Ok, David Cassidy has a lot to answer for: Mostly OT hopefully BW

Old August 8th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tanada

Default Ok, David Cassidy has a lot to answer for: Mostly OT hopefully BW

My nearest and dearest all acknowledge that I have an over active
imagination and warped mind. This is still not an excuse for the damage to
my keyboard.

I was playing Bejeweled 2 with my computer playing random music. Now, I
cheerfully admit that I have an eclectic selection in music at best, and a
disgusting one at worse. I also have an eclectic selection of reading
material. I like to read anthologies as I get a varied selection of writing
styles and viewpoints. Right now I'm reading a series of stories about
alternate outcomes in moon exploration, called "Moon Shots." Some of the
stories are really strange and some are out and out scary.

So I'm thinking about societal possibilities, playing Bejeweled 2, and
getting into "the zone." You who play games know "the zone." It is that
place where you are playing automatically without thinking about your next
move and everything seems to be going smoothly. When one is playing the
speed version of Bejeweled 2, one needs to be in "the zone." Mind you, I
was really getting into "the zone" to the point where I am not thinking
about the game at all.

Ok, I'm a product of the late 60s and early 70s. My computer has music from
The Bee Gees, Blood Sweat & Tears, The Doobie Brothers, the Monkees, and The
Partridge Family on it. Ok, I was into what I could listen to of bubble gum
rock. I wasn't allowed to listen to anything other than country music at
home and this is the stuff the school bus driver played on her radio. I
also listen to The Carpenters, so ok, sue me.

I'm thinking about alternate societies, and the old Star Trek episode where
this sociologist institutes Nazism into a society in order to bring some
order to it's workings pops into my head. I find myself thinking what would
be the most harmless thing a society could be based on. Yup, right then
David Cassidy pops up singing "I Think I Love You." Sweet saccharine,
totally harmless, right? I had an instant vision of people running around
wearing puka shell necklaces, all the females with either really long center
parted hair or a short feathered shag hairstyle. The males were wearing
shoulder length hair with shirts open to the waist and any chest hair shaved
off. People were driving buses painted in wild and strange patterns.
Everyone was living in California Tract houses. They all carried Partridge
Family lunch boxes, and had garage bands.

It was at this point, while I was frozen in shock, that my speed game timed
out and I heard a loud MEOW beside me. I jumped and looked over at Sonya,
who knocked a can of Diet Coke over, then placed a paw on my shoulder and
dug her claws in. I decided that it was time to take a break and find
something else to do, like clean the diet soda out of my key board. I am
still reeling in shock, but comfort myself by thinking at least I wasn't
imagining a society based on The Monkees. Thank Bast that I keep a spare
keyboard for these occasions.

Pam S. still shuddering.

Old August 8th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

tanada wrote:

I find myself thinking what would
be the most harmless thing a society could be based on. Yup, right then
David Cassidy pops up singing "I Think I Love You." Sweet saccharine,
totally harmless, right? I had an instant vision of people running around
wearing puka shell necklaces, all the females with either really long center
parted hair or a short feathered shag hairstyle. The males were wearing
shoulder length hair with shirts open to the waist and any chest hair shaved
off. People were driving buses painted in wild and strange patterns.
Everyone was living in California Tract houses. They all carried Partridge
Family lunch boxes, and had garage bands.

Sorry to break it to you, Pam, but that wasn't a vision. You were looking
out the window! Didn't you know, all that stuff has come back in style?
Kids who never had to endure it the first time think it's "fun" and "retro".
YOU'LL NEVER GET AWAY FROM IT!!!! evil laugh

Joyce - still likes the wildly painted hippie buses
Old August 8th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

wrote in message
tanada wrote:

[...]

I'm still giggling over the shoes on the cover of this weeks Famous Footwear
flyer. Take 3/4 of an inch off the heels and every old lady I ever knew as
a child wore them. Now I'm no where near young enough to get away with
wearing them. Heck, my daughter isn't young enough. My grandson's girl
friends maybe.

