Pet Food Recall: PURINA UR (MAYBE)

Old May 8th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cybercat

Default Pet Food Recall: PURINA UR (MAYBE)

"Sherry" wrote
You know, I've heard nothing but praise from a lot of people
Wellness. So I ordered
a case of it on petfooddirect.com. The little dooky-heads wouldn't
touch it.

I felt guilty at one point, for feeding FF, so I went to Petsmart and
bought a variety, so they could try them. (Both Gracie and Boo had
been on Iams at the shelter, and Gracie came in with such severe
allergies and asthma I had to change just in case it was her food.
Boo had gotten obese on Iams dry. So Iams was out.)

They liked maybe one flavor of Maxcat and that was it. My
cats have plebian tastes--and Cindy's point is well taken, FF
is expensive.

Old May 8th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Tue, 08 May 2007 11:19:47 -0500, diddy
wrote:

in thread : sighthounds &
siberians whittled the following words:

On Tue, 08 May 2007 10:51:41 -0500, diddy
wrote:

in thread 4.196:
Tara whittled the following words:

sighthounds & siberians wrote in
:

Anyone who says the companies whose products were recalled have no
culpability lives in a different reality than I do.

I couldn't agree more.

Tara

I agree too. That wasn't the issue. If a person was feeding a product
not on a recall list, they need not sweat blood losing sleep over it

Except that some people, myself included, do not want to buy food from
any of the companies whose products were recalled.

Mustang Sally

You sell food, so I'm not concerned with your bias

And you've never seen me hawking it here. I don't actually sell it
personally, the rescue group I run does, and all the profits go to the
rescue. The rescue group is an independent, incorporated, 501 (c) (3)
entity, in which I have no financial interest. It wouldn't surprise
me if the difference eluded you. In any case, if I didn't feed my
dogs Canidae, I wouldn't feed them Science Diet, or Nutro, or any of
the other brands involved in the recall. I have previously
recommended Nutro products to adopters; I will not do so anymore.

Mustang Sally
Old May 8th 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sherry

On May 8, 11:34?am, "cybercat" wrote:
"Sherry" wrote

The odd thing is, I don't see anyone around me, except newsgroup
folks, who seem all that concerned.

And are their pets sick or dying?

No--but I hope it doesn't take dead cats for people to at least show
enough concern
to take 5 minutes and regularly do a search for newly recalled food.

What I meant was, it's like the very first recall list came out, it
caused a little stir
and that was it. It seems like so many people I talk to don't even
realize the
original recall list was expanded to include so many products.

I'm not freaking out -- but I think due vigilence is in order. It's
not that hard to stay'
current on the recall info.

Sherry

Sherry

Old May 8th 07, 05:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cybercat

"Rona Y." wrote

What I assume is sarcasm aside, people are already panicking. In
fact, people seem to be panicking more about this than they are about
any of the contaminated food (spinach, ground beef, lettuce) that
killed humans, and those things were actually grown/raised in the US.
To a certain degree, that worries me more than the pet food scandal.

So now you're panicking about the panic?

And there really aren't many companies (pet food or not) that can be
100% trusted. That's just a fact.

Right. And the chances that there are NO pet food companies who
are not using tainted ingredients is really unlikely.

People create drama. Some people love to panic.

My heart goes out to those who have had animals get sick from
the tainted food, but FFS, tearing our hair out over the notion that
"no pet food company can be trusted" is stupid and counterproductive.
And when someone says, "I have been using such and such a brand and
my cats are fine," what is the function of commenting, as you did, that
theoretically no pet food company can be trusted?

It has one function. To create panic, upset, worry, etc., where there is
no rational reason for it.

My life is full enough of drama, I don't need to "borrow trouble," as my
mother used to say. People get sick and die, animals get sick and die,
all kinds of things happen, whether or not I climb the walls about the
possibility of them happening beforehand.

If Gracie and/or Boo sicken and die, I will be sure to post about it.

And that's the end of my crossposting.

Old May 8th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cybercat

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote

Anyone who says the companies whose products were recalled have no
culpability lives in a different reality than I do.

Of course they are to blame, who else could be?

Old May 8th 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cybercat

"Shelly" wrote in message
. net...
diddy wrote:

I agree too. That wasn't the issue. If a person was feeding a product not
on a recall list, they need not sweat blood losing sleep over it

You have *got* to be joking.

I think the same thing, and I am not joking.

What is the point of working yourself into a lather, Shelly?

Purina is an old company, it uses American-made ingredients, I have fed it
for a long time and my cats are fine. Why do I need to worry?

Because "you can't trust anything THEY say! They all lie!"

Pffft. We use our best judgment and let the chips fall where they may.

We are exhibiting a lot of trust when we buy anything from the grocery for
outselves.

Don't you have something better to do than climb the walls over the notion
that NO PET FOOD IS SAFE!!!!??

I certainly do.

Old May 8th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sherry

--

Actually, FF is way cheaper than Wellness. Even with the discount at
PFD,

Wellness is probably still the better food, and I'd buy it if they'd
eat it
regardless of the price.
But who really knows.

Sherry

Old May 8th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"diddy" wrote in message:

Nope, Why should I be? You can worry yourself to death over possibilities.
I'm not going to spent my lifetime in paranoia land

It's not paranoia to refuse to support the business practices of companies
that led to the deaths of people's pets. Even if one's own pets are not
affected.

As this recall keeps expanding in volume, it's hardly paranoia to view
suspiciously, the claims by dog food manufactureres that 'only this was
affected, and not that' and that nothing was commingled, although the foods
were all manufactured in the same facilities, and they can't guarantee that
there was no cross contamination.

I am considering switching the dogs' food from a manufacturer not involved
in the recall to date, because 1) they ignored my requests for information
and gave me the run around and 2) their food is manufactured by someone who
is involved in the recall. It's not like they're doing me a favor by having
me pay for their product. If I am not satisfied in their product or
business practices, I am at liberty to vote with my wallet.

Suja

Old May 8th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cybercat

"Sherry" wrote
Actually, FF is way cheaper than Wellness.

I have never been attracted to Wellness, as the hype is
so thick. Blueberries, etc. People saying that it looks so good
they even found it appetizing. Wellness is selling food to people
that looks good to people, that I know for sure.

My cat's find dried throw-up and mouse guts appetizing and
wash their butts with their tongues a few times a day.

They turn down leftovers from seafood restaurants, and
bits of steak and chicken that I have cooked.

I just can't see assuming their tastes are similar to mine.

Old May 8th 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cybercat

"Sherry" wrote

I'm not freaking out -- but I think due vigilence is in order. It's
not that hard to stay'
current on the recall info.

That's an understatement.