diet needs

Old April 5th 11, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

Default diet needs

A billion, but we need to know your special diet needs to answer.

From: "CatNipped"
Subject: OT - I'm SO Discouraged
Date: Sunday, April 03, 2011 11:29 PM

Granted, I was carrying a lot of fluid (my feet and hands were twice their
normal size), but at the surgeon's office I weighed in at 104. The day I
was discharged from the hospital I weighed myself on my digital scale and it
showed 104.0.

Well, I just weighed myself again and I weighed 97.6! That's 6.4 pounds I
lost in two days!!! The surgeon won't do the surgery to reverse the
ileostomy until I gain at least 20 - 25 pounds, and I can't do that going
backwards.

Eating and drinking sugary/high fat foods didn't help - they just gave me
diarrhea and made the situation worse.

Back on-topic... does anyone have any suggestions / recipes for high caloric
/ high protein meals and snacks?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old April 5th 11, 03:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_5_]

The surgeon (and the in-house doctor) said I could have anything - no
restrictions, the only requirement is for me to gain weight. Of course, I
don't want to eat junk food, but anything high in protein* and high in
calories is OK.

So far, I've been told/read that the following are good, but I have to
wonder if too high fiber are really good for me because of the intestinal
issues. My list so far:

meats, of course
avocados
almonds or any type of nuts
a lot of whole-grain bread (eaten at every meal)

Again, high calorie is OK, some fat is OK, but I don't want to eat a lot of
saturated fats for the sake of my overall health. I just get really
frustrated because, no matter how much I eat, I seem to keep losing weight.

*Right now I'm losing hair in clumps, my nails almost completely stopped
growing and the little bit there bends backwards like paper. The wound,
however, is healing pretty nicely, so I'm thinking that my body is
"rerouting" nutrients there (which is OK with me if the requirement for
surgery weren't weight gain).

Old April 5th 11, 02:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Apr 5, 1:05*am, hopitus wrote:
On Apr 4, 8:39*pm, "CatNipped" wrote:

[...]

I got a food suggestion. Ever since it became popular lately I ignored
and
abandoned the notion of eating "Greek" yogurt. I eat a lot of yogurt
but I
hate Greek food in general and mistakenly believed the yogurt with
that
name tasted like Greek food. Well,, recently my friend Plastic Woman
from FL (you remember she of Moe, her Tux cat who was lost and found
in Kansas City) straightened me out totally; not only is Greek yogurt
good
but it is loaded with protein and easy to digest as well. It comes in
flavors
and thanks to the current acceptance by public consumption is
available
from several mfgrs in grocery stores.It is not thin and runny like
regular
yogurt, but thick like pudding and if you turn spoonful ups9de down,
will
not fall off or drip down.If you are not a yogurt person...its more
like
eating pudding, to me.

That's a great suggestion. Not only does Greek yogurt has lots of
protein,
but it has bacteria cultures that are good for the GI tract. So that
should
be good for Lori
I tried Greek yogurt for the first time recently and found I prefer
the regular
yogurt. But to each his/her own.

OT - New Diet CatNipped[_2_] Cat anecdotes 34 February 27th 10 10:36 PM
raw diet ? [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 1 June 4th 07 02:35 PM
Diet. Z Cat health & behaviour 0 May 23rd 07 11:50 PM
Cat on a diet [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 16 December 22nd 05 02:48 AM
try not to look a diet Linda Cat health & behaviour 0 September 13th 05 03:01 PM