Back after a decade

Old December 17th 10, 11:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
JenniferS

Default Back after a decade

I am sure none of you remember me but I was a fairly regular poster
here, and in rec.pets.cats Before the Split until my beloved place of
work decided that posting to newsgroups was not core business for a
university (for those who feel the urge to check me out I had a
different email address then). Since then I have lurked regularly. I
feel a bit sad about how the group has changed over the last year or
so, I would say the animosities that flare up are bordering on those
that caused The Split all those years ago but at least then there was
a focus, now it just sometimes seems mean. I think what we all need
are more cat anecdotes that we can read, laugh or cry and move on.
This should be a place to come for fun and fellowship, not sniping and
faction building, not least because it needs new people to be
attracted to a friendly, interesting, fun place or it will die and
that would be a loss.

So what has happened to me catwise since I last came here?

Back when I regularly posted I had two kittens who grew into cats
called Thelma and Louise, they have both passed on now, Thelma this
summer. Both of them ended up with aggressive oral cancers and were
helped over the bridge when their times came. Thelma was 17 at the
time and also suffering from arthritus and kidney failure, one of her
problems was tring to find a set of medictaions to treat all three
conditions at once. That's the sad news.

A while after we lost Louise I decided that Thelma seemed lonely (i.e.
I wanted another cat) so Lucy came into our lives. Lucy was the name
she had from her past home. This was complicated because we have a
child called Lucy but we decided she would have trouble adjusting to a
new name and it would be complicated explaining the change to her
school so we have Lucy-the-cat and Lucy-the-child now. We got Lucy
from the same rescue organisation that Jack Campin got his latest cats
from, they are great and can see a sucker a mile off. We went just to
look into the possibility of getting a new cat and came back with
Lucy. She was adorable in the rescue, really friendly, great with the
children, a total sweetie and, it turns out, a brilliant actress. Then
we took her home.

Five years later my younger daughter finally touched her and my
husband picked her up and held her for the first time last night. I
don't know what happened to her in her previous home, she was 7 years
old when we got her, but I cannot believe it was the "happy family
home' it was meant to be. She certainly hates children with a
determined and dedicated loathing. Luckily she coexists perfectly well
with them so long as they don't appoach her so there is no problem
really other than the children's disappointment that she is not a new
Thelma, who they could carry around and cuddle all day long. She
wasn't keen on adults either, we've had to learn to do things on her
terms, no stroking when not invited, no kneestitting and until
recently no playing. The only time she is loving is when I am in bed
when she comes for tummy rubs and cuddles, all night if she could. She
is now learning that putting her paw over my eye and extending her
claws does not necessarily result in the eye opening and strokes being
given. Its been a wierd experience after Thelma and Louise and all the
other cats I have owned who have been what the children would call
"proper cats".

Recently we have had a lot of snow here whech has kept Lucy in the
house more than usual. Once the snow went over tummy height she wasn't
keen on going out. This has turned out to be a turning point for her
because she has descovered what playing is about. The joy of a feather
toy or a laser pointer has finally got through her solid little head.
Instead of glaring at us as though we are idiots when we dangle toys
in front of her, or swiping the hand that holds the laser pointer, she
is running around like a kitten. She is even, once tired out, sitting
next to us and letting anyone stroke her. Part of me wants the snow to
stay for ever (and a much larger part of me wants it gone so that I
can catch up on christmas).

So there we are, I am back. Next I have to tell you about Lucy's
boyfriend Smelly-black-cat.

Jennifer

Old December 17th 10, 03:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 03:21:22 -0800 (PST), JenniferS
wrote:

[...]

Welcome back. I wasn't here during the Split I guess.

I love the Lucy-Lucy problem, that has to be a bit confusing. Just
don't mix up the meals.

