Tiger has a tumor

Old October 3rd 04, 06:15 AM
Elizabeth Blake

Default Tiger has a tumor

I brought Tiger (female, 14 1/2 years old) & Otto (male, 5 years old) to the
vet on Friday. I had felt a lump on Tiger's underside recently and wanted
to have her checked out. I had been taking her to the same vet for the past
7 years but was never really happy with him, so I decided to go to another
place. It's bigger, has more than one vet and nighttime & weekend hours,
boarding facilities, etc.

Anyway, as soon as the vet felt her, he said that she had a breast tumor.
He said that it would have to be removed, and that I should take a day or
two to think about it if I needed, but that I should make an appointment
within the week. Tiger has also had, throughout her life, what I call
persistent ear gunk. Thick, brown waxy goo builds up in her ears and drives
her crazy. She spends most of her waking hours scratching at her ears. The
top of her head is always covered in scabs and her ears are always bloody
from the scratching. She had them cleaned out last year at her old vet's,
after several years of me telling him I wanted it done and the vet acting
like it wasn't a problem and should be ignored. The new vet also said that
Tiger should have her teeth cleaned, as it's been awhile since her last
cleaning.

Tiger is 14 1/2 years old. The ear problem has plagued her all her life,
but other than that she's never had any serious problems. I asked the vet
about the tumor, and if once it was removed what the chances are of it
coming back. He didn't give me any statistics or numbers (other than an
approximate $750 fee) and I've been trying to find info on it. I've already
made an appointment for her, on Tuesday. There's no way I could not do it,
even though I don't have the money right now and my credit card bill be be
pushed right up to the max once it's over. I just wish the vet could give
me some reassurance that she should be in the clear once the tumor is
removed.

Tiger's appetite, litterbox activity and everything else has been completely
normal. She's not in any pain and doesn't even mind when I feel the lump on
her belly.

Oh, and Otto also needs dental work (his teeth are worse than Tiger's) and
now it looks like he's starting to get ear gunk in his left ear. It's
nowhere near what Tiger has, but I've noticed him scratching it in the past
week or so. He's going to have to wait at least a month, though, until
Tiger is finished.

If anyone has a good link or two for sites in breast tumors in cats, I'd
appreciate them.

--
Liz

Old October 3rd 04, 07:28 AM
Rhonda

Here is a list of sites:

http://www.i-love-cats.com/feline/br...er-feline.html

I have my fingers crossed for Tiger!

It does seem like something could be done for her ears, too. Even if it
is an allergy, there should be some sort of medication to help. I'd stay
away from steroids though, that's what triggered diabetes in our 10yo cat.

Let us know how Tiger is doing!

Rhonda

Old October 3rd 04, 10:58 AM
Phil P.

"Elizabeth Blake" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

85-90% of feline mammary tumors are malignant, so I wouldn't advise
subjecting the cat to a preliminary biopsy.
The whole tumor can be sent to a lab for histopathologic examination after
the mastectomy. This strategy spares the cat additional anesthetic risks
and discomfort - and you some money.

The most important prognostic factor affecting recurrence and survival is
the size of the tumor. Cats with a tumor diameter 2 cm have the longest
survival rates ( 3 years).

You can significantly reduce the chance of recurrence and metastasis by
removing of all four glands of the affected chain (radical mastectomy).
About 50% of cats with MGT have metastasis to the regional lymph node(s),
so, the inguinal lymph node should be removed also. The axillary node
shouldn't be removed unless its enlarged.

You'll find some good information on my site:

http://www.maxshouse.com/Oncology/fe...ary_tumors.htm

and Ohio State's site:

http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/docs/C...elMammary.html

Best of luck,

Phil

Old October 3rd 04, 04:24 PM
Betsy

I just had my cat treated for breast cancer. I wish I'd gone to the
oncologist FIRST because I'd have saved about $600! The surgery should be
radical, because the tumors are known to reappear. By radical surgery I
mean a lateral mastectomy. If necessary, when healed you may have to go
back and have the other side done but it is really hard on the cat to have
both sides done at once.

Then my cat had 4 rounds of chemo. A year later she is fine. The chemo was
very easy on her, in fact it gave her more energy.

Everything depends on the stage of the tumor, so act quickly.

I'd recommend going to a veterinary teaching hospital, as they will be
current with all new research. Where are you located? I went to U Penn,
and they are just great.

Old October 3rd 04, 09:49 PM
Elizabeth Blake

"Rhonda" wrote in message
Here is a list of sites:

http://www.i-love-cats.com/feline/br...er-feline.html

I have my fingers crossed for Tiger!

It does seem like something could be done for her ears, too. Even if it
is an allergy, there should be some sort of medication to help. I'd stay
away from steroids though, that's what triggered diabetes in our 10yo cat.

Let us know how Tiger is doing!

Rhonda

A couple of years ago, Tiger was on a prescription non-allergenic food.
Can't remember the name of it, though. She was on that for awhile (6-7
months) to see if it would help her ears any, but it didn't so I put her
back on her regular food. The vet said that they would make slides and try
to find out exactly what is causing the problem.

Thanks for the link.

--
Liz

Old October 3rd 04, 09:53 PM
Elizabeth Blake

"Phil P." wrote in message

85-90% of feline mammary tumors are malignant, so I wouldn't advise
subjecting the cat to a preliminary biopsy.
The whole tumor can be sent to a lab for histopathologic examination after
the mastectomy. This strategy spares the cat additional anesthetic risks
and discomfort - and you some money.

I think that's what the vet has planned - just going ahead and removing it
and checking the whole tumor once it's out.

The most important prognostic factor affecting recurrence and survival is
the size of the tumor. Cats with a tumor diameter 2 cm have the longest
survival rates ( 3 years).

The lump doesn't feel too big. Right before I took her to the vet I thought
I felt two lumps, but one was just her nipple that her fur had gotten stuck
to, and felt a little weird.

You can significantly reduce the chance of recurrence and metastasis by
removing of all four glands of the affected chain (radical mastectomy).
About 50% of cats with MGT have metastasis to the regional lymph node(s),
so, the inguinal lymph node should be removed also. The axillary node
shouldn't be removed unless its enlarged.

You'll find some good information on my site:

http://www.maxshouse.com/Oncology/fe...ary_tumors.htm

and Ohio State's site:

http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/docs/C...elMammary.html

Best of luck,

Phil

Thanks for the links. I'll read them tonight so I can ask the vet exactly
what's being planned when I bring her in on Tuesday.

--
Liz