OT-Shooting

Old December 13th 04, 03:54 AM
Tanada

Stormin Mormon wrote:

A well regulated feline being necessary to the preservation of a free state,
the right to keep and bear claws shall not be infringed.

Works for me.

Pam S.

Old December 13th 04, 08:12 AM
Stormin Mormon

It's the nature of elected people to vote themselves more and more power.
we're seeing this now with the Patriot Act, and a few other legislation.
Wash. DC is getting a bit inbred, and a bit too powerful. I don't th ink any
nation is exempt from tyranny in gov't.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Cheryl Perkins" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
The real reason we own guns is to defend ourselves against government gone
bad.

And the government is you; it is created by you from your fellow-citizens;
it isn't some kind of alien entity. When you are talking about defending
yourself against 'government gone bad' it sounds to me like you are
arguing that 'government' and 'citizens' in your country are two entirely
different entities. Or possibly that you are planning for a civil war
(instead of voting them out) when you don't agree with what your fellow
citizens who happen to be making up the government at the time do.

--
Cheryl

Old December 13th 04, 09:01 AM

Stormin Mormon wrote:

The real reason we own guns is to defend ourselves against
government gone bad.

You must be very busy right now, then!

Joyce
Old December 13th 04, 09:02 AM

Stormin Mormon wrote:

A well regulated feline being necessary to the preservation of a
free state, the right to keep and bear claws shall not be infringed.

At last, we agree on something!!

Joyce
Old December 13th 04, 09:07 AM

Stormin Mormon wrote:

It's the nature of elected people to vote themselves more and more
power. we're seeing this now with the Patriot Act, and a few other
legislation. Wash. DC is getting a bit inbred, and a bit too powerful.
I don't th ink any nation is exempt from tyranny in gov't.

Yep, that's true. In theory, the government is us, and in theory, we
vote for them. But power can become a law unto itself, and right now,
there are a lot of people in the USA who don't believe our government
was even legally elected, much less representing the wishes of most of
the people.

Joyce
Old December 13th 04, 10:38 AM
Stormin Mormon

Never been bitten? I've heard enough cases of dogs going off on folks.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"CatNipped" wrote in message
A d*g can not go off accidentally and harm someone you love. The kids
can play safely with a d*g without killing a friend or sibling.

Old December 13th 04, 12:33 PM
ScratchMonkey

Cheryl Perkins wrote in
:

And the government is you; it is created by you from your
fellow-citizens; it isn't some kind of alien entity.

No government, not even a brutal dictatorship, can operate without the
consensus of the governed. Mob rule isn't necessarily sane rule.

The purpose of the US Bill of Rights was to heavily constrain the power of
mob rule, but it's all but dead due to activist courts. (Freedom of the
Press died last year with the Supreme Court upholding the McCain-Feingold
campaign finance "reform" law. The Patriot Acts are really just the final
shovels of dirt on the grave.)
Old December 13th 04, 02:10 PM
CatNipped

Stormin Mormon wrote:
It's the nature of elected people to vote themselves more and more power.
we're seeing this now with the Patriot Act, and a few other legislation.
Wash. DC is getting a bit inbred, and a bit too powerful. I don't th ink
any
nation is exempt from tyranny in gov't.

Nothing and no one is exempt from corruption. I am just pointing out that
those two ideals - that of a government for and by the people, and that of
a government that the people must be ready to tear down by lethal force
are inherently contradictory.

Of course, ideals, even those national myths a country is formed on, don't
have to be internally consistent. They aren't facts, after all. But they
are important and powerful ideas, and should be examined and understood. I
admit I don't understand the contradiction here. It's not as though the
American people don't have other mechanisms for reining in their
government should they want to. And although war is all too common, there
are plenty of countries which have changed their governments without
resorting to war at all, certainly without making the potential for
a violent revolution a centrepiece of their national identity.

But I'm getting way off topic here now, so I'll stop.

--
Cheryl

All right, in a vain attempt to end this discussion I'm going to bring up
Hitler (it's usenet law, the discussion is over, I lost!!) ; The first
thing Hitler did was to disarm the populace.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 13th 04, 02:11 PM
Stormin Mormon

And the people clamor "do something", and so the legislators pass more laws.
Each layer of laws, less freedom.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus