OT - Opera

Old August 25th 11, 11:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

Default OT - Opera

On Aug 24, 12:37*am, "Yowie"
wrote:

The best funeral I ever attended was that of a hard-living, hard loving,
rock'n'roll sorta guy who loved to smoke (tobacco and other herbs), drink,
loveand listen to music - AC/DC being the all time favourite - turned up
LOUD!!! *(he was also fiercely protective of those he considered 'his own' -
the funeral house couldn't fit everyone in!).

A friend of mine lost a very close friend last year who insisted on
being cremated with his i-pod wearing his "Genesis" t-shirt but also
specified that he had a "Highway to Hell" t-shirt in there on the
grounds "St Peter might not want me".....

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs.

Old August 25th 11, 11:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

Default OT - Opera - OOPS Please read before you read the thread!???

On 2011-08-25 8:06 AM, Yowie wrote:

snip story

Which is not to say I don't love listening to music - I love it and find
it food for the soul. I also get great pleasure out of singing, but
wouldn't dare inflict my voice on anyone else. My favourite way of
singing is in the car, alone, with the music *way* up, so loud I can't
hear my own voice at all. I sing loudly and to my heart's content. And
the only person I am likely to offend by doing so is my audiologist :-)

I've always loved music and been very shy about singing in front of
anyone. I could sometimes tell when I was singing something wrong, but I
didn't know what it was or how to fix it. And I still can't harmonize
with someone else on the fly, although I can learn a simple harmony and
sing it with others, especially if there are more and better altos
singing around me. It's much easier for me to blend in with someone who
knows what she's doing than to be sure I'm singing the right thing by
myself. I think I've improved with practice, but I'm still by no means a
musician, although I have a lot of fun with my singing.

When I was a child, in spite of being sent to piano lessons for a few
years and avidly listening to the radio and some records at home, my
major musical exposure was in church. We sang all the old-fashioned
hymns to loud organ music (in fact, my mother was the organist and
rather disappointed at my failure with the piano). I fondly believed
that no one could hear me sing over the organ music, and belted out
these hymns at the top of my lungs. I became a bit more circumspect when
a visiting aunt who had been standing next to me commented on how loudly
I sang!

I still think a nice loud organ accompaniment covers up a lot of musica
sins, though!

--
Cheryl
Old August 25th 11, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"CatNipped" wrote in message
I know I'm a no-class hick for believing so, but opera, to me, sounds like
so much shrieking. I agree with dogs who howl when they are subjected to
such ear-splitting agony. OK, flame retardant suit donned and ready for
the opera fans. ; Really , I'm not that interested pro or con re opera,
I just heard an opera singer on "America's Got Talent" and I have no idea
whether opera singers are talented or not. I'm sure it's just my untrained
ear, but opera has always sounded like just screaming to me. To my ear I
can easily imitate what I've heard and that's a sure sign it doesn't take
talent ducking and running!

I just saw this. You do realise that Evelyn is now going to kill you, don't
you?

Tweed

Old August 25th 11, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

wrote in message
I know I'm a no-class hick for believing so, but opera, to me, sounds like
so much shrieking. I agree with dogs who howl when they are subjected to
such ear-splitting agony. OK, flame retardant suit donned and ready for
the opera fans. ; Really , I'm not that interested pro or con re opera,
I just heard an opera singer on "America's Got Talent" and I have no idea
whether opera singers are talented or not. I'm sure it's just my untrained
ear, but opera has always sounded like just screaming to me. To my ear I
can easily imitate what I've heard and that's a sure sign it doesn't take
talentducking and running!

I just saw this. You do realise that Evelyn is now going to kill you, don't
you?

Tweed

Yeah, and I would thoroughly deserve it too. I really didn't mean to
post this, it was "saved" in my pending folder, and my internet
connection "burped" so didn't send a number of posts. I went into my
pending folder and just sent all, not remembering that this one was in
there.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old August 26th 11, 01:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

In ,
CatNipped typed:
wrote in message
[...]

Uninentional or not, its made a lovely - if offtopic - thread, with no
flames at all.

