and once more... FDA expands pet food recall

Old April 18th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

Default and once more... FDA expands pet food recall

(CNN) -- The nationwide pet food recall was expanded Wednesday to
include products containing rice protein laced with melamine, a toxic
agent, the Food and Drug Administration said.

sigh

Old April 18th 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

GaDragonfly wrote:

(CNN) -- The nationwide pet food recall was expanded Wednesday to
include products containing rice protein laced with melamine, a toxic
agent, the Food and Drug Administration said.

sigh

Should I be looking for "rice protein" on a can of cat food, then, to make
sure it's not contained in that food?

I've been scanning every can I buy to make sure there's no wheat gluten in
the ingredients list. So I will expand that search to include rice protein,
but is that what it would actually say? I assume "melamine" would not be
included in the list!

(That is not meant as a joke. When you say "rice protein laced with
melamine", is what you really mean that we shouldn't feed our pets
*anything* containing rice protein, until the problem has been eradicated?)

Joyce
Old April 18th 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

On 18 Apr 2007 12:03:18 -0700, GaDragonfly
wrote:

(CNN) -- The nationwide pet food recall was expanded Wednesday to
include products containing rice protein laced with melamine, a toxic
agent, the Food and Drug Administration said.

Rice protein isn't the same as rice flour is it? Science diet tinned
food has rice flour in it... is it safe to keep feeding the girls
canned food at all?!
Old April 19th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"Karen AKA Kajikit" wrote

| GaDragonfly wrote:
|
| (CNN) -- The nationwide pet food recall was expanded Wednesday to
| include products containing rice protein laced with melamine, a toxic
| agent, the Food and Drug Administration said.
|
| Rice protein isn't the same as rice flour is it? Science diet tinned
| food has rice flour in it... is it safe to keep feeding the girls
| canned food at all?!

And what about whole rice?? If the whole rice was contaminated it would
spoil all the by-products....

Old April 19th 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"GaDragonfly" wrote in message
ups.com...
(CNN) -- The nationwide pet food recall was expanded Wednesday to
include products containing rice protein laced with melamine, a toxic
agent, the Food and Drug Administration said.

sigh

It seems too much of a coincidence that so many kinds of pet food are
contaminated, especially since they are contaminated with a variety of
substances. I can't help wondering if this hasn't been the case for a long
time, and the first case suddenly made the other manufacturers start
checking.

Joy

Old April 19th 07, 11:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
pistor

On Apr 18, 8:55 pm, "Joy" wrote:
It seems too much of a coincidence that so many kinds of pet food are
contaminated, especially since they are contaminated with a variety of
substances. I can't help wondering if this hasn't been the case for a long
time, and the first case suddenly made the other manufacturers start
checking.

Which is exactly why I *insist* on feeding our crew stuff made with
"human grade" ingredients... if only they would eat it!

Victor

Old April 19th 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Joy wrote:

It seems too much of a coincidence that so many kinds of pet food are
contaminated, especially since they are contaminated with a variety of
substances. I can't help wondering if this hasn't been the case for a long
time, and the first case suddenly made the other manufacturers start
checking.

That is a more reasonable and less paranoid question than the one that
has been percolating in my head...

Joyce