11 year-old male hacking-coughing

Old February 20th 05, 03:08 AM

Default 11 year-old male hacking-coughing

Hello everyone. My 11 year-old male Short Hair is having occasional,
but very disturbing coughing spells. They ususally start with loud gag,
followed by about a minute of coughing that sounds lung-related (wet
and rattled sound). These episodes occur every three or four days. They
have been occuring for about nine months. Between the coughing episodes
he appears to be fine. His appetite has been holding steady, but he has
lost one pound of weight over the past two months. He seems to be
playful most of the time, however. Can someone provide some insight
here? Thanks in advance for your help.

Smooth

Old February 20th 05, 03:36 AM
Mary

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello everyone. My 11 year-old male Short Hair is having occasional,
but very disturbing coughing spells. They ususally start with loud gag,
followed by about a minute of coughing that sounds lung-related (wet
and rattled sound). These episodes occur every three or four days. They
have been occuring for about nine months. Between the coughing episodes
he appears to be fine. His appetite has been holding steady, but he has
lost one pound of weight over the past two months. He seems to be
playful most of the time, however. Can someone provide some insight
here? Thanks in advance for your help.

Has he ever been checked for asthma or heartworms? When my shelter
cat did this the vet checked for these and she had asthma--very treatable.

Old February 20th 05, 03:45 PM
Spot

Sounds like he needs a full work up at the vets. When a cat looses weight
like this for no reason there is definitely something wrong. Don't wait any
longer to have him checked out if this is serious the longer it goes on the
worse he'll be.

Celeste

ups.com...

Old February 24th 05, 01:22 AM
Netmask

My cat has the same symptoms and is 10. The diagnosis was established when
he was 2 years old. He had contracted the cat version of HIV from a now
deceased cat. He is and has been in good health otherwise. He is maintained
strictly as an indoor cat although he has an extensive enclosed cat run that
takes him up over the house and into the garden where he sunbakes along the
pool edge!. The treatment is a short dose of Prednisolone for 2 days then
half a tab for another 2 days. Also a hot air radiator seems attractive to
him even though we live in a tropical high humidity environment. When he has
a fit coming on he runs straight into the bathroom and sits in front of the
radiator - I dutifully turn it on. I guess it is a lung viral infection, it
hasn't been identified. A (human) friend who is living with HIV AIDS for the
past 20+ years has similar symptoms and regards my cat as his special
buddy!! I suggest you get a blood test to establish the problem - don't
panic if it is FIV it's not transferable to humans and in cats it happens
via a bite (no sex please we are Cats!!!)
Hope that helps

ups.com...

Old February 24th 05, 01:58 AM
Karen

in article , Netmask at
wrote on 2/23/05 7:22 PM:

[...]

I also suggest a vet visit since it is unusual, but I will mention I have a
cat that is having an operation to remove a bad hairball from his stomach
and he will cough like that, but not get hair up. So maybe it is just some
hair having trouble passing. Do you give your cat laxatone regularly? (I
assure you I will be dosing Grant r.e.g.u.l.a.r.l.y after this!)