I'd like to join this group

Old November 22nd 03, 11:02 PM
Ed

Default I'd like to join this group

This is my first message. The first one I read was "Goodbye Dear Tigerness"
by Mark Edwards. This got me hooked. Mark writes beautifully. His message
was sad, but made me feel good at the same time.

I would like to begin with a question. I have a strictly house cat that
loves her daily ration of grass. She'll go to the door and eagerly watch
while I pull a couple of blades and bring them to the house. She is
particular though (go figure). She only wants wide blades--not narrow ones.

I am concerned about giving her parasites from outdoor grass. I've tried
growing grass in indoor pots, but the blades are always very fine--even when
tall. She's not interested. There must be something on the market that I
can grow indoors for this grass connoisseur. Some kind of grass "Chia pet",
perhaps. Any suggestions?

Old November 22nd 03, 11:18 PM
jmcquown

Ed wrote:
This is my first message. The first one I read was "Goodbye Dear
Tigerness" by Mark Edwards. This got me hooked. Mark writes
beautifully. His message was sad, but made me feel good at the same
time.

I would like to begin with a question. I have a strictly house cat
that loves her daily ration of grass. She'll go to the door and
eagerly watch while I pull a couple of blades and bring them to the
house. She is particular though (go figure). She only wants wide
blades--not narrow ones.

I am concerned about giving her parasites from outdoor grass. I've
tried growing grass in indoor pots, but the blades are always very
fine--even when tall. She's not interested. There must be something
on the market that I can grow indoors for this grass connoisseur.
Some kind of grass "Chia pet", perhaps. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the group. cats don't necessarily need grass. If you are
determined to give your cat greens, try rinsing off some celery leaves and
see if she likes those. Whatever you do, make sure the greens are fresh and
free of pesticides.

Jill

Old November 22nd 03, 11:37 PM
jen.d

Hi Ed!

Welcome to the group. Mark is a wonderful writer indeed (I teared up from
that message!)

Grass is wonderful for cats, because it is an excellent source of roughage
and cloryphyll - which are good for cats. It also helps with hairballs,
along with digestion. If your cat gets constipated, more grass helps with
that too. Grass from outside is generally ok, but typically not the best for
cats because the seeds are sometimes treated. Same with growing regular
grass indoors. Plus, as you mention, many cats enjoy thicker blades.

In many pet stores you can find "cat grass" either in seed form or small
pots. It can be grown all year round indoors. What they use is Wheat grass
or Oat grass for the seeds, which produce the thick blades you are looking
for - so if you can't find it at the pet store - you can sometimes find it
at the health food store (have to ask around - some don't have it). You can
probably also order cat, wheat or oat grass online as well. We grow giant
pots for the cats, and they all love it. We've tried organic sprouts, but
only one cat out of three went for that.

Best of luck with your search, and welcome to the group!

Jen, Muggles, Inky and Kid.

--
===============================
jen.dehaan = flash deseloper

Old November 23rd 03, 02:36 AM
Ted Davis

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 18:02:38 -0500, "Ed" wrote:

This is my first message. The first one I read was "Goodbye Dear Tigerness"
by Mark Edwards. This got me hooked. Mark writes beautifully. His message
was sad, but made me feel good at the same time.

I would like to begin with a question. I have a strictly house cat that
loves her daily ration of grass. She'll go to the door and eagerly watch
while I pull a couple of blades and bring them to the house. She is
particular though (go figure). She only wants wide blades--not narrow ones.

I am concerned about giving her parasites from outdoor grass. I've tried
growing grass in indoor pots, but the blades are always very fine--even when
tall. She's not interested. There must be something on the market that I
can grow indoors for this grass connoisseur. Some kind of grass "Chia pet",
perhaps. Any suggestions?

I've tried just about everything. I finally settled on moving to the
country and letting the cats make their own arrangements.

Cats love wheat and oats - these seed can be bought is safe feed form
- in large quantity - from feed stores, but a minimum order will last
a year or more, depending on how dry you can keep it (we're talking
about several pounds) and costs a tiny fraction of what it would cost
to buy a year's supply in small quantities from a pet store or
department.

But there is something easier to manage: pop corn sprouts - just wrap
popcorn in paper toweling and put it in a jar (fold the paper so that
the sprouts have a path to the outside). After less time than it
takes to grow wheat or oats in soil, the corn leaves will be about the
same size, and at that size, cats generally like them just as well -
they generally ignore full grown corn leaves. A row of jars on a
window sill, started a couple of days apart will give a continuous
supply.

T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D." or my .sig in the body)
Old November 23rd 03, 04:42 AM
Tanada

Ed wrote:

I would like to begin with a question. I have a strictly house cat that
loves her daily ration of grass. She'll go to the door and eagerly watch
while I pull a couple of blades and bring them to the house. She is
particular though (go figure). She only wants wide blades--not narrow ones.

Hi Ed. I can't give you any advice, but want to welcome you to the
group.

Pam S. owned by the NC nine
Old November 23rd 03, 05:15 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 18:02:38 -0500, "Ed" wrote:

This is my first message. The first one I read was "Goodbye Dear Tigerness"
by Mark Edwards. This got me hooked. Mark writes beautifully. His message
was sad, but made me feel good at the same time.

Welcome to the group. I'm Steve, and have three furry ones who keep me
in line. Rocky is an ex-feral who I formally adopted just this last
summer. Little Bit, a stray who decided this was a good place to have
her kittens. And Sammy, Little Bit's daughter. We all live in SW
Oklahoma, USA

I would like to begin with a question. I have a strictly house cat that
loves her daily ration of grass. She'll go to the door and eagerly watch
while I pull a couple of blades and bring them to the house. She is
particular though (go figure). She only wants wide blades--not narrow ones.

I am concerned about giving her parasites from outdoor grass. I've tried
growing grass in indoor pots, but the blades are always very fine--even when
tall. She's not interested. There must be something on the market that I
can grow indoors for this grass connoisseur. Some kind of grass "Chia pet",
perhaps. Any suggestions?

--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Old November 23rd 03, 05:40 AM
Marina

"Ed" wrote
This is my first message. The first one I read was "Goodbye Dear

Tigerness"
by Mark Edwards. This got me hooked. Mark writes beautifully. His

message
was sad, but made me feel good at the same time.

Mark is our cat-whisperer. His message about Presto had me in tears. Welcome
to the group, Ed. I live with two black-and-white moggies, Frank and Nikki,
in Helsinki, Finland. Pictures galore at
http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/frankiennikki. The newest ones are in the
folder called August-December 2003.

Jen gave some good advice on the grass, and I have nothing to add, except
that my cats tend to like thicker-bladed grass, as well. I grow wheat shoots
for them to chew on.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old November 23rd 03, 06:54 AM
Julie Cook

Ed wrote:

This is my first message. The first one I read was "Goodbye Dear Tigerness"
by Mark Edwards. This got me hooked. Mark writes beautifully. His message
was sad, but made me feel good at the same time.

I just wanted to welcome you to the group, Ed. I live in Georgia with my husband
and three cats. Mine all love grass as well and will eat it whenever they get a
chance. Recently I planted some herbs in an indoor planter and at least two of
the three have managed to eat all of my herbs. Maybe your little lady would
enjoy some type of herb that could be grown indoors.

Welcome and we look forward to more stories about you and your cat.

Julie, Hobbes, Selena and Lacey

Old November 23rd 03, 09:02 AM
LOL

"Ed" wrote in message ...
This is my first message. The first one I read was "Goodbye Dear Tigerness"
by Mark Edwards. This got me hooked. Mark writes beautifully. His message
was sad, but made me feel good at the same time.

I would like to begin with a question. I have a strictly house cat that
loves her daily ration of grass. She'll go to the door and eagerly watch
while I pull a couple of blades and bring them to the house. She is
particular though (go figure). She only wants wide blades--not narrow ones.

I am concerned about giving her parasites from outdoor grass. I've tried
growing grass in indoor pots, but the blades are always very fine--even when
tall. She's not interested. There must be something on the market that I
can grow indoors for this grass connoisseur. Some kind of grass "Chia pet",
perhaps. Any suggestions?

Welcome! I'm Krista, slave to Mike cat. Mike eats grass outside and
the grass that you can buy in the *way too expensive* little cat grass
kits, so I haven't looked for other sources and don't have anything in
the way of helpful information. I just wanted to say hello, and that
I am looking forward to hearing about your kitty.
------
Krista