Am I completety mad (OT)

Old May 4th 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default Am I completety mad (OT)

I am still humming and hawing....Friday I was grabbing some Sun and
one of my colleagues whom I don't work with that much took it on
himself to say how much he loved working with me, how I always have a
lovely smile and am so down to earth unlike most other people there
and how wonderful I was so I go back to my office thinking "That feels
good- I can't leave anyway I would have to tell Davy G and he'd be so
upset- it's not like it's a promotion no-one could blame me for taking
that"

Then Hazel the only one of the other secretaries I have much time for
work wise (One of them I get on with socially but am amazed she gets
away with her lack of punctuality-we're not talking 5 minutes here
folks, she's regularly an hour late- and one I have to bite my lip a
lot with because I just feel like saying "If you spent half the time
you spend complaining about how big your workload is actually doing
it....") gives me fair warning we have a new office manager and after
less than a week Hazel who has been there a good few years and was
hoping this job would see her out has gone to her consultants and
given them warning that she is looking for a new job- as she says the
new office manager is a bitch- I have met her twice and noted she has
no sense of humour and when I mentioned the cats and asked if she
wanted to see pictures she said "I hope you're not using work time to
put pictures up Hazel says she has been brought in to do a hatchet
job and she treated Hazel badly when Hazel said she didn't know how to
do something on a phone, which she didn't as Michelle whom she shares
the office with does that. a litttle later the new office manager
annouced she was having the next day off- leaving just two secretaries
out of a possible six so Hazel said do you want me to cover the phone?
And got the reply "I suppose you must even through you don't seem to
be able to use a phone"

Ended up telling Hazel about the offer (although I haven't had
confirmation from HR yet) and her advice was "If you have an exit
strategy then use it"

So okay I go...

Then it's Friday afternoon and I am feeling a little lazy, a
combination of my games club quiz night (to everyone's surprise I came
second!) and a big lunch with a friend (who I won't see if I do move)
so I realise the management are all pretty much off so what do I do?
Very little....I have my own office after all, which means I get a lot
of control over how hard I work and how I organise my work as well as
having a big shelf of books (a non suprising number of which are on/
about cats), and space for Whamsee Two to snooze away along with two
wooden cat statues I saw in a shop and fell in love with...At the
other place when I went to do my test it was a huge room with about 15
workstations and all you could hear was the clattering of keyboards
and now and again someone would call out "Who's doing Dr X?" and
someone would say "Me" and then everyone would get their head down
again. The office overlooks the Thames- if it's really like that then
I might dive in. Dave says perhaps they're all behaving themselves
because the management is about but what if its really like that? It's
on the second floor so popping out for some fresh air and a quick
ciggy won't be easy- especially as I know (I worked there back in 2002
for 5 months- hasn't changed that much as soon as I went in I took the
short cut to the North Wing stairs without thinking about it) you have
to go off site to smoke and that's a bit further

As for the shorter tube journey? It's shorter on the tube but a bit
longer walk at the other end.....

It's coming down to things like banks- NatWest my bank have a branch
on site but Barclays, Dave's bank is a short bus ride/ 15 + minute
walk compared to a 5 minute stroll. which involves walking past one of
the best and most reasonably priced sandwich bars in the area where I
am now- I would so miss their ciabatta! Or the fact that where I am
now there's a branch of Tesco's I walk past to and from the station as
well as an M&S useful if you've run out of anything but where I would
be going if I did move? Again the nearest supermarket is 15 minutes
away!

And of course money....if they offer me more I guess so but I sat down
and did a pro's and con's of staying or moving yesterday and there
were more pro's for staying than moving

i think it might all come down to the toss of a dice!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old May 4th 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

"Lesley" wrote in message
I am still humming and hawing....

snip kots about whether to accept a new job offer or not

And of course money....if they offer me more I guess so but I
sat down
and did a pro's and con's of staying or moving yesterday and
there
were more pro's for staying than moving

i think it might all come down to the toss of a dice!

You have now fallen into the trap known as the didactic decision
process. What that means is that the process of making the
decision has become more important to you than the decision
itself.

Take a step back, and ask yourself why you applied for the other
job. Then make a decision, and stick to it. Don't keep thinking
about the "what if I'd decided the other route?" scenario, after
you've made your choice, because you'll begin to doubt if you
made the right choice. That doesn't encourage positive thinking,
and you won't meet your full potential in either job.

