declawing

Old August 21st 03, 11:50 PM

"MaryL" wrote in message ...
"Cheryl" wrote in message
(D. Stephen Heersink) wrote in
:

I've always declawed my cats because they are always indoors and if I
don't, they will claw the furniture and me. Since I have expensive
furniture and don't want scars on me, I've found the declawing a cat
is the best way to accomplish our mutual goals.

You appear to think forums such as this are only read by people in N
America. That is not the case and everywhere else declawing is considered
barbaric. Get a clue. Scars on you; what a wuss. Furniture is more
important? Get a fish. ****head.

--
Cheryl

And, of course, many of us in N. America also consider declawing to be
barbaric. The irony of D. Heersink's message about "expensive furniture" is
that cats should be more important than furniture but the two actually are
not mutually exclusive. I have very good furniture and two cats with claws
(plus previous cats with claws), but no scratches. As someone else
mentioned, the only scratches I get are on window sills (easily repaired).
I do have scratching posts that get mangled, but that is their purpose!

MaryL

The last couch I bought for the livingroom had a metal frame...
Problem solved. ;-) Sisal scratching posts are cheap to either make or buy,
and the cats will PREFER to use them instead of the furniture, especially
if you rub fresh catnip on it. I have a large organic catnip patch out back
in the gardens.

Nothing funnier than a pack of stoned kitties. g
Please don't flame me for that, I only give them catnip every couple
of weeks....

Carpet samples turned upside down are an even bigger favorite, as are
the cardboard scratchers that can be purchased at petsmart. I'm considering
stapling some of the carpet samples to boards.

My cats favorite scratching posts tho' have been office room dividers!
They are covered with a burlap type surface, and I picked up 3 of them
for 5 bucks each from a local furniture recycler. The cats love to climb
them and perch on top, and of coarse, scratch them up. They look a bit
ratty after a bit but they are in the cat room so I don't care.....

K.