Sorta OT - Just horrifying

Old June 17th 05, 11:33 PM
Cheryl

Default Sorta OT - Just horrifying

I've stopped shaking and vomiting enough to post about this because
I thought it was important to get this message out.

Driving home from work tonight on the DC Capital beltway, stuck in
traffic as usual, and I saw a dog jump out of the window of the car
it was in when the driver had to come to a stop for traffic. The
lane I was in was moving, but slowly. The dog ran across two lanes
(one was where I was) toward the median, then never hesitated and
jumped over the median to the other side where traffic was flowing
freely. The driver/dog owner got out of his car and stood for a few
seconds in disbelief and probably wondering how he could run after
the dog even though traffic was still flowing slowly in the two
lanes that the dog had run across (it all happened so fast I'm sure
many didn't even see the dog) then when he saw the dog jump the
median, he didn't hesitate and ran after him. When he himself got
to the median and was about to hop it, he suddenly screamed and
wailed and dropped to the ground. He had just seen his dog hit. I
was screaming and crying and now I am again and shaking and in
shock and trying to drive my truck so I didn't get hit from behind,
blinded by tears. I was and am just SO ANGRY at this man for
allowing this situation even though he was in total agony himself
by what he'd just seen and had really caused himself. Why would the
dog jump out of the car? What in the world could have been going
on his head? I was in shock and probably should have pulled over
but I wasn't thinking clearly I was just absolutely horrified.

People please! Don't let your animals have this freedom in the car.
You just don't know what they will do! The ones that make me even
more furious are the ones who let their dogs ride in the back of a
pickup truck. STUPID!! I have, and will continue to, yell at these
people when I see it.

--
Very sad, angry and ill Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old June 17th 05, 11:40 PM
KellyH

"Cheryl" wrote in message
I've stopped shaking and vomiting enough to post about this because
I thought it was important to get this message out.

snip

OMG Cheryl! I'm so sorry you had to see that. I know I would have been
freaked out too. I can't imagine what that man is going through. So many
people, even people I know who are good dog owners, just put the dog in the
car and go. No kennel, no harness. It's just not safe!!
Oh, and don't get me started about dogs and kids in the back of a pick-up.
UGH!!!

--
-Kelly

Old June 17th 05, 11:56 PM
Karen

Just no words. For any of you. Terrible I'm so sorry. For everyone.

Old June 18th 05, 12:03 AM
Candace

Cheryl wrote:
I've stopped shaking and vomiting enough to post about this because
I thought it was important to get this message out.

Oh, no, that's too awful and too sad! I'm very sorry for all of you
who saw it, for the poor dog especially, of course, and the owner who
made a mistake. I always wonder why dogs don't jump out more than they
do from open windows and the backs of trucks. I'm also terribly sorry
for the person who hit the dog as I'm sure it was unavoidable and a
terrible shock to them, too. Poor, poor pup.

Candace

Old June 18th 05, 12:19 AM
Glitter Ninja

Cheryl writes:

[snip]

Oh Cheryl, I'm so sorry. What a terrible situation for everyone, the
dog, witnesses, owner, and the person who hit the dog. Just awful, it
never should have happened.

Stacia

Old June 18th 05, 12:22 AM
biggerbadderbarry

Cheryl wrote:
People please! Don't let your animals have this freedom in the car.
You just don't know what they will do! The ones that make me even
more furious are the ones who let their dogs ride in the back of a
pickup truck. STUPID!! I have, and will continue to, yell at these
people when I see it.

--
Very sad, angry and ill Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields

Sorry Cheryl

Common sense should tell us not to let animals roam in a vehicle.
I have always thought it should be a matter of law, a dog can outweigh
a child easily. You get heavy tickets and fines here if you child is
not belted in.

A carrier should be used, and the carrier can be belted in.

Someone may swerve to avoid say a dog, and then run head on into
another car and so on. If he was not going to secure the dog, he could
have kept the window up. He coulda killed many people with that stunt.

Dogs who hang thier heads out the window get eye infections.

Old June 18th 05, 12:27 AM
blkcatgal

What a horrible story! I've seen people driving along with their dogs
hanging out the window and I just shake my head.....and dogs in the back of
pick up trucks...it just makes me cring!

S.

Old June 18th 05, 02:42 AM
JQ

Oh my! I'm so sorry you had to see that, I would be an absolute mess if
I witnessed that! Poor innocent dogs, at least he's safe now and at
peace and can run all he wants to. I sure wish there we laws against
animals riding freely in cars and in the back of trucks. I saw 2 dogs
just yesturday in the back of a truck and the front window was open so
they were jumping back and forth from the passenger front of the truck
to the open back and the guy was driving about 130 miles/hour! Just
crazy! Selfish, i tried to speed up to him to catch up to him on the
off ramp to yell at him but no luck, which is probably best not to get
him all mad and more careless.
So sorry you had to witness that but atleast you have the gift of
sending this message now to everyone - messages like yours need to be
heard.
take care, Jacquie