Rhett has a new obsession

Old May 27th 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Rhett has a new obsession

Christina Websell wrote:

"Cheryl" wrote in message

Now that humidifier season is over, Rhett's had to find something
else to get in trouble with. Now he's pulling the air duct registers
out of the floor. This could be bad.

Now I just *have* to know what an air duct register is/ what on earth is it?
Tweed
(Brit, please excuse)

A lot of American houses have central air and heat systems which include
conduits under the floors. In order for the heat/cold to reach the
rooms intended they have little holes in the floors with a metal plate
with slots or holes cut into them to let the desired temperatures out.
There is usually a small wheel on the side that lets you open or close
slats to regulate how much heat or cold goes into any given room. For
some odd reason, some of these designs are not made to be bolted down so
that they cannot be lifted up from the floor by those strong enough
(like Rhett) to do so. Ours are a decorative style that doesn't bolt
down, but in our case that is good as the cats seem to think that the
floor duct system is a soccer goal and try to slap all sorts of foreign
objects into them. In most rooms this is not possible, but the dining
room vent is in an awkward place and has been damaged to the point that
anything less than an inch in diameter can and will go down it.

Rhett is a strong kitty.

Pam S.
Old May 27th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:
"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"Cheryl" wrote in message
Now that humidifier season is over, Rhett's had to find something
else to get in trouble with. Now he's pulling the air duct
registers
out of the floor. This could be bad.

Now I just *have* to know what an air duct register is/ what on
earth
is it? Tweed
(Brit, please excuse)

Here in 'Merika, a lot of homes/apartments have central
heating/cooling.
What's to say is that air is heated/cooled and blown through aluminum
(aluminium for you, Tweed ) ductwork (which is where Duct tape
comes
into play - it was originally used to tape these together, to patch
holes
in them, etc., etc, and it was silver to match the ducts - but no,
now we
butchered up the language and call it "duck" tape (possibly because
the
inventor/manufacturer has a picture of a little yellow duck on every
package), instead of the proper term of ducT tape) and vents that
runs
through floors (if your house has a basement/crawlspace), ceiling (no
basement, but attic space) or walls (no basement nor attic, but the
unit
is located in a centralized location in the home, and the vents only
go a
short distance through the walls to each room). The 'register' is
what is
used to cover the opening in the floor/wall/ceiling but still let air
through. Some of them can be directional to aim the air to
particular (or
different) parts of the room (they refer to these types as
diffusers),
some can be closed off so that you can save money by not
heating/cooling a
room not in use. The registers can be drab things, painted to match
the
floor/wall/ceiling, or they can be highly decorative, such as this
one
here, made to look like a Victorian era 'grate':

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...410&lpage=none

Are you confused enough now?

No, your explanation was great. It's not necessary to have these air
ducts
in England, as it's always firkin cold ;-)

If I did have such a thing, and my cat was removing it I would tape
it down.

Tweed

Well, I live in England and I have them, but for heating only. Rosie (RB)
used to love to sit on them in winter and warm her bum. :-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old May 27th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Adrian A" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"Cheryl" wrote in message

[snippy]

No, your explanation was great. It's not necessary to have these air
ducts
in England, as it's always firkin cold ;-)

If I did have such a thing, and my cat was removing it I would tape
it down.

Tweed

Well, I live in England and I have them, but for heating only. Rosie (RB)
used to love to sit on them in winter and warm her bum. :-)

You have underfloor blow-out heating ducts in your house?? How did you get
them?
I freeze in the winter.

Tweed

Old May 28th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Adrian A wrote:

Well, I live in England and I have them, but for heating only. Rosie (RB)
used to love to sit on them in winter and warm her bum. :-)

Rob used to do that after a night flight in cold weather. 10,000 feet
is awful cold and no amount of clothing seemed to keep it out. He would
sit on the register and wrap his poncho liner around him to help keep
the air in. Usually there was a cat under that liner as well.

Pam S.
Old May 28th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-05-27, Christina Websell penned:

You have underfloor blow-out heating ducts in your house?? How did
you get them? I freeze in the winter.

Granted, I'm in the US, but all the houses I've lived in had ducts that
were used for both A/C and heating. We have a single electronic
doohickie (technical term) which we can switch from heat, to fan, to
cold, or even off. Even if we have it set to neither hot nor cold, we
typically leave it on the fan setting so that air circulates. There's a
significant temperature difference on each floor, and we're hoping the
fan helps smooth that out.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old May 28th 06, 11:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:
"Adrian A" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"Cheryl" wrote in message

[snippy]

No, your explanation was great. It's not necessary to have these
air ducts
in England, as it's always firkin cold ;-)

If I did have such a thing, and my cat was removing it I would tape
it down.

Tweed

Well, I live in England and I have them, but for heating only. Rosie
(RB) used to love to sit on them in winter and warm her bum. :-)

You have underfloor blow-out heating ducts in your house?? How did
you get them?
I freeze in the winter.

Tweed

They were here when I moved in five years ago. The only problem was finding
somebody qualified to service it, luckily I found a chap that only lives
half a mile away.

Old May 30th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Adrian A" wrote in message
news
Christina Websell wrote:
"Adrian A" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"Cheryl" wrote in message

[snippy]

No, your explanation was great. It's not necessary to have these
air ducts
in England, as it's always firkin cold ;-)

If I did have such a thing, and my cat was removing it I would tape
it down.

Tweed

Well, I live in England and I have them, but for heating only. Rosie
(RB) used to love to sit on them in winter and warm her bum. :-)

You have underfloor blow-out heating ducts in your house?? How did
you get them?
I freeze in the winter.

Tweed

They were here when I moved in five years ago. The only problem was
finding
somebody qualified to service it, luckily I found a chap that only lives
half a mile away.

Wow, Lucky you. I wish I had them. It's nice to be eco-friendly and have a
woodburner but when I come home from work I have to set it all up to burn
newspaper, little sticks, bigger sticks etc. By the time it's throwing out
decent heat it's nearly time to go to bed.
It would be ideal if I could stay at home all day.
The problem with a woodburner is that if you go out it does too.

Tweed

Tweed