Virginia quake?

Old August 23rd 11, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

Default Virginia quake?

Does anyone have firs thand news about the Virginia earthquake? 5.9 is
a [pretty good shake. That is where My eldest grandson and his family
live. I have tried to phone and e-mail with no luck so far. MLB
Old August 23rd 11, 10:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 8/23/2011 4:36 PM, MLB wrote:
Does anyone have firs thand news about the Virginia earthquake? 5.9 is a
[pretty good shake. That is where My eldest grandson and his family
live. I have tried to phone and e-mail with no luck so far. MLB

My sister-in-law lives in New Jersey and said that she could feel the
shock all the way there. It was mild, nothing fell off the walls or
broke, but that's pretty far away from the epicenter. She said the news
there said it was felt so widely because it was a "shallow" quake, does
anyone know what that means?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old August 23rd 11, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dberrycat

On Aug 23, 5:36*pm, MLB wrote:
Does anyone have firs thand news about the Virginia earthquake? *5.9 is
a [pretty good shake. *That is where My eldest grandson and his family
live. *I have tried to phone and e-mail with no luck so far. * MLB

I'm in McLean VA (at work). It was pretty shaky, but I have been in 2
in CA and
they were a lot worse. I'm on the 3rd flood and we could see the
street
lights in the parking lot swinging back and forth. Things fell off
the
shelves and a few people lost things hanging on the walls. There is a
lot
of work going on here with the 495 beltway and the Metro
construction. At
first we thought they were blasting something....but we didn't hear
much
noise.

USGS says the epicenter was in Mineral/Louisa VA. That is near
Lake Anna and 1 or 2 nuclear reactors there. I hear they took
them off line.

I haven't been home yet. I have quite a bit of glass so I'm hoping
it is still in the correct pieces. I'm sure the kitties were afraid.
They don't seem to be afraid of thunder, probably because they
see that I'm not, but they haven't experienced that shaking. I'm
leaving
in a minute to check on them and the house.

Debbie
Old August 23rd 11, 10:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dberrycat

On Aug 23, 5:36*pm, MLB wrote:
Does anyone have firs thand news about the Virginia earthquake? *5.9 is
a [pretty good shake. *That is where My eldest grandson and his family
live. *I have tried to phone and e-mail with no luck so far. * MLB

Here is info on the recent quakes at
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...quakes_all.php

It says we had an aftershock of 2.8 after, but I didn't feel that.

Debbie
Old August 23rd 11, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 08/23/2011 03:50 PM, dberrycat wrote:
On Aug 23, 5:36 pm, wrote:
[...]

Sending best purrs that your glass is intact. 5.9 is a pretty scary
shake. Thanks for the info. MLB
Old August 24th 11, 01:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"CatNipped" wrote in message
On 8/23/2011 4:36 PM, MLB wrote:
Does anyone have firs thand news about the Virginia earthquake? 5.9 is a
[pretty good shake. That is where My eldest grandson and his family
live. I have tried to phone and e-mail with no luck so far. MLB

My sister-in-law lives in New Jersey and said that she could feel the
shock all the way there. It was mild, nothing fell off the walls or
broke, but that's pretty far away from the epicenter. She said the news
there said it was felt so widely because it was a "shallow" quake, does
anyone know what that means?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

Earthquakes originate somewhere underground (or under water). The closer to
the surface the origin is, the shallower it is. The shallower quakes are
felt more, but it also makes a difference how close you are to the
epicenter, and whether you're on or near the fault line. A quake may be
felt a hundred miles from the point of origin, but there will be a lot of
places in between where it isn't felt.

There is also a wide difference in sensitivity to quakes. I've lived in
California all my life. I had reached a point where I never felt anything
under a 5.0. Then we had the Northridge quake (and a lot of aftershocks) in
1994, and for some time I was much more sensitive to them. I've gotten to
the point where I almost never feel anything under about a 4.5 unless the
epicenter is very close to where I am.

Incidentally, the numbers rating quakes can be confusing. A 4.1 is ten
times as hard as a 4.0. A 5.0 is 100 times as hard as a 4.0. That means
that what may seem like a small difference isn't.

Joy

Old August 24th 11, 09:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message
"CatNipped" wrote in message
On 8/23/2011 4:36 PM, MLB wrote:
Does anyone have firs thand news about the Virginia
earthquake? 5.9 is a
[pretty good shake. ...

Incidentally, the numbers rating quakes can be confusing. A
4.1 is ten times as hard as a 4.0. A 5.0 is 100 times as hard
as a 4.0. That means that what may seem like a small
difference isn't.

*Almost* right, Joy. Measurement scales for the intensity of
earthquakes are indeed an exponential (logarithmic) series, but
not ten times for every tenth of a point. It's ten times for
every point - that is, 5.0 is ten times 'harder' than 4.0.

Wikipedia seems to confirm (and update) what I remember from my
Geophysics studies at university 30 years ago:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_magnitude_scale

--
MatSav

Old August 24th 11, 11:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane

On Tuesday, August 23, 2011 5:36:29 PM UTC-4, MLB wrote:
Does anyone have firs thand news about the Virginia earthquake? 5.9 is
a [pretty good shake. That is where My eldest grandson and his family
live. I have tried to phone and e-mail with no luck so far. MLB

The phones were messed up for a while after the quake. I'm fine. I was at work, but we all cleared out pretty fast.

Jane
- owned and operated by the apparently unruffled Princess Rita
Old August 24th 11, 01:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 15:36:29 -0600, MLB wrote:

Does anyone have firs thand news about the Virginia earthquake? 5.9 is
a [pretty good shake. That is where My eldest grandson and his family
live. I have tried to phone and e-mail with no luck so far. MLB

I took the day off and went to the US Open (tennis) qualifying round.
Good free tennis. We felt it in the bleachers. Everyone was looking
around going "what was that?" But since almost everyone had a
smartphone of some kind we knew almost instantly what had happened.

Play continued uninterrupted.

When I got home there was no comment from the cats.
Old August 24th 11, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 08/23/2011 03:36 PM, MLB wrote:
Does anyone have firs thand news about the Virginia earthquake? 5.9 is a
[pretty good shake. That is where My eldest grandson and his family
live. I have tried to phone and e-mail with no luck so far. MLB

My grandson was at work and his wife was on their top floor with the 3
kiddies: 5yrs, 2 1/2 and 3 weeks. The drapes were closed. She heard a
roar and felt shaking and thought the hurricane had struck. She grabbed
the baby and herded the older kids into the basement. She used her cell
phone to call her husband and he told her it was a quake. She said she
was scared and found out later the epicenter was 30 miles away. There
have been several aftershocks. Some neighbors had things fall over and
off the walls but so far she has not found anything out of place. MLB

Quake in GB Victor Martinez Cat anecdotes 10 March 2nd 08 10:25 PM
OT ~ Virginia Tech Cory Cat community 7 April 20th 07 08:05 AM
who did Virginia sow the farmer below the easy frame Sickly Adolescent Cat anecdotes 0 September 12th 05 10:31 AM
Central Calif Quake 6.0 Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 85 October 1st 04 04:32 AM
Thursday 4.5 Quake in NoCal Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 72 June 5th 04 12:46 AM