We got the poo meds

Old July 2nd 08, 01:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

Default We got the poo meds

On Jul 1, 5:09*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Cheryl" wrote in message

news

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
TED has prescribed metrinadazole tablets. "But can I crush it up and put
in in her food so she won't notice it?" *I asked.
Long hesitation. *"Well, it won't be easy" he said.
I crushed Kitty's quarter tab up between two teaspoons and rolled it
around her chicken pieces. *Which she fell upon until she tasted it and
then spit it out.
As chicken is the only thing she will eat at the moment, the last thing I
need is to put her off it. *I put gravy on it then, it fooled her for a
whole minute.
TED, you are right, it will not be easy. *It will be impossible. *I
dipped my finger in the powder and tasted it myself, *it is so horribly
bitter that there is no chance at all that Kitty, with her fragile
appetite, would even consider not noticing it in her food.
Back to square one.

Tweed

My Shadow used to have to take that as daily maintenance for his IBD. I
tasted it, too, and it is nasty. *I got some empty gelcaps and put his
dose in that and washed it down with a treat following it. I have read
that KFC is impossible to pill, so this might not work for you. I also
don't know if you can get empty gelcaps in the UK.

I don't either, but it wouldn't help if I could. She hates being handled *to
be medicated, or groomed, against her will, she becomes a hissing spitting
tornado of hell with a million claws and a thousand teeth which she knows
how to use.

*I know that metrinadazole is available

as an injectable, but over here vets won't let you give it yourself.
Shadow was an exception and I got several vials given to me, but only
because the vet nearly killed him on several occasions and she was
covering her @$$.

If I cannot get the crushed up tablets into her somehow I will ask TED if
the injectable version is available here.
She must have ingested some of it - no poos at all today and although she
didn't go metrin hidden in the yoghurt or cream route this morning - she
noticed it in the cream, has never had yoghurt and sez she never wants to
thank you very much. *Which is a pity. *Such perfect organic probiotic
yoghurt would have been good for her intestinal flora ;-)
However, there was some lovely fat settled over the solidified stock around
the chicken I roasted for her so tonight I took a teaspoon or so of it, hid
the crushed meds in it, added it to the chopped up chicken she was going to
have and VOILA! *Down the hatch it went.
I know very well that her escapade, and the food she must have been given
has given her some sort of IBS. *Her poo was perfect until then. *I do truly
know her better than the vet thinks he does. *Because she was in hospital
recently and presented again at the surgery with something else quite soon I
wonder whether he's started to not see past her age and see it as some sort
of multi-organ failure. *I will raise this with him next time I see him..
She even ate a bit of "cat food" today.
She continues to be bright and cheerful and interactive with me and doesn't
sleep all that much. *I think she has a while yet..

Oh Tweed, I certainly hope so (re your last sentence). It is
completely awesome news that she ate her meds with the chicken
"fat".

Many vets won't look past age (at least with *my* cats), I hope he
listens to you.

Smokie Darling (Annie)

Old July 2nd 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote in message
On Jul 1, 5:09 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Cheryl" wrote in message

news

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

[...]

===
He won't have much choice ;-) Please continue your NDN songs and offerings,
I have a lot of faith in them, along with purrs and prayers, it healed *me*
from what I was told was certain death. Awesome.
Thank you, Annie.

Tweed

Old July 2nd 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Jul 1, 6:48*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote in ...
On Jul 1, 5:09 pm, "Christina Websell"

wrote:
"Cheryl" wrote in message

news

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

[...]

Always, every day

I have a lot of faith in them, along with purrs and prayers, it healed *me*
from what I was told was certain death. *Awesome.

blush twasn't just me. The power of the purr has been proven over
and over here.

Thank you, Annie.

Tweed