Ping Phil P - Omega 3 supplements

Old August 13th 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Riannon

Default Ping Phil P - Omega 3 supplements

Phil, you made a suggestion to me awhile back that a good Omega 3 supplement
is DVM Pharmaceutical's 3V Free From Liquid. Unfortunately, I don't think
I'll be able to use this for my cat as it has vitamin D in it and she has crf
with higher than average calcium (her ionized calcium is okay though). I
don't think extra D would be good for her high calcium (?). What do you
think about Foster and Smith Premium Plus Omega-3 gel caps - they have 180
EPA and 120 DHA; contains Vit E too but doesn't say how much:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...m?pcatid=15235

Also, I had mentioned something called Astro Oil to you; actually, I had it
wrong - it's called Astro's CRF Oil - it has 565 EPA and 340 DHA; it also has
15 mg CoQ10 and 200 IU Vit E but I'm concerned about the high amounts of EPA
& DHA and also the addition of CoQ10, but it sounds nothing short of his
miracle for his cat.

http://www.astroscrfoil.com/

Would greatly appreciate your opinion

Thanks Phil,

Riannon
Old August 13th 08, 11:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
franky.man2

On Aug 13, 6:00*am, "Riannon" u42022@uwe wrote:
[...]

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Old August 15th 08, 05:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Riannon" u42022@uwe wrote in message news:88929ea905797@uwe...
Phil, you made a suggestion to me awhile back that a good Omega 3

supplement
is DVM Pharmaceutical's 3V Free From Liquid. Unfortunately, I don't think
I'll be able to use this for my cat as it has vitamin D in it and she has

crf
with higher than average calcium (her ionized calcium is okay though). I
don't think extra D would be good for her high calcium (?). What do you
think about Foster and Smith Premium Plus Omega-3 gel caps - they have 180
EPA and 120 DHA; contains Vit E too but doesn't say how much:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...m?pcatid=15235

Sound ok. But you have to give your cat the whole 1000 mg gelcap for her to
actually get the whole dose. If you're putting it her food, she has to eat
it all. You could use an 18 ga needle on a Monojet or Terumo 3 cc syringe to
draw the liquid out of the gelcap, then remove the needle and give it to her
orally.

Also, I had mentioned something called Astro Oil to you; actually, I had

it
wrong - it's called Astro's CRF Oil - it has 565 EPA and 340 DHA; it also

has
15 mg CoQ10 and 200 IU Vit E but I'm concerned about the high amounts of

EPA
& DHA and also the addition of CoQ10, but it sounds nothing short of his
miracle for his cat.

http://www.astroscrfoil.com/

I wouldn't use this stuff. Sounds like a home-brewed concoction.

Phil

Old August 15th 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Riannon via CatKB.com

Phil P. wrote:
Sound ok. But you have to give your cat the whole 1000 mg gelcap for her to
actually get the whole dose. If you're putting it her food, she has to eat
it all. You could use an 18 ga needle on a Monojet or Terumo 3 cc syringe to
draw the liquid out of the gelcap, then remove the needle and give it to her
orally.

Maybe I'll give that a try if she's a willing participant.

I wouldn't use this stuff. Sounds like a home-brewed concoction.

I am wary. People say he's a doctor (human, not animal) in Montreal. The
CoQ10 having never been tested on animals is something I'm not comfortable
with either.

By the way Phil, did you start the fish oil and potassium with your cats at
the same time or was one started before the other? If so, did you notice a
greater improvement after starting the oils or the potassium?

Riannon

Old August 17th 08, 09:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Riannon via CatKB.com" u42022@uwe wrote in message
Phil P. wrote:
[...]

I noticed an overall improvement in her behavior (more active, better
appetite, more alert) a few weeks after starting the potassium supplements,
and gradual improvements in her renal parameters (lower BUN/Cr. and higher
USG) a couple of months or so after starting the omega-3s.

Phil

Old August 21st 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Riannon via CatKB.com

Phil P. wrote:
Sound ok. But you have to give your cat the whole 1000 mg gelcap for her to
actually get the whole dose. If you're putting it her food, she has to eat

[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]

Found one that seems better - it comes in a pump - but would like your expert
opinion before I order:

http://www.entirelypets.com/welactin.html

I noticed an overall improvement in her behavior (more active, better
appetite, more alert) a few weeks after starting the potassium supplements,
and gradual improvements in her renal parameters (lower BUN/Cr. and higher
USG) a couple of months or so after starting the omega-3s.

By the way, you would make a great vet - I'm sure it's not the first time
you've heard it though.

Riannon