Weird thing (computer related)

Old November 26th 13, 06:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Weird thing (computer related)

I got an email from Yahoo saying:
Hi Tweed,

We noticed a login attempt to your Yahoo account (uk_tweed) from an
unrecognised device on Mon, Nov 25, 2013 14:09 MST from United States.

Was this you? If so, you need to pass Yahoo second sign-in
verification or sign in from the device you normally use.

------------
No it wasn't me.

I've changed my password to something unguessable.

Bad luck whoever it was. Now since I hardly use Yahoo there aren't
many people it could be. Unless of course it wasn't really Yahoo giving me
this sign-in alert. Let's not go there.

Tweed

Old November 26th 13, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Christina Websell wrote:
I got an email from Yahoo saying:
Hi Tweed,

We noticed a login attempt to your Yahoo account (uk_tweed) from an
unrecognised device on Mon, Nov 25, 2013 14:09 MST from United States.

Was this you? If so, you need to pass Yahoo second sign-in
verification or sign in from the device you normally use.

------------
No it wasn't me.

I've changed my password to something unguessable.

Bad luck whoever it was. Now since I hardly use Yahoo there aren't
many people it could be. Unless of course it wasn't really Yahoo giving me
this sign-in alert. Let's not go there.

Tweed

I hope you didn't REPLY to it! Such "notifications" are usually
attempts to hack your account - I just mark them "report as Spam" and
delete them (usually unread).

Old November 26th 13, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"The Other Guy" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 18:30:01 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

I got an email from Yahoo saying:
Hi Tweed,

We noticed a login attempt to your Yahoo account (uk_tweed) from an
unrecognised device on Mon, Nov 25, 2013 14:09 MST from United States.

Was this you? If so, you need to pass Yahoo second sign-in
verification or sign in from the device you normally use.

------------
No it wasn't me.

I've changed my password to something unguessable.

Bad luck whoever it was. Now since I hardly use Yahoo there aren't
many people it could be. Unless of course it wasn't really Yahoo giving me
this sign-in alert. Let's not go there.

If there was a link IN that message, and you used it, you probably
gave someone your new password.

I went to the true Yahoo page (you scared me) and my new password works.
They did really alert me about someone trying to get into my account from
the USA. The chances of anyone knowing my Yahoo address is minimal so I
have a good idea about who tried from the USA. So I will say to that person,
best not try again.
Tweed

Old November 26th 13, 08:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

wrote:

I got an email from Yahoo saying:
Hi Tweed,

We noticed a login attempt to your Yahoo account (uk_tweed) from an
unrecognised device on Mon, Nov 25, 2013 14:09 MST from United States.

Was this you? If so, you need to pass Yahoo second sign-in
verification or sign in from the device you normally use.

------------
No it wasn't me.

I've changed my password to something unguessable.

Bad luck whoever it was. Now since I hardly use Yahoo there aren't
many people it could be. Unless of course it wasn't really Yahoo giving me
this sign-in alert. Let's not go there.

If there was a link IN that message, and you used it, you probably
gave someone your new password.

It seemed pretty clear from Tweed's post that she's well aware it wasn't
really from Yahoo, and I seriously doubt she clicked the link.

--
Joyce

Hi, this is the Sylvia stress reduction hotline. At the sound of
the beep, repeat after me: "This week, let someone else strive for
excellence." -- Nicole Hollander
Old November 26th 13, 09:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

[...]

It actually was from Yahoo this time. I went to their proper site to check
that my new password worked, it does. It was a genuine post from Yahoo,
alerting me to someone trying to access my account. As I only use that
account for catslaves this narrows it down unless some random person in the
USA comes up with the idea that uk_tweed is a good idea to go with.
I doubt that.
Doesn't matter now, no-one can ever guess my new password.

Great job, Yahoo.

Tweed

Old November 27th 13, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

I got an email from Yahoo saying:
: We noticed a login attempt to your Yahoo account [...] from an
: unrecognised device on Mon, Nov 25, 2013 14:09 MST from United
: States.
: Was this you? If so, you need to pass Yahoo second sign-in
: verification or sign in from the device you normally use.

It seemed pretty clear from Tweed's post that she's well aware
it wasn't really from Yahoo

It probably *was* a legit message from Yahoo, reporting an attempt
at accessing her account. I had similar messages from Google when
I was in Malaysia and New Zealand earlier this year - I'd been trying
to use Gmail from an iPhone or local internet cafes, and since I'd
never accessed their service before from anywhere within thousands
of miles, they marked the access as suspicious and got me to use the
backup authentication method. Which is exactly what they should
have done. In this case the access attempt seems not have been
legit, but the response on Yahoo's part was appropriate, and was
exactly what she signed up for.

I didn't see the original message (I have Tweed killfiled) but it
doesn't look like she provided enough information to tell whether
the response purporting to be from Yahoo had been faked. It could
be, but there's no reason to suppose so this time.

Old November 27th 13, 11:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

~~~~~~~~
There has been a lot of this recently. It does not necessarily mean that
someone you know has been trying to get into your account--some unknown
hacker could be trying. I also had to change my password. I did it by
going directly to the place in Yahoo to set/change passwords. I did NOT
reply to the message, but I wanted to let you know that your suspicions
about some specific person may be unfounded.

MaryL

Old November 28th 13, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
[...]

Just in case, I've changed my password on the Yahoo site again tonight.
I'm sorry to hear Jack has me killfiled, but we don't get on too well. I
always have a New Year Amnesty and release everyone from my killfile on
Usenet, not that's there's many. It's then up to them to not be so
objectionable for me to put them there again.

No-one is in my killfile indefinitely, they get a chance every year.
Jack is not in my killfile now, he's stopped being such an

Tweed

Old November 28th 13, 06:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

[...]

Maybe so, I hope not, but I've changed my Yahoo password again today on
their site, and good luck to anyone trying to guess it with capital letters
and numbers in.
It's pointless really for anyone to try to use it from the USA, are they
trying to buy something with it?
The chances of anyone knowing my Yahoo address in a random way is unlikely.
But hey, maybe those spambots are on catslaves?
Which is the only place I use my Yahoo address.

Old December 1st 13, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

m...

Christina Websell wrote:
I got an email from Yahoo saying:
Hi Tweed,

We noticed a login attempt to your Yahoo account (uk_tweed) from an
unrecognised device on Mon, Nov 25, 2013 14:09 MST from United States.

Was this you? If so, you need to pass Yahoo second sign-in
verification or sign in from the device you normally use.

------------
No it wasn't me.

I've changed my password to something unguessable.

Bad luck whoever it was. Now since I hardly use Yahoo there aren't
many people it could be. Unless of course it wasn't really Yahoo giving
me this sign-in alert. Let's not go there.

Tweed

I hope you didn't REPLY to it! Such "notifications" are usually attempts
to hack your account - I just mark them "report as Spam" and delete them
(usually unread).

I am fairly sure it was genuine but I have changed my password on the
genuine Yahoo site now.
Doesn't matter much as i only use it on catslaves or whippet sites.