Well, I've Acquired Another Owner

Old December 19th 09, 07:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Default Well, I've Acquired Another Owner

Arthur Shapiro wrote:
Well, I'd love to see what she looks like too! With this totally-bandaged
head, I really have no idea. I'll get a picture when the far-off vet removes
the bandages.

I'm getting really worried about her not using the cat box for a day and a
half now, and don't know if I should contact the remote vet, take her into my
local vet, or just wait it out. I'll leave the cat box on my bed tonight as
she has absolutely no interest in leaving the bed.

This cat is really, really thin; bones around the back by the tail are easy to
feel. But she's still purring up a storm, and I am encouraged that she loves
baby food. It's hard to find that stuff all-meat, but I got several jars of
Gerber, both chicken and turkey.

Congrats on your new addition! The lack of litterbox activity is always
worrying, but cats can keep it in for a surprisingly long time. When I
took in Mir to the vet last Tuesday, she hadn't used the litterbox since
Monday morning. The vet checked her bladder, though, and it wasn't very
full at all. If your new addition hasn't eaten very much, and especially
if she hasn't been drinking, she might be perfectly OK, just a little
wary of using a litterbox in an unfamiliar place with other cats around.

Looking forward to pics when you can get them.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old December 19th 09, 08:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 06:31:08 GMT, (Arthur Shapiro)
wrote:

In article ,
Sherry wrote:
This is the best post I've read all year.
I'd
love to see a picture of her.

Well, I'd love to see what she looks like too! With this totally-bandaged
head, I really have no idea. I'll get a picture when the far-off vet removes
the bandages.

I'm getting really worried about her not using the cat box for a day and a
half now, and don't know if I should contact the remote vet, take her into my
local vet, or just wait it out. I'll leave the cat box on my bed tonight as
she has absolutely no interest in leaving the bed.

This cat is really, really thin; bones around the back by the tail are easy to
feel. But she's still purring up a storm, and I am encouraged that she loves
baby food. It's hard to find that stuff all-meat, but I got several jars of
Gerber, both chicken and turkey.

Art

Can you palpate her bladder, to be sure she's not blocked?

If you feel a hard round kitty part, in the same place it would be on a
human, if they were standing on their hands and knees, that's her
bladder. it can get to the size of a plum to an orange, depending on the
size of the cat, if it's really full.

If her urinary tract is blocked, it can be life threatening, in a very
short time.

If she is receiving opiate based pain killer, that can cause
constipation, so she may not be passing solid waste.

Or it could be the simple explanation: she was malnourished, and
dehydrated. The vet didn't give her anything, because it can be
dangerous both pre and post anesthesia.

Her GI tract could be completely empty, and just needs to 'fill up'; and
she may not be producing much urine due to being dehydrated.

Have you seen her, or evidence of her drinking any water?

That is what I would hope for, but do check her bladder ASAP.

When are the bandages supposed to be checked and/or changed?

If this was my cat, I would try to get her in to see a vet on Saturday,
if a all possible.

Thank you for taking care of this very unfortunate cat.

Purrs on the way for her to get well, and make a good recovery.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

---
Virus Database (VPS): 091218-1, 12/18/2009
Tested on: 12/19/2009 2:41:47 AM

Old December 19th 09, 09:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Sherry wrote:
Thispost about made me cry. You know that cat had a pretty bleak future at
a shelter. People like you, who are willing to take on a cat like that are
rare, rare, rare. Bless you. This is the best post I've read all year. I'd
love to see a picture of her.

She's the luckiest cat.
Old December 19th 09, 11:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kelly Greene

"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message

Nine days ago I answered a CraigsList ad for a kitty, described as
desperately
needing medical care for a badly wounded ear. ...........

Please keep us updated on this poor kitty. It sounds like she really lucked
out ending up with you.

Old December 19th 09, 11:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kelly Greene

"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message

The area of the bandages stank when I got her, and it hasn't gotten any
better or worse. As this far-off vet has a stellar reputation, I'll
assume it is the medicine they applied before wrapping her, and not
anything like gangrene.

Stank? I hope you find out soon what's causing the odor. That doesn't sound
right. She may need those bandages changed.

Old December 19th 09, 11:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kelly Greene

"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message

I'm getting really worried about her not using the cat box for a day and a
half now, .........

Is she drinking enough fluids? She's not dehydrated?

Old December 19th 09, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Dec 19, 3:28*am, "Kelly Greene" wrote:

Stank? I hope you find out soon what's causing the odor. *That doesn't sound
right. She may need those bandages changed.

I;d check with the vet-it may be that the antiseptic stinks but better
to call and be told that's what it is rather than not. Some ointments
do stink- Dave has to have something called Calumid put on his feet to
soften some extremely hard skin and it's basically uric acid and
smells like highly concentrated pee!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs