yowling in the middle of the night

Old November 20th 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default yowling in the middle of the night

Hi all-

we just moved. my dear Buddha, who is a 14 yr old adult male tabby, has
taken to yowling in the middle of the night. even if I shut him out of
the bedroom, he still meows loud enough to be heard through the door
and wake me and my non-cat-loving husband in the middle of the night.

he does it when we are in another room from him also. we had to board
him for a week during the move.

what can I do to make him less anxious? IF that's what it is.

Old November 20th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all-

we just moved. my dear Buddha, who is a 14 yr old adult male tabby, has
taken to yowling in the middle of the night. even if I shut him out of
the bedroom, he still meows loud enough to be heard through the door
and wake me and my non-cat-loving husband in the middle of the night.

he does it when we are in another room from him also. we had to board
him for a week during the move.

what can I do to make him less anxious? IF that's what it is.

Surely the move made him anxious, but this type of vocalizing is a symptom
of an overactive thyroid. He is at the right age for it, too. Have him
tested. It is easy to correct, but if you don't correct it, he can have as
stroke. (It sends their heart rates out of control.) I caught our Boo's
late, and she is now on a beta blocker AND the hyperthyroid drugs because
her heart rate is sometimes unstable, possibly from having such a fast heart
rate for so long.

Old November 21st 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

Both posters are correct - please take to a vet asap and have tested
for thyroid - that is probalby what it it and if not, then hearing.

Old November 21st 06, 12:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all-

we just moved. my dear Buddha, who is a 14 yr old adult male tabby, has
taken to yowling in the middle of the night. even if I shut him out of
the bedroom, he still meows loud enough to be heard through the door
and wake me and my non-cat-loving husband in the middle of the night.

he does it when we are in another room from him also. we had to board
him for a week during the move.

what can I do to make him less anxious? IF that's what it is.

Have patience and understanding. Give him as much reassurance as possible-
but not when he meows- and try to minimize stress in his environment as much
as possible- which may be difficult with a non-cat-loving spouse whose
probably exacerbating your cat's anxiety.

Boarding him for a week and moving to a new house can be a traumatic
experience for a cat- especially for a 14 year old cat who may have some
degree of cognitive dysfunction. Remember, he may be 14 to you- but his
physiology is comparable to a 72 year old person.

His whole world was changed abruptly. He's probably still a little
disoriented and/or fearful. He may also be losing some of his senses-
especially hearing which may be why he meows when he can't see you and at
night.

The first order of business is a geriatric exam to rule out medical
problems. The exam should include bloodwork to assess organ function-
especially thyroid and kidneys.

He really needs your love and understanding more now than ever before.

Phil