OT Martha Stewart Report

Old March 5th 05, 06:53 AM
Seanette Blaylock

"L. (usenetlyn)" had some very interesting
things to say about OT Martha Stewart Report:

What I don't like about her is her focus on the material. It's just
*so* unimportant to me, I really can't even say much about it.

I think I know why La Martha *lost* that decorating contest in prison.
She had to use the same materials mere mortals can afford and wasn't
allowed to use $1000/sq.in. fabrics and such, nor was she allowed the
slaves, er, staff to do the actual work lest she soil her sacred
hands. :-)

Old March 5th 05, 07:47 AM

Martha Stewart doesn't make women feel like failures. No one can "make"
you feel like a failure unless you allow it.
I agree that her style is out reach for the majority of (especially
working) women, but I can't say I hate her. I don't even know her,
except through the media. Her cooking style may be a little over the
top, but it sure beats families who eat at the drive through, or
women/men who prepare a "home cooked meal" that starts with a Swanson
Dinner Kit.
I just was curious what exactly it is about Martha that makes you
"hate the bitch." What did she say about her mother?

Sherry

Old March 5th 05, 07:54 AM
Treeline

"Karen" wrote in message ...

built after her husband ran off with his secretary. I think it was probably
pretty good revenge. She was convicted of insider trading and sent to prison
in an *extremely* short period of time (as such things go over here) and was
just released today after serving 5 months. (Now, cynics like me ask if she
had a penis would justice have been served so quickly?) She now has to do 5

On this newsgroup I notice a lot of sexist comments, more than most.

Take the above comment. Are you saying that men are freed more than women?
Yes there is huge discrimination in the world but generally this is not supported
by sentencing and the facts in regards to women.

I remember a female judge, without knowing any facts, decided to order a review
of the murder sentences because she suspected that women were being
convicted and sentenced longer than men. She ordered this review even though
she had absolutely nothing to back her up, but her own unsupported biases.
It's this type of hasty generalizations which lead to bias in the first place.
Granted men discriminate against women, but look at the facts first.
Just because in most places men discriminate, this does not mean
that it's true in sentencing. One has to look first and not be pre-judgmental.

The review came back that women in Pennsylvania serve only 2/3's the time
that men do. For homicide in the second-degree, women served less than 8 years
and men were doing 12 years and more, on the whole.

However because of her review, women now serve the same amount of time
in prison as men do in Pennsylvania for homicide!!!

Martha was sentenced quickly because she in fact does have a penis. If she
had not, for all practical purposes, told off the federal investigators and acted
as if she was above them, which she was for fame and fortune, she would
have been given a $500 fine and sent home. Martha has brass balls to put it mildly.
According to her former co-workers, she is a real tough lady and not very polite.
She, according to one police report file, nearly crushed a contractor who put
up a fence for her neighbor which she detested, with her SUV. Tough lady.
She detested the fence - don't know about the neighbor. Most people I know,
male or female, would not be able to back another human being against
an iron fence. The contractor claims he was not injured seriously because her
mirror broke off giving him room to squirm away before being crushed.
Interesting person.

Power corrupts regardless of gender. It's just a question of who is in power now.

Old March 5th 05, 08:04 AM
Yoj

wrote in message
ups.com...
How come?
My-o-my. I must say I've never seen such collective cattiness on this
group before, save possibly some past political discussions.
What is it about Martha Stewart that irks everyone so? Say what you
want, but you have to admit she's smart, she's shrewd, and she's the
first person I can recall who turned housekeeping into an art form.
Plus, she actually was convicted in federal court, and spent time in
prison with a fair amount of class. I don't particularly care what
Martha's doing these days either, but I don't hate her.
Besides, she's an animal lover.

Sherry

The main thing I dislike about her is her smugness. Her very tone of voice
is irritating. Her attitudeappears to be that anybody has the time and
money to make the elegant centerpieces, etc. that she supposedly does. This
is very annoying to someone on Social Security with two left thumbs. It
also annoys me to go into K-Mart and find her name all over everything in
the household linens department. I prefer a choice.

Joy

Old March 5th 05, 08:11 AM

L. (usenetlyn) wrote:
wrote:
How come?
My-o-my. I must say I've never seen such collective cattiness on

this
group before, save possibly some past political discussions.
What is it about Martha Stewart that irks everyone so? Say what you
want, but you have to admit she's smart, she's shrewd, and she's

the
first person I can recall who turned housekeeping into an art form.
Plus, she actually was convicted in federal court, and spent time

in
prison with a fair amount of class. I don't particularly care what
Martha's doing these days either, but I don't hate her.
Besides, she's an animal lover.

Sherry

She on more than one occassion has advocated using animals as
decorative items. IIRC she also said something about DECLAWING a cat
to protect furniture.

I missed the declaw statement. Where was it? Because I do remember in
Living an article about scratching posts and IIRC the tone of the
article was "don't declaw." I remember thinking it was a weird choice
of material for that magazine. It was a long time ago... maybe '01 or
so when it was run. I also remember an herb garden segement where this
Himmie cat was just sitting out there watching everything she did.
She'd stop and mess with him every once in a while. The affection she
had for that cat really seemed genuine. I don't think anybody would put
up with eight cats as a "facade." One maybe! But you've gotta love cats
to have eight of them.

Sherry

Sherry

What I don't like about her is her focus on the material. It's just
*so* unimportant to me, I really can't even say much about it.

Plus I'd like to take a pair of hedge clippers to those freaking

bangs
of hers...

-L.

Old March 5th 05, 09:12 AM
Debbie Wilson

Kreisleriana wrote:

Ms. Stewart is still at her home, in electronic custody. She petted
her dogs a few hours ago. It's been reported that she had a
cappucino. :P

Yes - but did she STIR it ??? :-)))

Deb.
--