Now, to make it *on* topic - how do your kitties react when you sing?

Suki doens't care one whit - since she's deaf.

Pickle just gives me 'the look'. He may or may not leave the room, depending
on how comfortable he is, but he makes it *abundantly clear* he's Doesn't
Approve.

Pepper takes it as an excuse to 'sing' along with me - I've never met a more
vocal goggy. Not just barks, but a whole range of sounds. She's very
expressive.

Yowie

Old August 26th 11, 01:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 8/25/2011 7:29 PM, Yowie wrote:
In ,
typed:
wrote in message
[...]

Sammy(RB) used to run up to me and bite me - she wouldn't bite hard
enough to break the skin, but it wasn't a gentle nip either, it was a
clear command to "shut up and stop hurting my ears". My other four just
look at me to make sure nothing is killing me and then leave the room.
But, as I said, I have perfect pitch ears and can't carry a tune in a
bucket, so I don't sing to myself much, it hurts *my* ears. ;

Old August 26th 11, 03:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Wayne Mitchell

"Yowie" wrote:

how do your kitties react when you sing?

If I pick up my guitar, Heidi stomps out of the room, while Will comes
running and jumps up on the nearest piece of furniture (which often
results in some unintended damping).
--

Wayne M.
Old August 26th 11, 05:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Wayne Mitchell

hopitus wrote:

On Aug 25, 8:35*pm, Wayne Mitchell wrote:
*"Yowie" wrote:
how do your kitties react when you sing?

If I pick up my guitar, Heidi stomps out of the room, while Will comes
running and jumps up on the nearest piece of furniture (which often
results in some unintended damping).
Wayne M.

Do you sing when you play it?

If there's no one there big enough to stop me.
--

Wayne M.
Old August 26th 11, 02:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane

***

Yes, that's another type of sensitivity. I am very definitely sensitive to
loud noises. I can enjoy most kinds of music if it is played at a
resaonable volume, but I'd feel the same about my favorite music as I do
about any other kind. When it's too loud, it is no longer music - it is
noise. Painful, annoying noise.

Joy

I'm with you there, Joy. I don't even like Mozart when it's too loud.

As for the singing.....*sigh* Well, I love to sing. Always have. I was in varous choirs and choruses for most of my life, starting at age 8. I've sung in several languages and even studied opera for a time with a lovely voice teacher. I'm used to going into a church and immediately being drafted for the choir. I had a 2 and a half octave range and could sing from tenor to soprano.
HAD.

And now....it's gone. All gone. My musical life is empty and depressing. I developed asthma later in life, in my 30s, and the medication that keeps me breathing manages to make my throat hurt when I sing. Once in a great while, if the stars are in the right configuration, it comes back for a brief time, but then I walk past someone who is wearing the wrong perfume and just like that, it's gone again. I've been to doctor after doctor, and unless I want to give up the medication that keeps me breathing, I have to give up the voice. That's my choice: Have a hard time breathing or have a hard time singing.

I still lisen to music once in awhile, but I'm still in the sucks to be me' stage, so it's just depressing to me.

Jane
Old August 26th 11, 05:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 8/26/2011 8:22 AM, Jane wrote:
***

[...]

{{{{{{{{{{Jane}}}}}}}}}}

Oh sweetie, I'm so, so sorry. I know what it's like to have to give up
something that is almost as necessary to you as breathing. That so
sucks - I wish there were some advice I could offer that would help, but
I'm not even going to try, I *know* you've explored every possibility.
Again, I'm so sorry.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

OT - Do you like Phantom of the Opera? Mischief[_2_] Cat anecdotes 2 April 29th 10 07:24 AM
opera W. Leong Cat community 95 April 11th 06 03:43 PM
Am I living in a Soap Opera? Ted Davis Cat anecdotes 15 March 28th 04 08:50 PM
Cat-Boy and the Opera MacCandace Cat health & behaviour 2 February 8th 04 10:30 PM
"Emergency" purrs for an opera lover? EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) Cat anecdotes 15 November 11th 03 02:11 AM