I look forward to learning more of Smelly-black-cat. I let my cats out
into the backyard, which is fenced in so they can't easily get out.
None has picked up a boy/girl friend though. I discourage their
interaction with outside cats. Well, except for recently arrived
Scooter who still has full OUT privileges but, as it's really gotten
cold, rarely exercises them. He's decided that inside is better than
outside.
Old December 17th 10, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Dec 17, 7:11*am, dgk wrote:

I love the Lucy-Lucy problem, that has to be a bit confusing. Just
don't mix up the meals.

ROFLMAO!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old December 17th 10, 07:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
NettieCat

Welcome back Please post more anecdotes.

Jeanette

Old December 17th 10, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

"JenniferS" wrote

I am sure none of you remember me but I was a fairly regular poster
here, and in rec.pets.cats Before the Split

Hi Jennifer! Welcome back aboard! I seem to post date the split though
Thelma and Louise sound familiar. I was here in early 2008 for a bit then
left because there were too many 'issues' among some of the posters. Got
accused of all sorts of horrible things I was presumably doing to Daisy-Chan
'The magnifiscent' (RPCC name). LOL!

Daisy-chan had a hard life before us. She's a rescue feral who was probably
wild as much as 6 years. Like your Lucy-kitty, it took some time for her to
warm up but we took it from her view so it wasn't that bad. It helped that
she's not the first feral/semi-feral we have had over the years. LOL, she
had a rap sheet a mile long on behavior issues and the rescue place didn't
add them up, not being familar with such.

As it is, she's sleeping with our new rescue pooch, 'Auntie' Mabel Anne
(Beagle mostly, 10-12YO, been here since Thanksgiving week). Daisy-chan has
been here since early 2008 and decided about 6 months ago, she sometimes
wants in my lap for 'lapkitty' play. On a rare occasion, she will even lay
down ;-)

Old December 18th 10, 01:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"JenniferS" wrote in message
[...]

Welcome back! I haven't been here long enough to remember you, but if what
you wrote here is any sample, I look forward to more of your posts. I
really loved this:

--

Joy

I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is ready to meet me is
another matter.
- Winston Churchill, on his 75th birthday

Old December 18th 10, 01:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Joy wrote:

"JenniferS" wrote in message

[ snip for bandwidth ]

Welcome back! I haven't been here long enough to remember you, but if what
you wrote here is any sample, I look forward to more of your posts. I
really loved this:

Lucy was the name
she had from her past home. This was complicated because we have a
child called Lucy but we decided she would have trouble adjusting to a
new name and it would be complicated explaining the change to her
school so we have Lucy-the-cat and Lucy-the-child now.

Me, too! That was funny. Somehow it reminds me of those bumper stickers
that say things like, "My wife told me I would have to choose between
her and fishing. I miss her sometimes."

Joyce

--
What business is it of the state how consenting adults choose to pair
off, share expenses and eventually stop having sex with each other?
Old December 18th 10, 04:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Hi Jennifer! I'm sure many of us remember you. I was a lurker back
when you were a regular, and didn't have my first cat yet. Once I
did, she also came down with squamous cell carcinoma. I know that is
hard.

I hope that Lucy will continue to become more comfortable with the
rest of the family.
Old December 18th 10, 01:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Suz

On Dec 17, 11:09*pm, Takayuki wrote:
Hi Jennifer! *I'm sure many of us remember you. *I was a lurker back
when you were a regular, and didn't have my first cat yet. *Once I
did, she also came down with squamous cell carcinoma. *I know that is
hard.

I hope that Lucy will continue to become more comfortable with the
rest of the family.

Hi Jennifer, I've been here since early 2000. I vaguely remember you.
I was living in a nursing home then.I now live in an apartment with my
Guardcat Spicey, she's a tortie tux. With a spicey personality.

Suz&Spicey
Old December 18th 10, 03:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Dec 17, 5:59*pm, wrote:
Somehow it reminds me of those bumper stickers
that say things like, "My wife told me I would have to choose between
her and fishing. I miss her sometimes."

Or as my friend Jim once said "I caught my best friend in bed with my
wife....I really miss him"