In a previous job, I used to have to declare a "personal
development target" on my appraisal each year. With a crappy
bullying boss, I declared mine as "To find another job". I did,
and life improved.

--
MatSav

Old May 5th 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MatSav matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com wrote:

In a previous job, I used to have to declare a "personal
development target" on my appraisal each year. With a crappy
bullying boss, I declared mine as "To find another job".

Wow! That was ballsy.

I did, and life improved.

Glad to hear that. I guess once you'd burned the current job's bridge,
you had little choice. It's great that it worked out well.

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old May 5th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

wrote:

In a previous job, I used to have to declare a "personal
development target" on my appraisal each year. With a crappy
bullying boss, I declared mine as "To find another job".

Wow! That was ballsy.

I did, and life improved.

Glad to hear that. I guess once you'd burned the current job's bridge,
you had little choice. It's great that it worked out well.

With some types of jobs you can get away with that sort of thing.
Government type jobs in particular. The crappy bullying bosses can make
your life miserable but they really can't get rid of you. And their boss
can't get rid of them unfortunately. So crappy bullying bosses gravitate
to jobs like that.

Had on of those one year. At least his crew had the satisfaction of
knowing we were making his life at least as miserable as he made ours. And
we did have him outnumbered.

Jo

Old May 5th 08, 08:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

wrote in message
MatSav matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot
| com wrote:

In a previous job, I used to have to declare a "personal
development target" on my appraisal each year. With a crappy
bullying boss, I declared mine as "To find another job".

Wow! That was ballsy.

I did, and life improved.

Glad to hear that. I guess once you'd burned the current job's
bridge,
you had little choice. It's great that it worked out well.

It took almost a year to meet my development target. I'd applied
for the "new job" whilst my next appraisal was being written. In
the morning, I read the appraisal from my previous bullying boss,
which said "Matt has done nothing this year to demonstrate his
readiness for promotion". In the afternoon, I got a 'phone call
offering me the new job - on promotion! :-)

With some types of jobs you can get away with that sort of
thing. Government type jobs in particular.

How did you know that I'm a UK Civil Servant? :-)

The crappy bullying bosses can make your life miserable but they
really can't get rid of you. And their boss can't get rid of
them unfortunately. So crappy bullying bosses gravitate to jobs
like that.

Indeed. And my crappy bullying boss found he was gravitated to a
non-job, with no real function - and no staff to manage. He took
early retirement.

Had on of those one year. At least his crew had the
satisfaction of knowing we were making his life at least as
miserable as he made ours. And we did have him outnumbered.

Although bills need to be paid, there really is no point in being
in a job where you're miserable. There's always alternatives.

--
MatSav

Old May 5th 08, 07:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On May 4, 2:53*pm, "MatSav" matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot |
pipex | dot | com wrote:

You have now fallen into the trap known as the didactic decision
process. What that means is that the process of making the
decision has become more important to you than the decision
itself.

Sorry it''s just a real shock to me- I've never before had to make
this decision- in the past when I have got a new job it's been because
I lost/was about to lose a job and that's really not a decision at all
with 2 owners to feed, a roof to keep over their heads and bills for
the central heating to keep them warm- never mind occasional TED trips

Take a step back, and ask yourself why you applied for the other
job. Then make a decision, and stick to it.

Thanks I realise I am working without enough information here

1. I am not unhappy where I am-I don't like the attitude which seems
to be "If you do good we will mention it in passing and if you make a
minor mistake it will be etched on your gravestone" I can bear it for
the moment but can see a point where I would have to get out and take
the first offer even if it wasn't right at least I am not yet in that
position
2 I am applying for another job because I find audio typing dead
boring and want something with more variety
3. I applied for the job I got because it's in a speciality I have
worked in before and liked
4. Apparently the new job involves more audio typing

WHOA!!

I haven't seen the job description yet .....At the interview it was
implied I would organise a couple of MDT's a week that would give me
variety

5. I have applied for the killer job nearer home, easily more money as
it;s the next band in an area I worked in for 13 years and loved- Not
being too vain but I would be surprised if I didn't get an interview
since it's in the area I currently work in

Okay I stay but once I get cleared to organise a starting date on the
new job i.e. when I have more potential (shouldn't be long they even
implied they weren't interested in my referees and anyway I haven't
given Bev's details so she's in the dark) then I want to see the job
description and tackle the pay issues- the best appreciation after all
is the kind you fold up and put in your purse and the cost of living
isn't going down. I'll do this through HR because when I talk to the
really nice people in the new job they praise me to high heaven and
after 18+ months of being damned with the faintest of praise I am a
sucker!

The new people have to sell me the job if it's the same money and more
boring I lose if I move but basically I can afford to wait and see if
they give me two good reasons to jump i.e. if they can remove the two
con's I have for moving

So I am staying unless they can persuade me otherwise- the ball is in
their court

But what I can take away even if I stay is that I have proved I can
get another job!

. With a crappy
bullying boss, I declared mine as "To find another job".

I had a manager many years ago who was so determined to get rid of me
she even told me she was prepared to drive me to commit suicide. She
was a very nasty bit of work At one appraisal I said my target was to
"make sure we never have to see each other again!" It was the only
time we ever agreed (I didn''t get another job at the time but swore
at the MD using such bad words as "Tribunal" and "Unfair dismissal!"
that they made me redundant with a compensation package that was more
than they probably would have had to pay out if I won at a tribunal
(they knew they were in the wrong before this delightful bit of bitch
was on the scene I had appraisal reports from the directors praising
me in the highest terms and also I could have told a tribunal the way
they treated the then manager was illegal. After 5 years of top
service she called him in out of the blue and told him he was being
sacked for no reason and if he signed this contract he'd get a months
pay or else he would just be sacked. He was so shocked he came over
dizzy and as he was nearly passing out he heard the director saying
"Are you okay? Anne get him a glass of water" and Anne (her) saying
"Just put the pen in his hand and get him to sign now!"

Old May 5th 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

pipex | dot | com wrote:

Take a step back, and ask yourself why you applied for the
other
job. Then make a decision, and stick to it.

Thanks I realise I am working without enough information here

1. I am not unhappy where I am-...

2 I am applying for another job because I find audio typing
dead
boring ...

4. Apparently the new job involves more audio typing

WHOA!!

I'm pleased to have been of assistance! In Project Management
terms, what you have done now is stopped at "Gateway Zero".

5. I have applied for the killer job nearer home, easily more
money as
it;s the next band in an area I worked in for 13 years and
loved- Not
being too vain but I would be surprised if I didn't get an
interview
since it's in the area I currently work in

Good luck - although it's nothing to do with luck, of course -
it's all about skills and experience.

Okay I stay but once I get cleared to organise a starting date
on the
new job i.e. when I have more potential (shouldn't be long they
even
implied they weren't interested in my referees and anyway I
haven't
given Bev's details so she's in the dark) then I want to see
the job
description and tackle the pay issues- the best appreciation
after all
is the kind you fold up and put in your purse and the cost of
living
isn't going down.

Of course, it's a major issue - but it's not the only one.

I'll do this through HR because when I talk to the
really nice people in the new job they praise me to high heaven
and
after 18+ months of being damned with the faintest of praise I
am a
sucker!

Are you in a Trade Union? I thought that all public appointments
were supposed to be on merit - how do you know if you're
meritorious enough if you haven't seen the job description? !!! I
think your TU side may want to know about this appointment
process.

The new people have to sell me the job if it's the same money
and more
boring I lose if I move but basically I can afford to wait and
see if
they give me two good reasons to jump i.e. if they can remove
the two
con's I have for moving

So I am staying unless they can persuade me otherwise- the ball
is in
their court

But what I can take away even if I stay is that I have proved I
can
get another job!

Indeed. It does wonders for self-confidence, even if you turn it
down.

--
MatSav

Old May 6th 08, 09:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley via CatKB.com

MatSav wrote:

How did you know that I'm a UK Civil Servant? :-)

I suspected it when you used the word "didactic" :-)))

Old May 6th 08, 09:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley via CatKB.com

MatSav wrote:

I thought that all public appointments
were supposed to be on merit - how do you know if you're
meritorious enough if you haven't seen the job description?

I haven't seen it but the interviewers obviously have and I've ticked the
right boxes with them

Old May 6th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

"Lesley via CatKB.com" u27720@uwe wrote in message
MatSav wrote:

How did you know that I'm a UK Civil Servant? :-)

I suspected it when you used the word "didactic" :-)))

Heh! Actually, I heard that word on a Scout Leader training
course - but my employer was paying, and they gave me the time
off!

--
MatSav