OT Blue Monster may be on its last legs (err wheels)

Old May 5th 08, 02:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default OT Blue Monster may be on its last legs (err wheels)

Magic Mood Jeep © wrote:
tanadashoes wrote:
"Normin" wrote in message
news:CIydneZYksEAsIDVnZ2dnUVZ_tajnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
"tanadashoes" wrote in message
m...
Have you seen the Ford commercials where the spokesperson says
that the new Fords are as reliable as the Toyota. Makes me laugh
and get angry at the same time. All those years of saying that
they were better than Toyota, and Ford is finally admitting that
they were not as good. Found On Road Dead, or Fix Or Repair
Daily, indeed.

Pam S.

I love this attitude... I wonder why our US economy is so bad
right now. s'ok... just keep buying all those foreign goods folks,
then cry cause no one here at home has jobs or can afford their
homes.

Sara
who is quite happy with the 35 mpg her Ford Focus is getting

Sara,

I own an 89 Ford Tempo. It spends a lot of time in the shop. I
also own an 02 Dodge Grand Caravan mini van. It is in pretty good
shape, though I need to take it in and have the window motors looked
at.

The cars we've owned a 67 Opel Cadet (so far as I know the only
foreign car we've owned), 73 Plymouth Duster, 87 Isuzu I-mark, 80
Oldsmobile Cutlass, 85 Pontiac SX900 station wagon, 81 Buick
Century, 95 Ford Aerostar, 02, Chevy Express 1500 van, 89 Ford
Tempo, 02 Dodge Grand Caravan. Need I say more?

What got me was the "truth" in advertising aspect.

Pam S.

Ummmmmmmmm, In case you guys didn't know this, the majority (over 90%)
of Toyota and their other brand names (Acura, Lexus), Honda, Mazda
(which is more than 50% owned by Ford), Susuki and other "Japanese
imports" are manufactured here in the US.

Exactly. The days when it was cheaper to manufacture a car in Japan and
send it over here for sale are LONNNNNG gone.

So, even if you "buy foreign" you are still paying US workers
salaries.

US Factory jobs are disappearing because the mainstream factory worker
still wants to cling to a union job, but employers do not want unions
in their plants. Unions were fine when they started, protecting the
workers and their rights, but things have gotten out of hand. Started
back in the 70's with Hoffa, I believe. They now protect 'workers'
who rarely show up for work, and when they do, only do a half-assed
job, dick around and cannot get fired for lack of work because the
union is protecting them. Manufacturers cannot produce low-price
products if they are paying for people to not show up to work.

Yep. Unions started a hell of long time ago. Think ILGWU - remember the
jingle "Look for the Union label" ? It started back in the 1920s. I think
most of the biggie unions did, when people started realizing they were no
better than slaves, working in dangerous sweat-shop conditions. Now, they
just get "protection" to turn out mediocre product. IMHO.

Jill
Jill

Old May 5th 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Kreisleriana wrote:
"Steve Touchstone" wrote in message

As for the truck, I'll probably hang onto it, since the dealer says
it has no trade in value. I have a friend who enjoys rebuilding
engines and seems pretty good at it - at least they seem to run when
he's finished. I'm going to see what he thinks it will take to get
the truck up and running again, but still need to get a more reliable
vehicle - the fact that the Camry I'm looking at gets more than twice
the mileage also makes it look pretty attractive with the gas prices
going up and me driving 75-100 miles a day.
--
Steve Touchstone

But I hear ya. In my family, we drive cars into the ground. I don't
have a car, but my dad had his last one for ten years (not close to
your record!) and only gave it up when it got creamed in an accident.
He had the one before for about twelve years.

I had my previous car for 10 years. I wouldn't have bought a new one except
the A/C went out. You just don't drive around in west TN in the summer
without A/C. I'd arrive at work soaked in sweat, wishing for a shower and
it was only 6:45AM. I priced getting the A/C fixed. Would have cost more
than the car was worth. If it hadn't been for that I'd have kept the car
for who knows how many more years. It was a very good dependable little
car.

I don't understand people who feel the need to buy a new car every 2-3
years.

Jill

Old May 5th 08, 07:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep ©

jmcquown wrote:
Kreisleriana wrote:
[...]

Had my Jeep for 13 years (and it doesn't even have 50,000 on it yet),
and the Land Rover for 7

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old May 5th 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

William Hamblen wrote in
:

On 04 May 2008 18:47:18 GMT, outsider wrote:

Actually I don't believe this is a chevy plant. I guess it is a Toyota
plant.

Actually it is New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc.

http://www.nummi.com/

I think GM owns the real estate.

Bud

Interesting. Maybe that is what I read that I mis-interpreted but it was
too long ago (1999) to remember.

Andy
Old May 5th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

Kreisleriana wrote:
[...]

I love it. I always tell people if my a/c quites I drive the car off a
bridge and get another one (and I am all the way in NY). I _need_ my
a/c.

Old May 5th 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Magic Mood Jeep © wrote in

Had my Jeep for 13 years (and it doesn't even have 50,000 on it yet),
and the Land Rover for 7

Brand new!

Old May 6th 08, 01:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

outsider wrote:
Magic Mood Jeep © wrote in

Had my Jeep for 13 years (and it doesn't even have 50,000 on it yet),
and the Land Rover for 7

Brand new!

My 10 year old car had under 15,000 miles on it. Generally I don't go
anywhere LOL except to/from work, the grocery store, doctors appointments,
that's about it.

When it was only 5 years old it had about 8,000 on it. Some idiot at work
exclaimed, "Sell it! You can get a great trade in with that low mileage!"
Uh, yeah, and I can get a "great" car note. My car was paid for; why would
I want a car note? Fidiot!

My 2002 Hyundai has 11,600 on it but that's because I've taken a couple of
(fairly short) trips.

Jill

Old May 7th 08, 12:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_3_]

On Mon, 5 May 2008 19:06:37 -0500, "jmcquown"
wrote:

snipWhen it was only 5 years old it had about 8,000 on it. Some
idiot at work
exclaimed, "Sell it! You can get a great trade in with that low mileage!"
Uh, yeah, and I can get a "great" car note. My car was paid for; why would
I want a car note? Fidiot!

I heard that a lot from people when I just had the truck (I'll post an
update later, didn't sign on for two days and now have over 300 posts
to read - I didn't get the Camry but do have a new to me car.) Usually
the comments were from the folks at work. I'd reply by asking what
they were doing in '89. They'd give me a puzzled,
what's-that-got-to-do-with-it look. A couple of the younger ones said
they weren't born yet. When they finally got around to asking why I
wanted to know, I'd tell them that '89 was when I had my last car
payment.
--
Steve Touchstone
Little Bit, Sammy, Spotty, Princess, Furby