Divorce - Wife Abandoned Cats

Old January 23rd 04, 02:57 AM
Billy

Default Divorce - Wife Abandoned Cats

My wife is filing for divorce and has filed a fictitious police report to
get a restraining order to remove me from the home. We have 2 cats that I
could not take from the house and one needs special care.

I'm told by in-laws that I still have contact with that my wife has not been
living there for several days since she had me removed. The cats may be
abandoned because when I was allowed to enter the house last night with a
police escort for 20 minutes to get my belongings, the food bowl was empty
and the water bowls were very low.

Has anyone been through this? If I can't get access to the home and she has
abandoned them, what means do I have to save them? What rights do I have if
she divorces me? I need a suggestion quickly because the cats may be in
danger of death.

Old January 23rd 04, 03:52 AM
Gail

I would think that you would tell the police and the SPCA so that you can go
into the home and rescue the cats. Also, if you have an attorney, I would
contact him or her.
Gail

Old January 23rd 04, 04:57 AM
Shawn & Michelle

Yes, please report this to the SPCA or your city's animal control
organization. They can check to see if the cats are in the house
and have food and water available. They may need to have a police
escort them in, but it is their job to check for animal abuse or
neglect. Please call them ASAP!

Thanks for thinking of the cats. I already don't like your wife if
she is capable of doing such a horrible thing to pets!

Michelle

Old January 23rd 04, 05:56 AM
Jim Witte

Yes, please report this to the SPCA or your city's animal control
organization. They can check to see if the cats are in the house
and have food and water available. They may need to have a police
escort them in, but it is their job to check for animal abuse or
neglect. Please call them ASAP!

Thanks for thinking of the cats. I already don't like your wife if
she is capable of doing such a horrible thing to pets!

This is kind of a big thing (but I'm an activist type) for after the
immidiate problem is resolved (atternery has been contacted, SPCA is on
the case, perhaps animal-neglect charges are filed, etc): Write to state
lawmakers and local news channels, and try to raise the issue of
"Divorce/Animal Abandonment" with the populace at large. Here in
Indiana, after the two IU cretins burned that cat a number of years ago,
there was a rather large public outcry, leading to animal-cruelty laws
being changed. Perhaps you could push for something similar, like
treating animal neglect in divorce custody proceedings with similar
"weight" as child neglect is.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, so take what I saw with a large grain of
salt. Just something to think about - after the cats are safe.w

Jim