Ok, David Cassidy has a lot to answer for: Mostly OT hopefully BW

Old August 9th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Ok, David Cassidy has a lot to answer for: Mostly OT hopefully BW

"jmcquown" wrote:

Hip huggers and tie-dye (we made our own, we didn't buy it!) and lava
lamps... tube tops and and all that stuff is back in style?

Absolutely!! Hip huggers with those chain belts. Tie dye has been back
"in" for years now. And lava lamps are tres chic these days. (I don't
have one myself, as I've never quite understood what was so great about
them.) Not sure about tube tops, though.

Next thing up: disco balls, glitter and good lord, are we gonna
do the bump and the hustle? Saturday Night Fever. Oh and spare me
the guy wearing white pants and a white vest with a black shirt!

I haven't seen much of this, except when someone decides to have a "70s
party".

But I think of the disco culture as something quite separate from the
hippie thing. Maybe if you didn't live through that time, it all tends
to mush together, but I was at a critical stage of my life where I was
nearing adulthood, and then reaching adulthood and starting life out
on my own, throughout the decade. I turned 16 in 1970, and 25 in 1979.
Those are years with a lot of changes! So the hippie era of the early
70s (tie dye, painted buses, hip huggers) seems like a whole separate
universe from the disco era (glitter balls, Saturday Night Fever, men in
white leisure suits, etc).

(Speaking of men in leisure suits, whenever I think of this, I think of
a scene in the movie The Wedding Singer, which mostly satirized the
80s. But in this scene, the protagonists are auditioning wedding bands,
and there's one that has a 70s nostalgia act, singing stuff like "Oh,
yes it's ladies' night, and the feelin's right, oh yes it's ladies'
night, oh what a night", with Jon Lovitz playing the lead singer, a
sleazebag in an open-collar shirt and jacket. He was so utterly GROSS.)

Joyce
Old August 9th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

wrote:

But I think of the disco culture as something quite separate from the
hippie thing. Maybe if you didn't live through that time, it all tends
to mush together, but I was at a critical stage of my life where I was
nearing adulthood, and then reaching adulthood and starting life out
on my own, throughout the decade. I turned 16 in 1970, and 25 in 1979.

Oh yes I remember 1970, the VietNam war and all the student protests.
It was a turbulent time.
Also 1979, that was the year when I was first layoff and went back to
school for the second
time.
As the song lyrics: "Those were the days my friend, I thought they
never end, ......"

Winnie

Old August 9th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote:

[...]

We must be about the same age. To me, the disco culture *was* a
separate universe. By 1975 I was a music orphan and didn't like much of
anything in top 40 until the 80's. 70's fashion was rather disgusting
though. I should scan a pic of DH & me in his brown leisure suit and I
in my boho-mutton-sleeved juliet dress that honest to God I don't know
what kept my whole butt from showing when I bent over. It probably did.
I still have one artifact from the 70's in the back closet that I
cannot part with. It is a leather jacket with 2 rows of fringe that
hang down at least 18". That jacket has been borrowed so many times
over the years. It has won 1st place in the 89-ers Land Run
re-enactment at grade school; it was donned by Buffalo Bill in a high
school play; and it has been to numerous 70's parties most recently
worn by a nurse going as Janis Joplin.
I just can't bear to throw it away. I loved that jacket.

Sherry

Old August 9th 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

wrote:

But I think of the disco culture as something quite separate from the
hippie thing.

We must be about the same age.

Born in 1954...

To me, the disco culture *was* a
separate universe. By 1975 I was a music orphan and didn't like much of
anything in top 40 until the 80's.

I can't argue with that. I listened to folk stations during the 70s.
I lived in Boston, which had a thriving folk/acoustic music scene. So
I missed a lot of what was on commercial radio during that time.

I agree that 80s pop was great, though. I bought my first car in 1982
and started listening to the radio as I commuted to work. I got totally
into it. So now, when I'm up really late at night and watching one of
those "Three Hundred of Your Favorite 80s Pop Hits in One Fabulous
Collection!!" infomercials, I know all the songs. (Yes, I do watch
those - I love hearing the songs.)

70's fashion was rather disgusting though.

Some of it was horrendous, I agree. "Hot pants", platforms, glitter
socks, wide lapels, even wider ties, ewwww.

But I was partial to the Annie Hall look, which I still like (though
no longer wear). Also I liked mid-calf denim skirts with a leotard and
vest up top, and knee-high leather boots. Those styles might be dated
now, but they're not hideous, at least.

I should scan a pic of DH & me in his brown leisure suit and I
in my boho-mutton-sleeved juliet dress that honest to God I don't know
what kept my whole butt from showing when I bent over.

Yes! Jpegs, jpegs!!

I still have one artifact from the 70's in the back closet that I
cannot part with. It is a leather jacket with 2 rows of fringe that
hang down at least 18". That jacket has been borrowed so many times
over the years. It has won 1st place in the 89-ers Land Run
re-enactment at grade school; it was donned by Buffalo Bill in a high
school play; and it has been to numerous 70's parties most recently
worn by a nurse going as Janis Joplin.
I just can't bear to throw it away. I loved that jacket.

Of course you can't throw that away. It's not just a jacket, it's a piece
of history. I have a few items of clothing like that. They're size 10 or
12, which I'm quite certain I will never wear again (at least I hope not,
as that would indicate a wasting disease), but I have a strong sentimental
attachment to them, so they're still in my closet.

Joyce
Old August 9th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 00:27:17 GMT, "tanada"
wrote:

My nearest and dearest all acknowledge that I have an over active
imagination and warped mind. This is still not an excuse for the damage to
my keyboard.

I was playing Bejeweled 2 with my computer playing random music. Now, I
cheerfully admit that I have an eclectic selection in music at best, and a
disgusting one at worse. I also have an eclectic selection of reading
material. I like to read anthologies as I get a varied selection of writing
styles and viewpoints. Right now I'm reading a series of stories about
alternate outcomes in moon exploration, called "Moon Shots." Some of the
stories are really strange and some are out and out scary.

So I'm thinking about societal possibilities, playing Bejeweled 2, and
getting into "the zone." You who play games know "the zone." It is that
place where you are playing automatically without thinking about your next
move and everything seems to be going smoothly. When one is playing the
speed version of Bejeweled 2, one needs to be in "the zone." Mind you, I
was really getting into "the zone" to the point where I am not thinking
about the game at all.

Ok, I'm a product of the late 60s and early 70s. My computer has music from
The Bee Gees, Blood Sweat & Tears, The Doobie Brothers, the Monkees, and The
Partridge Family on it. Ok, I was into what I could listen to of bubble gum
rock. I wasn't allowed to listen to anything other than country music at
home and this is the stuff the school bus driver played on her radio. I
also listen to The Carpenters, so ok, sue me.

I'm thinking about alternate societies, and the old Star Trek episode where
this sociologist institutes Nazism into a society in order to bring some
order to it's workings pops into my head. I find myself thinking what would
be the most harmless thing a society could be based on. Yup, right then
David Cassidy pops up singing "I Think I Love You." Sweet saccharine,
totally harmless, right? I had an instant vision of people running around
wearing puka shell necklaces, all the females with either really long center
parted hair or a short feathered shag hairstyle. The males were wearing
shoulder length hair with shirts open to the waist and any chest hair shaved
off. People were driving buses painted in wild and strange patterns.
Everyone was living in California Tract houses. They all carried Partridge
Family lunch boxes, and had garage bands.

It was at this point, while I was frozen in shock, that my speed game timed
out and I heard a loud MEOW beside me. I jumped and looked over at Sonya,
who knocked a can of Diet Coke over, then placed a paw on my shoulder and
dug her claws in. I decided that it was time to take a break and find
something else to do, like clean the diet soda out of my key board. I am
still reeling in shock, but comfort myself by thinking at least I wasn't
imagining a society based on The Monkees.

Thank heavens!!!

Thank Bast that I keep a spare
keyboard for these occasions.

Pam S. still shuddering.

Ginger-lyn
who admits to being a big Monkees fan back in the day . . .

Home Pages:
http://www.moonsummer.com
Animals in Movies Website)