Cats and Milk

Old January 9th 07, 01:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Randy

Default Cats and Milk

"Yowie" wrote:
"Randy" wrote in message
news
John F. Eldredge wrote:
On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 14:20:41 -0800, Katrina wrote:

http://www.gnxp.com/MT2/archives/001681.html

According to the statistics, 86% of Northern Europeans are lactose
*tolerant*, but only 36% of Southern Europeans are. 98% of Southeast
Asians are intolerant (note that milk and milk products are not
generally part of Asian cooking), so only 2% of Southeast Asians can
tolerate milk... but that 2% could certainly enjoy a "nice, cold glass
of milk" even when 98% of their relatives can't. If you go on down the
list, you'll see that lactose tolerance is highest among Northern
Europeans. Unless you want to argue that the entire world is made up
of Northern Europeans, it's clear that most humans are lactose
intolerant.

I'm guessing that you and John are from Northern European background,
but even if not, all populations have some individuals who tolerate
milk. If you ARE of Northern European stock, you fall into one of the
populations which are more likely than not to be lactose tolerant. Most
Americans (and the dominant *American* culture) is founded in that
Northern European gene pool. This is also why the Dairy industry is so
strong here- it's part of the cultural baggage brought over by British,
Scandanavian and Germanic settlers. The problem is that giving milk as
part of a subsidized meal to inner city children (who are more likely
to NOT tolerate it because of differing genetic backgrounds) is
actually making those kids sick.

I suspect that the "Indians" referred to in the web site are American
Indians, rather than people from India, judging by the number of
Indian and Pakistani recipes that use dairy products. Many Hindus
don't eat any form of meat, but do eat dairy products, so it serves as
a useful protein source.

I have an African-American co-worker who gets a digestive upset even
from dairy products that have been cultured to break down the lactose.
The symptoms she has mentioned sound like they are from a reaction to
the remaining lactose, not an allergy to other components of the milk.
So, she sticks to soy-based milk substitutes.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

She may have an allergy to diary protein, as do I. I cannot drink milk at

all.

Randy

http://picasaweb.google.com/crmartin1

http://kittenwar.com/kittens/74045/

If you *wanted* to drink milk or eat other dairy products, you might find
that you are not allergic to the protiens in goat or sheep milk. I *love*
cheeses made from sheep's milk. Mmmmmmmm.

Yowie

Never tried goat or sheep milk, have never seen it around here. I have tried
soy milk and I can definately live with out that. I can use a little milk on my
cereal, just enough to moisten it, and eat cheese occassionly but I have to
take a decongestant after.

Old January 9th 07, 01:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Randy

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:
Randy wrote:

She may have an allergy to diary protein, as do I. I cannot drink milk at
all.

But unlike Pat, you don't seem to feel that, just because
you do not drink milk, no one else should, either!

Nope, I would love to have a glass of milk. I used to love it when I was a kid,
then developed the allery when I was in my late teens. I was always sick and
they could not figure out why until I went for allery tests.

Old January 9th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"Nan" wrote

If Jill and Evelyn are so mean to you, why don't you just kill file
both of them.

I only killfile spammers. The occasional opportunity to put forth a
different perspective on misinformation - like in this case, that dairy
products are actually good food for human beings - is valuable to me, even
if many choose to discount what I say simply because some think it is weird
or that I am weird for saying it, it's still a possibility to help someone,
somewhere along the line, to take a fresh look at an issue that is critical
to their well-being. I am alive today thanks to having information like this
given to me in the past. So I am always looking for ways to do the same for
others.

Old January 9th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default Cats and Milk (recipe time again?)

Pat wrote:

Where did I say you gave me your address?

You had been complaining about your high rent so I told you (this was like
two years later) that the house next door to me was for sale and what the
payments would be (less than half what you pay for rent). Trying to be
helpful. Well, I have learned my lesson, it won't happen again.

