[OT] Poor baby birds!

Old August 7th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Suzuko

Default Poor baby birds!

Kreisleriana wrote:
Why would Christina want to
profit by something so disgusting? I don't think that's any more
morally defensible than putting the spurs on the critters oneself, and
I don't think suggesting she should or would do such a thing is any
less ugly.

I never said or suggested this. Those ideas were added by other people,
including you.

There is nothing false in what I wrote. With such a comprehensive
knowledge of the care of baby chicks, she could consult for the
cockfighting "industry".

Now, if I had written something to the effect of "Hey, Christina, I bet
you'd love to help out the cockfighting industry with your knowledge of
bird care" I'd be stupid not to expect being attacked left and right.

But that is not what I said, nor is it even close to what I meant. And
no matter how many people attempt to persuade me that it is, nor how
many join in a chorus of "WELL SAID" at these efforts, the fact that I
said what I said, and ONLY what I said, remains. All the speculative
commentary on it really is pointless.

You suggest that I am "digging in" while at the same time your own
focus seems to be to back me into a corner and force me to say that I
meant whatever you and some others prefer to think I meant, and be
sorry for meaning it, and you say that my refusal reflects badly on me.

But there are other possible points of view on the matter - such as
that a balanced and healthy response to my comment might have been
something to the effect of "LOL, sure, but cockfighting sucks, I want
no part of it!"

I would also offer that no single human being knows or can know all the
data on who has what hot buttons. For some of us, learning to recognize
our own is a higher priority than turning oneself inside out trying to
please the rest of the world.

Old August 7th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On 7 Aug 2006 12:38:35 -0700, "Suzuko" yodeled:

Kreisleriana wrote:
Why would Christina want to
profit by something so disgusting? I don't think that's any more
morally defensible than putting the spurs on the critters oneself, and
I don't think suggesting she should or would do such a thing is any
less ugly.

I never said or suggested this. Those ideas were added by other people,
including you.

There is nothing false in what I wrote. With such a comprehensive
knowledge of the care of baby chicks, she could consult for the
cockfighting "industry".

Now, if I had written something to the effect of "Hey, Christina, I bet
you'd love to help out the cockfighting industry with your knowledge of
bird care" I'd be stupid not to expect being attacked left and right.

Perhaps you didn't suggest she would "love" to do that. But you
said:
Tweed I think you missed your calling, you ought to be a
consultant for
the
cockfighting industry!

To me, this is so close, as to be almost indistinguishable. Maybe you
can explain the very subtle difference to me.

[...]

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old August 7th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Suzuko wrote:
Kreisleriana wrote:
[...]

But, to simplify, the truth is, when friends say something that
unintentionally offends the other, you usually apologize. It's not
admitting that you intended to offend. Christina has always supported
you, as far as I can remember. I don't understand why you wouldn't be
sorry for hurting her feelings. It's really hard to convey the emotion
behind the printed word. I think that's the crux of many a
misunderstanding on newsgroup postings.

Sherry

Old August 7th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Suzuko" wrote in message
ups.com...

Kreisleriana wrote:
Why would Christina want to
profit by something so disgusting? I don't think that's any more
morally defensible than putting the spurs on the critters oneself, and
I don't think suggesting she should or would do such a thing is any
less ugly.

I never said or suggested this. Those ideas were added by other people,
including you.

There is nothing false in what I wrote. With such a comprehensive
knowledge of the care of baby chicks, she could consult for the
cockfighting "industry".

If you are so determined to split hairs, you did not say she could. That
would have been enough of an insult.

You said she ought to.

Definition:

1 used to indicate duty or correctness. 2 used to indicate something that is
probable. 3 used to indicate a desirable or expected state.

In my limited experience of language usage, it is still an insult to suggest
that someone should do something disgusting.

Jo

Old August 8th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Marina" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
One of the worst is my Large Speckled Sussex I call Attila. He was
absolutely fine until he was around 9-10 months old when full
testosterone kicked in. He has hated me with venom since then. He will
headbutt the weldmesh on his run if I go past! Servicing his food and
water every day needs a metal shield in front of me to fend him off. He
weighs 12lbs.
I have a couple of others, different breeds of a similar temperament.
One I can manage by fending him off with a broom and the other is
fortunately in a hut shut up overnight so the food and water can be put
safely in the run before I open the pophole from outside in the morning.
I have other cockerels who are gentlemen.
Chicken keeping can be exciting and dangerous! grin

LOL! Now I'm imagining you in full harness, shield and broom, fighting off
vicious cockerels. Be careful, Tweed!