Jo

Old August 8th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

On Mon 07 Aug 2006 08:27:17p, tanada wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
link.net):

[...]

I still love the Partridge Family. I had to watch the VH1 special
about the show. I also love The Monkeys. Have you ever heard any
of their songs remade into metal songs? My favorite musical period
is still the 80s, probably because I had so much fun in the 80s,
before responsibility really set in. Yes, I had responsibilies but
I was also still young. Subject for another time and place. Any
way, the Partridge Family was my first exposure to music. Them and
Donnie and Marie. LOL

--
Cheryl
Old August 8th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tanada

wrote in message

Sorry to break it to you, Pam, but that wasn't a vision. You were looking
out the window! Didn't you know, all that stuff has come back in style?
Kids who never had to endure it the first time think it's "fun" and
"retro".
YOU'LL NEVER GET AWAY FROM IT!!!! evil laugh

Joyce - still likes the wildly painted hippie buses

Oh the HORROR!!! 6 inch platform shoes, puka bead necklaces, love beads,
shirts opened down to the navel (ok, now that isn't so bad but...), VW
buses, love-ins, candy music, The Brady Bunch, AAAAACCCCCKKKK.

Ok, Joyce, I'm going to nightmares for a week knowing this.

Pam S. still shuddering

Old August 8th 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"tanada" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

eeep!

I am a child of the 80's. Still, a world as depicted in Duran Duran's _Rio_
wouldn't be all that bad. And I"m sure the male half of the species wouldn'
object to _Girls on Film_ world either.

LOL

Yowie

Old August 8th 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"tanada" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message

Sorry to break it to you, Pam, but that wasn't a vision. You were looking
out the window! Didn't you know, all that stuff has come back in style?
Kids who never had to endure it the first time think it's "fun" and
"retro".
YOU'LL NEVER GET AWAY FROM IT!!!! evil laugh

Joyce - still likes the wildly painted hippie buses

Oh the HORROR!!! 6 inch platform shoes, puka bead necklaces, love beads,
shirts opened down to the navel (ok, now that isn't so bad but...), VW
buses, love-ins, candy music, The Brady Bunch, AAAAACCCCCKKKK.

Ok, Joyce, I'm going to nightmares for a week knowing this.

Pam S. still shuddering

Still, I wouldn't complain *too* much if I could see David Cassidy (as he
was then) every day, even with the platform shoes, puka bead necklaces and
open necked shirts. *Especially* the opened neck shirts on a pair of nicely
formed pecs and a six-pack. Mmmmmm....

Yowie

Old August 8th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

wrote:
tanada wrote:

[...]

Hip huggers and tie-dye (we made our own, we didn't buy it!) and lava
lamps... tube tops and and all that stuff is back in style? It's too funny,
really. Next thing up: disco balls, glitter and good lord, are we gonna do
the bump and the hustle? Saturday Night Fever. Oh and spare me the guy
wearing white pants and a white vest with a black shirt! Ooooh Oooh Mr.
Kotter

Talked to Dad this morning. He still doesn't want me to come visit. But he
said he's still undergoing chemo. He'd told me he was done with the cancer
treatment but we got into an argument when I said I wanted to come visit and
he said no. Then he called me back and said he's still undergoing chemo and
going through a lot of stuff, which of course I had no idea about because he
didn't bother to tell me.

My folks are still enjoying watching the neighbors' two black cats that
wander around next door. And Dad always hated cats! The cats get along
with the white herons that wander around and they occasionally have a great
blue heron, which are much bigger than the cats. And the cats don't care,
they just look silly sitting next to the birds which are bigger than they
are. Oh, and they have saucer outside filled with water that the lizards
drink from.

Jill

Old August 8th 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Cheryl wrote:
[...]

It's Elvis Death Week in Memphis, TN... I live outside of Memphis. I
remember going to Whitehaven to get a gift for a friend. You really don't
want to go there. Trust me.

Jill