one dose, followed by another dose one month later,
as insurance. I then treat him monthly with the standard cat dosage
as a preventative."

I bought the "large dog" dosage in chewable tablet form and crushed
them up into a little tuna - the cat ate it "all gone" immediately.
Worked like a charm.

HTH,
-L.

Old August 21st 04, 03:28 PM

Making headway.
Took Nika to the vet for rabies, distemper, etc. shots.
She does NOT have feline lukemia. Hooray.
Vet is pleased with our progress combating the ringworm.
Still using a topical medicine, but I'm being more agressive about getting
it on her paws,
which seems to be how it is spreading--i. e., she scratches her neck, gets
it on her paws,
scratches some more, etc.
So the vet gave her a steriod shot which makes it itch less (supposedly). I
wonder how they know?
"So kitty, does that feel better?"
"Meow."
"How about this?"
"Meow."

In any case, she is scratching less and it's probably a combination of the
steroids and the topical on her paws.
Since the topical stings, she's less likely to put it on her neck.

If all else fails, according to the very good information passed along to me
by the folks on this newsgroup,
the ringworm will die of its own accord in 4 months. Hopefully I won't have
to wait that long.

Peace be with you all.

Old August 22nd 04, 08:10 AM
-L. :

wrote in message ...
[...]

Not exactly true. While some cases of ringworm are self-limiting, many
are not. Ringworm can infect an animal indefinitely. It stays in the
environment and can reinfect an animal as well. You need to treat the
animal until it tests negative for ringworm.

http://www.fabcats.org/ringworm.html

http://www.vetinfo.com/cringwrm.html

http://www.newmanveterinary.com/Fact...0Ringworm.html

-L.