Oh, I'm used to it, I've been doing it for years, although this is probably
another reason why Boyfriend doesn't trust me down the garden on my own;-)
Nüle came several times from Germany to look after me and chickens after
various operations. All very ideal as not only is she a doctor but an
experienced chicken and cat keeper!
She used to make me laugh as she thought it would be nice to address each of
chicken breeds in their own language of origin when she fed them.

So to the Barnevelders she would say a few words in Dutch, to the Sicilian
Buttercups a cheery greeting in Italian, to the Appenzellers a bit of Swiss
German and to the Lakenfelders a running commentary in German.
When she backed out of Attila's pen with the shield she would lock the door,
bend down towards him as he hit the wire and whisper "casserole.."

He hated her so the feeling became mutual. I tried to point out that he
hates everyone. "I think you should kill him, he is too aggressive - what
if you fell in the run, hit your head and became unconscious?"
So I said "If I did fall, what do you think he would do, peck me to death?"

He wouldn't. I would be no threat at all if I just lay there and he would
just walk away from me. He doesn't like me going into his run where his
house is because it is *his place* and he is very territorial.
I've never bred from him although he had some lovely hens because I didn't
want to carry on that bad temperament. Collecting the eggs was a very
interesting experience, as at the time he had a brother, Attila II who was
only marginally better in the temper department. They used to gang up on
me. A1 would attack me from the front where I had my shield in operation
and at the same time A2 would nip round the back of me and slash the soft
parts behind my knees with his spurs. I got a lot of dancing exercise like
that!
I was brought up as a country girl and vicious cockerels don't make me
afraid. I've have handled a stallion, and had some dealings with bulls.
What I am a bit scared of is a very large boar pig. You wouldn't get me
anywhere near one unless it was behind a barrier. I don't understand their
body language like I do the others I've mentioned.
I can tell if stallions are annoyed and bulls make it pretty clear usually
too so then I know to take care. Pigs could play poker.

Tweed

Old August 8th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Suzuko" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

But, to simplify, the truth is, when friends say something that
unintentionally offends the other, you usually apologize. It's not
admitting that you intended to offend. Christina has always supported
you, as far as I can remember. I don't understand why you wouldn't be
sorry for hurting her feelings. It's really hard to convey the emotion
behind the printed word. I think that's the crux of many a
misunderstanding on newsgroup postings.

Sherry, you're so close to getting it right! What you miss is that she
is *choosing* to feel hurt in spite of hearing from me not once but
numerous times that it was not my intention to be hurtful. So the only
option left to me, it seems, is to kiss her royal derriere!?

WHAT??
I did not "choose" to be offended. Your first post suggesting me being a
consultant for the cockfighting industry did this instantly. I did not
respond at first. Others did, because they saw it exactly the same way.
Then you said "She seems to know all there is about baby chicks so.."

This is not the same as saying "she is experienced." It sounds like you
are sneering and think I am showing off.
I am not showing off at all. I have a lot of experience with chicks and the
chicks you posted about are not dying from lack of food or water or a
temperature up to 104F, they are dying because they are too crowded and have
not been cared for properly in transit. Which is something that needs to be
raised with the shippers and not a reason to ban the transit of day old
chicks.
As for the last post that suggests you must kiss my royal derriere, that has
compounded the insult. That is extreme rudeness.
You were out of order in the first place whether you meant it or not. No
wriggling around with the meaning of English will make it any different and
you have made it worse.
"Sorry seems to be the hardest word.." song

Tweed

Old August 9th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 21:03:57 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

snip
Chicken keeping can be exciting and dangerous! grin

I once delivered to a house where there was a "beware of Dog" sign on
the gate, but "dog" had been crossed out and "cock" subsituted. I
thought it might be an off-color joke, but when the woman waiting on
the porch came to the gate with a piece of plywood - a "BIG" rooster
game running over trying to peck her legs.
--
Steve Touchstone,
faithful servant of Sammy, Little Bit and Spot

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page: