Nanki-Poo's phobia

Old March 5th 05, 02:24 AM
Yoj

Default Nanki-Poo's phobia

I've come to the conclusion that Nanki-Poo has a phobia about men. It
really hurts my son, who loves animals, with cats at the top of his list.
Whenever a man comes into the house, Nanki disappears, and stays out of
sight for at least a couple of hours after the man leaves. He didn't come
out for about 3 hours after my son was here the other day. He didn't even
show up for the daily serving of wet food, and when he did come out, he
didn't clean the dishes as he usually does.

I wish I could figure out how to clear this. It's too bad he hides when a
client is here (I have a home-based word processing business), but it's more
serious when it comes to my son and the young man who feeds the cats when I
go away. I tried to introduce him to Robbie (my cat feeder), and he
freaked, jumped out of my arms, and went into hiding.

I'll be gone for almost all of next month, and there won't be anybody coming
here except Robbie, to feed them, and my son, to check once or twice. Nanki
is such a cuddle baby I feel terrible about leaving him, but I couldn't
change my plans now if I wanted to.

Normally my daughter might come over once or twice while I'm gone, but
she'll be in New Zealand when I'm in Australia.

Any suggestions?

Joy

Old March 5th 05, 02:34 AM
Dan M

Any suggestions?

Joy

This is a really way-out suggestions, but he might try these two things:

Give him a towel or something that Nanki sleeps on. Have your son rub it
all over himself (especially legs, arms, and hands) before he comes in
the house.

And maybe try spraying some Feliway on his pants.

Dan
Old March 5th 05, 02:52 AM
Yoj

"Dan M" wrote in message
Any suggestions?

Joy

This is a really way-out suggestions, but he might try these two things:

Give him a towel or something that Nanki sleeps on. Have your son rub it
all over himself (especially legs, arms, and hands) before he comes in
the house.

And maybe try spraying some Feliway on his pants.

Dan

Thanks, Dan. It's worth trying.

Joy

Old March 5th 05, 05:37 AM
Gabey8

How often can Robbie and/or your son visit between now and the time you
take your trip?

Maybe if Nanki-Poo sees one or both of them on a regular basis for a
while, he'll calm down around those specific men. Then, if either of them
has come over to take care of him in your absence, the cat will feel
calmer.

The other ideas that were suggested are good, too. And I have one more.
Not just that your son or Robbie could apply a towel with the cat's scent
to themselves, and Feliway too, prior to coming in.

Will they be able to provide a T-shirt or towel with THEIR scent on it, so
you can introduce the item(s) to Nanki-Poo?

I think every little bit will help.

Donna, Captain, and Stanley

Old March 5th 05, 06:15 AM
Yoj

"Gabey8" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
How often can Robbie and/or your son visit between now and the time you
take your trip?

Maybe if Nanki-Poo sees one or both of them on a regular basis for a
while, he'll calm down around those specific men. Then, if either of them
has come over to take care of him in your absence, the cat will feel
calmer.

The other ideas that were suggested are good, too. And I have one more.
Not just that your son or Robbie could apply a towel with the cat's scent
to themselves, and Feliway too, prior to coming in.

Will they be able to provide a T-shirt or towel with THEIR scent on it, so
you can introduce the item(s) to Nanki-Poo?

I think every little bit will help.

Donna, Captain, and Stanley

That's a thought. I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the suggestion.

Joy

Old March 5th 05, 06:15 AM
mlbriggs

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 02:24:11 +0000, Yoj wrote:

[...]

Maybe try "scent transfer" cat to hoomins. MLB

Old March 5th 05, 04:42 PM
Ted Davis

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 02:24:11 GMT, "Yoj"
wrote:

I've come to the conclusion that Nanki-Poo has a phobia about men.

Mickey seems to be that way about children. He's my nearest
neighbor's cat, and when the grandchildren are there, he's not. The
kids seem to have moved in last fall, and he moved in with me and my
eleven cats - he's been here all winter. I fixed him up with a padded
shelf in the mud room (I don't want him in the house proper) and he
spends most of his time there.

--
T.E.D. )