Typical Archer

Old December 9th 11, 02:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Typical Archer

Wayne Mitchell wrote:

CatNipped wrote:

gotta love somebody that trained and practiced in his art!

Speaking of "art": There is a term of art in the legal field,
"attractive nuisance". In that context the phrase doesn't actually mean
quite what we see in this picture -- but I can't imagine a better
caption, can you? Perhaps that would make it a "term of Archer."

Well, now I'm curious, what does it mean in the legal context?

(Yes, it's the perfect caption for that picture of Archer. And I think
I'm going to start calling Roxy by that name.)

--
Joyce

A conservative is one who admires radicals centuries after they're dead.
-- Leo Rosten
Old December 9th 11, 11:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane

An attractive nuisance is exactly what I saw a couple of months ago.

Someone had fastened a HUGE stuffed gorilla to the top of their SUV, so it was sitting up and watching the road as they sped down the highway. It was hard to *not* look at it and pay attention to the road.

That's an attractive nuisance.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita

OK, yeah, that makes sense. Although I might call that more like an
attractive danger. Drowning's a little more serious than a nuisance.

Old December 9th 11, 07:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Wayne Mitchell wrote:

wrote:

Although I might call that more like an attractive danger.

That's why it's considered a term of art -- because it's meaning is
different from common usage. "Nuisance" once had a stronger meaning,
which included injury or harm. The legal phrase is frozen in that
earlier meaning.

I came across something like that a few years ago. My employer sells
ultrasound equipment in Japan (where it is made), and they had decided
to market it in the US. Someone in the Tokyo office translated the user
manual from Japanese to English, and the translated manual was given to me
for editing. I discovered that much of the phrasing, although technically
correct, didn't sound remotely like anything a native English speaker would
say - sometimes hilariously so.

So when I kept coming across the phrase "Estimated Date of Confinement",
I could only assume that it was a mistranslation. At first I wasn't sure
exactly what it meant, although I gathered from context that it had
something to do with the final weeks or days of pregnancy. Confinement?
It sounded so Victorian. Anyway, I looked it up on the web, and sure
enough, this is a medical term that is still in use as a "term of art".
It means the estimated delivery date.

--
Joyce

Loneliness is comforted by the closeness and touch of fur to fur,
skin to skin, or -- skin to fur. -- Paul Gallico
Old December 9th 11, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

[terms of art]
So when I kept coming across the phrase "Estimated Date of Confinement",
I could only assume that it was a mistranslation. At first I wasn't sure
exactly what it meant, although I gathered from context that it had
something to do with the final weeks or days of pregnancy. Confinement?
It sounded so Victorian. Anyway, I looked it up on the web, and sure
enough, this is a medical term that is still in use as a "term of art".
It means the estimated delivery date.

My rather was an architect for the New Zealand Ministry of Works.
He was once sent a spec for a "natatorium". On a first look, it
seemed to devote a heck of a lot of space to acoustics. Why should
that matter for a maternity unit, did they want a good echo for the
screams? He finally worked out that it was a swimming pool.

Law is always good for these. A "bottomry bond" is not something
that happens in the basement of an S&M bar.

A typical day Lesley via CatKB.com Cat anecdotes 1 May 31st 07 03:57 PM
Typical, just typical Mischief Cat anecdotes 1 October 1st 06 02:15 AM
Typical! Murphy strikes again. Marina Cat anecdotes 3 August 10th 05 07:21 PM
Typical Evening Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 1 January 11th 05 01:48 PM
not your typical urban sight Brenda Cat anecdotes 8 October 25th 03 07:53 PM