OT-Shooting

Old December 27th 04, 04:21 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , rachel
polanskis wrote:

In article ,
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

William Hamblen wrote:

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 10:44:16 -0500, Howard Berkowitz
wrote:

The spelling "Amerika", to a citizen of the US, suggests that all
related content is to be an anti-US diatribe. The derivation is not
clear ...

It probably comes from a novel by Franz Kafka.

I assumed, since the poster who used the spelling had a
Polish-sounding name, although she mentioned Australia, that
she was using the Polish spelling. Names of countries
differ - and not only in spelling - depending upon the
language one is using.

No, I also wear a "patriot badge" - upside down.
My use of the word "Amerika" comes from my readings of Abbie Hoffman
and others who felt their country was in trouble and in need of
a sense of humour.

I can only say that I knew Abbie Hoffman, although not well, when I did
news reporting on the protest movements of the sixties and seventies. At
best, his "humor" was incredibly cynical, as was he. His humor was most
redeemed, I supposes, when he published a radical book called _Steal
this Book_, and then sued his collaborator/ghostwriter for stealing
intellectual property rights and royalties from Hoffman.

A flag upside down represents "in distress". many countries are
currently in the thrall of a need to fulfil their Far Right destinies,
including Australia. I, being a patriotic Australian wear a
patriot badge, much like American Republicans do, but I wear mine
upside down as I consider our country to be "in distress".

I must observe that "Left" and "Right" have lost the limited precision
they had when referring to the seating in the post-Terror French
Parliament. It is my practice to regard far and near, left and right,
as slogans, and, when making political comments, to speak of actual
positionbs. Ironically, for example, many current Russians speak of the
Communists as the Right, since they represent "traditional values". At
the extremes of left and right, it is often rather difficult to sort out
the ideological differences.

Now I have disillusioned most of you and alienated 51% of the
American and Australian population. But do not forget we are not
a minority - just not able to govern right now....

Most respectfully, I suggest this sort of political discussion, which
is, by its nature, divisive, is perhaps inappropriate for RPCA. If one
wished, of course, to discuss feline ideologies...
Old December 27th 04, 05:48 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , Cheryl Perkins
wrote:

Howard Berkowitz wrote:

Most respectfully, I suggest this sort of political discussion, which
is, by its nature, divisive, is perhaps inappropriate for RPCA. If one
wished, of course, to discuss feline ideologies...

A much more attractive proposition. Of course, it does rather depend on
coming up with an ideology for an animal not noted for group cooperation
or pack behaviour, pick your term.

Based on a number of years of close examination of a limited number of
such animals, I think a political platform which would appeal to cats
would include provision of the following for all cats:

A constant supply of food which is either eternally varying, or eternally
unchanging, depending on the whim of the cat for which it is intended.

Warm napping places which are not already occupied by a rival cat.

Things to hunt.

and either:

complete protection from any silliness like having to go outdoors

or:

freedom to come and go without any nonsense like doors only humans can
open

Hmmm. With my three, it's more complex, as they are all very closely
bonded.

Mr. Clark, the senior (they were all adopted together but the other two
were kittens), is the Head Cat, and extremely benevolent to two- and
four-legged members of the household. In his mind, I believe his role is
the classic one of the senior sergeant to a new officer: "Sir, you
COMMAND this unit. I _run_ it." He has interpreted his responsibilities
to range from accepting the nursing attempts of kittens (admittedly with
a martyred look), to hugging (paw on each shoulder--he's BIG) and
kissing upset humans, to cuddling and disciplining the younger ones.
I'm not sure if it would be best to call him the Prime Minister, because
he's unusually accepting of my dominance, in a dignified way.

Rhonda may be the Hollywood Liberal, wanting to be the center of
attention, frequently announcing her opinion on most things, and
enjoying luxury, occasionally at the expense of the proletariat.

Ding, in most cases, is the proletariat. An even better description
would put him on the fringes of some French deconstructionist critical
movement, although he lacks a beret and a Gauloise dangling from one
lip. He is often in search of the Meaning of Life, or, in some cases,
wondering if there is such meaning. After his traumatic walkabout a
couple of months ago, he's now back to being quite affectionate, if
occasionally confused. Rhonda, who is about half his size, will almost
invariably win a wrestling match.

When last observed a few minutes ago, there seemed no class or doctrinal
dissent. They were sleeping on the couch, variously spooned or with paws
wrapped around one another.
Old December 29th 04, 08:47 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , Cheryl Perkins
wrote:

Howard Berkowitz wrote:

snip

When last observed a few minutes ago, there seemed no class or
doctrinal
dissent. They were sleeping on the couch, variously spooned or with
paws
wrapped around one another.

My two get along OK, but not with such affection. Mandy would prefer a
dictatorship; preferably an inherited one in which she has the top
position by right. If there's a title higher than Empress, she'll claim
it. She accepts Betsy's existence, and will even sometimes cede a napping
place to her. I think she's getting a bit older and more easy-going,
although that doesn't apply to animals other than Betsy.

Betsy would be a complacent member of the bourgeoisie, living off her
investments (or rather, a certain human supplier of the necessities) and
not actually doing any work. She loves the comforts of life, particularly
when provided indoors, but unlike Mandy doesn't get all worked up and
threaten 'Off with her head' in Cat if breakfast is delayed by a few
minutes or not up to some standard only she knows.

Could you classify their positions as being associated with any
particular Canadian political parties?