new kitten - 3 adults to meet

Old April 23rd 04, 04:55 AM
Sherry

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/repo...ly-neuter.html

see link for full article

The results of the comparisons of weight showed some differences
between the three groups. Males weighed consistently more than
females, but this was uniform in all groups. The studies of body
composition and body fat indicated that Group 1 (neutered at 7 weeks)
and Group 2 (neutered at 7 months) were identical and were generally
fatter than Group 3 (neutered at 12 months, after they were sexually
mature). Investigators point out that by 12 months, the male cats in
Group 3 were already exhibiting the normal adult male characteristics
of decreased weight and the development of jowls, which accounts for
some of the differences. It has also been noted that in the course of
follow-up, the differences between the weight in cats from Group 1 and
2 and Group 3 are becoming less apparent. All these cats have been
placed in selected and supervised pet homes and are more active than
they were in the University facilities. A three-year follow-up exam
was to be conducted in May of 1994.

Karryl

This doesn't say anything about head size--it only refers to the development of
jowls in the male--not the same thing. Which, BTW, is not a desirable trait in
a Maine Coon neuter by cat show judges. Reputable breeders will *require* their
kittens be altered by a certain age--usually 6 months, and I've never heard of
*later* than 8 months. Which indicates that most neuters whose owners are going
after their premiere have, in fact, been neutered prior to 8 months, and I
would guess the breed standards reflect that. MC's neutered at 6 months aren't
going to have a pin-head or anything. My GC has a lovely sized head, and he was
neutered before 6 months.
http://members.aol.com/jjrich0523/jamieorion.jpg
Sherry
Old April 23rd 04, 05:29 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Sherry at
itty wrote on 4/22/04 10:55 PM:

[...]

Now, Sherry, if Orion had horns growing out of his skull you'd consider him
lovely. He's your GRANDCAT for crying out loud

Karen

Old April 23rd 04, 05:46 AM
Sherry

Now, Sherry, if Orion had horns growing out of his skull you'd consider him
lovely. He's your GRANDCAT for crying out loud

Karen

Well, yes, but have I told you how *smart* he is?? :-)

Sherry

Old April 23rd 04, 08:24 PM
soft

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:21:04 -0500, Cheryl
wrote:

soft dumped this in
news
I am very sorry I posted to this group - you use to be understanding
and supportave - NOW YOUR JUST HORRIBLE PEOPLE WHO WANT TO
CONTROL EVERYONES DECISSIONS. YOUR RESPONSE TO ME WAS AS IF
I WERE GOING TO DECLAW HIM
idiots

I don't see where you got any nasty responses. What are you going on about?
My response was the only *possible* negative and I don't see where it was
all that negative as I was only questioning why put a cat through turmoil
for a head size? I really wanted to know? Chill. Geez.

I am waiting because the I was advised by both the breeder and the
vet.

If I do it now he will have a tiny Kitten head on a 22 lb body. The
vet did not feel it was important enough to do the surgery now - he
needs the male hormones for proper growth through out his body and his
head. They feel it is best to wait. That is why - Your response was
judgemental - you responded like I had no clue or did not check things
out. Yes it is a decission I made to wait for what I feel is the best
thing for the cat. You werent asked to agree - my first post did not
ask for anyones opinion. I just wanted a congradulations and an enjoy.
You may not think you were nasty, here again it is a matter of
opinion. I took your comments as rude.

But then again if you have every read my posts you would know I care
very deeply about my cats. I have asked for help here and I have
gotten great support and good advice. I recently was hit by a mac
truck and am having lots of spine injections and lots of pain meds. I
and lots of pain, I may be a bit sensitive and moody due to this, and
if so then I am sorry for biting your head off.

But I stand by my decission to wait and neuter this cat because I
honestly believe it will be better for him and I agreed with the
breeder this is what I would do. Like I said he is out of champions
and I don't want him to not look like the standards of the breed - he
is representative of the breederd line quality. Plus I can show a
neutered cat - but he must meet the standards of head and body as well
as color.

So again this is my choice and I am doing what I believe is right -
you don't have to agree - but this is my cat
Karryl

Old April 23rd 04, 08:27 PM
soft

On 23 Apr 2004 03:55:20 GMT, itty (Sherry ) wrote:

[...]

From the breeders in this area (I did check several) they all
recommend 8 months. I don't plan to wiat later than that. The vet and
the breeders told me about the head size - however that article is
very interresting.

When I neutered my cat5 his head stopped growing. So I know it matters
because I have seen it first hand. He doesn't have a male head - it
looks very kitten like.

Karryl

Old April 23rd 04, 08:29 PM
soft

[...]

Now that is at least something we can all agree on - we would love our
cats whatever they look like .....the darn things just warm the heart
Karryl