Judging by what you've shown of yourself in this thread, I
doubt whether ANYONE here would choose you for a next-door
neighbor - even for FREE rent! (P-L-O-N-K!) And now to the
recipes:

I had a Twelfth-Night dinner party last weekend, at which I
served the barley casserole for which I gave the recipe on
an earlier thread (pre-Christmas, I think). My main course
was a chicken recipe I prize both for its simplicity, and
for the fact that everyone I've served it to likes it. You
start with boneless chicken breasts, arranged side by side
in an oblong baking dish. Drop a hearty spoonful of salad
dressing on each. (The recipe calls for blue cheese
dressing, but any creamy dressing will do - I've used Ranch,
Caesar, Thousand Island - whatever strikes your fancy is
fine.) Sprinkle with grated parmesan or romano, bake for
half an hour at 400F (forty-five minutes at 350F) or until
brown on top and fully cooked. I served it with the barley
casserole and Trader Joe's "Brittany Blend" veggies - a
mixture of baby carrots, green and yellow beans. Dessert was
egg-nog with homemade brownies and gingerbread bars.
Old January 9th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote

Apparently Jill's reluctance to be confrontational does not apply to you?
Did you overlook the smiley, or are you so firmly seated on your
hobby-horse that you don't want to dismount from it?

Jill has been nothing but snide with me, tossing out ad hominem attacks,
outright lies, straw-man arguments and assorted b.s. in response to every
overture I've ever made in her direction. I'm finished trying to be her
friend, and that is HER LOSS. Now, get off my back, you self-righteous fool.

"HER LOSS"? I seriously doubt that - if you're as
disagreeable as you've been making yourself here, who on
earth would WANT to know you?
Old January 9th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Dewi wrote:

I think some cultures eat butter with a spoon, rather than spreading
etc. Although I don't think this is a common practice in Thailand. On
flights to (and from) India, I've often seen passengers scoop the
butter out of the little tub and eat it with a spoon. Took me by
surprise the first time I saw it. I'm sure it would be nice and creamy.

Don't the people of Mongolia drink their tea with butter in
it? (Probably yak butter.)
Old January 9th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

wrote:

That's weird, because I know I read somewhere that Asian ladies are in
the higher-risk category. I always figured it was because they are
small-framed and usually thin, and that's the textbook high-risk build.
Can't remember where I read that though, Dewi.
There's lots of factors though. General poor nutrition makes you a
higher-risk. The risk is much higher in post-menopausal ladies who
don't take hormone replacement. If you smoke, it goes up even more. Now
I hear some not-so-good things about Fosomax. You're damned if you do,
and damned if you don't sometimes. What really stinks is, with bone
loss you get shorter. I can't afford to get any shorter. :-)

It's not just bone loss, apparently. Some people have a
more compressible spine than others. My mom DID have
osteoporosis, and shrunk from her youthful adult height of
5'6 1/2" to less than 5' (when she died at 102). I,on the
other hand, with no apparent bone loss, have gone from 5'6
1/2" to 5'4"! Reaching the upper shelves in my kitchen
cupboards was seeming more and more difficult, so I asked my
doctor to measure me. (Two and a half inches can make a big
difference!)
Old January 9th 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Rhonda wrote:

There is a lot of calcium in it, but it does cause an increase in
mucous, which can cause increases in bacterial infections (bacteria
grown better in mucous.) Singers don't drink milk before they sing
because they'd be clearing their throats a lot.

That's news to me, and I was an aspiring opera singer for
most of my life! It's true my "beverage of choice" before a
performance was usually hot herb tea, but that was to calm
my nerves, not to avoid mucous. Also, alcohol can CERTAINLY
produce mucous, yet how many singers throughout history have
had a pre-performance glass of wine (or shot of whisky) to
calm their "performance" nerves?

....True, some overdid it - Bjorling with no apparent
detriment to his career. However, Robert McFerrin
("Bobbie's" father) only sang with the Met for one season
because the management decided his drinking made him too
unreliable.
Old January 9th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Rhonda wrote:

This probably would have been a good subject to keep buried in the past.
It appears to have been thrown into an unrelated post just to make her
feel bad. It's unfair to bring up a problem that happened 3-4 years ago
because you're having a disagreement now.

Shoudn't you be addressing those remarks to Pat, not Jill?
It would appear to be Pat who brought theu subject up,
not Jill (who merely responded).