[OT] Update On Broken Arm

Old August 8th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped

Default [OT] Update On Broken Arm

I saw the doctor today for follow-up x-rays and the news was good - the bone
still wasn't displaced (despite my boss hounding me like a slave driver*).
But I'll be in the cast another 4 weeks (and he said I could expect the pain
to last until I get out of the cast!!!!! - I've never broken a bone before,
I thought it would quit hurting after a few days!!!!!!!!!!!!).

* Friday, the day I broke my arm, my boss told me at 2:00PM that he needed
new logos for ConnectWise (a time recording / accounting system), Quickbooks
(an AP/AR system), the three web sites, and for the business cards and
"give-aways" for the two (combined) companies - then proceeded to give me
revisions to do on the web site for the rest of the day (even though he said
he needed the Quickbooks logos before the following Wednesday when invoices
went out). I was out getting my cast on the following Monday, but he copied
me on an email that day where he was replying to the printer who wanted to
know where the hell was the artwork he was supposed to send them *weeks*
ago. He told them *I* would have it to them by the end of the week. Last
Tuesday, when I returned to work, I asked him to prioritize the logo
creation - which did he want done first? He said, "All of them!" "What?" I
asked. "I said *ALL* of them," he replied, "*TODAY*!!" By two o'clock I
had to create 170 graphic files - *WITH A BROKEN ARM*!!!!!

And it's been the same every day since. By the time I get home (after
driving 1.5 hours through rush hour traffic), I have been in such pain that
all I can do is crawl in bed and weep. That's why I haven't been posting -
although I have been trying to at least read the OP posts, if not the
replies.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 8th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

CatNipped wrote:
ago. He told them *I* would have it to them by the end of the week. Last
Tuesday, when I returned to work, I asked him to prioritize the logo
creation - which did he want done first? He said, "All of them!" "What?" I
asked. "I said *ALL* of them," he replied, "*TODAY*!!" By two o'clock I
had to create 170 graphic files - *WITH A BROKEN ARM*!!!!!

There are three variables that one can play with regarding most projects:
- requirements (what do you want? quality)
- duration (when do you want it?)
- resources (who is going to do it? how much it's going to cost?)
Management can fix two out of those three. Only two. If you want it all
and fast, it's going to cost you. If you want it cheap and fast, it's
not going to be good. If you want it well done but cannot spend money,
it's going to take a while.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old August 8th 06, 05:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 21:40:17 -0500, Victor Martinez
wrote:

CatNipped wrote:
ago. He told them *I* would have it to them by the end of the week. Last
Tuesday, when I returned to work, I asked him to prioritize the logo
creation - which did he want done first? He said, "All of them!" "What?" I
asked. "I said *ALL* of them," he replied, "*TODAY*!!" By two o'clock I
had to create 170 graphic files - *WITH A BROKEN ARM*!!!!!

There are three variables that one can play with regarding most projects:
- requirements (what do you want? quality)
- duration (when do you want it?)
- resources (who is going to do it? how much it's going to cost?)
Management can fix two out of those three. Only two. If you want it all
and fast, it's going to cost you. If you want it cheap and fast, it's
not going to be good. If you want it well done but cannot spend money,
it's going to take a while.

Sometimes stated more briefly as "Cheap, good, or fast. Pick any
two." Your version states the meaning more clearly, however.

I have had a few managers in the past who took the attitude "I want
all of these items done first!", and didn't seem to understand why
this wasn't possible to accomplish.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old August 8th 06, 06:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"CatNipped" wrote:
Last Tuesday, when I returned to work, I asked him to prioritize the logo
creation - which did he want done first? He said, "All of them!" "What?" I
asked. "I said *ALL* of them," he replied, "*TODAY*!!" By two o'clock I
had to create 170 graphic files - *WITH A BROKEN ARM*!!!!!

Geez. Purrs for job improvement. And purrs for your poor arm too.

Old August 8th 06, 10:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

CatNipped wrote:
snip
And it's been the same every day since. By the time I get home (after
driving 1.5 hours through rush hour traffic), I have been in such
pain that all I can do is crawl in bed and weep. That's why I
haven't been posting - although I have been trying to at least read
the OP posts, if not the replies.

Your post brings to mind the phrase, "He needed killin'"
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old August 9th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

CatNipped wrote:

I saw the doctor today for follow-up x-rays and the news was good - the bone
still wasn't displaced (despite my boss hounding me like a slave driver*).
But I'll be in the cast another 4 weeks (and he said I could expect the pain
to last until I get out of the cast!!!!! - I've never broken a bone before,
I thought it would quit hurting after a few days!!!!!!!!!!!!).

* Friday, the day I broke my arm, my boss told me at 2:00PM that he needed
new logos for ConnectWise (a time recording / accounting system), Quickbooks
(an AP/AR system), the three web sites, and for the business cards and
"give-aways" for the two (combined) companies - then proceeded to give me
revisions to do on the web site for the rest of the day (even though he said
he needed the Quickbooks logos before the following Wednesday when invoices
went out). snip

Lots of healing purrs for your arm and hopes that you find a great new
job really soon,
Polonca and Soncek

[OT] Update a/c purrs Mark Edwards Cat anecdotes 2 July 22nd 06 03:51 AM
[OT] Mum update Yowie Cat anecdotes 16 November 15th 05 08:09 PM
[OT] Wilma Update 20A Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 0 October 20th 05 03:07 PM
Dad Update [OT] jmcquown Cat anecdotes 26 May 8th 05 11:32 PM
[OT] Just needed to vent - UPDATE 20/11 JA Gory Cat anecdotes 23 November 25th 03 04:33 AM