BAH!

Old March 22nd 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default BAH!

Broadband went down this morning...

When it came back on, newsreader messed up. Said ... wait for it... over
100000 unread posts. Obviously it was having a senior moment. So I've
deleted everything and starting from scratch in newsgroup terms.

If I've missed any purrs required - please feel free to take from the
copious quantities produced on a daily basis in Chateau Unfit Family

Cheers, helen s

--

~~
you may need to remove dependence

Old March 23rd 06, 10:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wafflycat wrote:
Broadband went down this morning...

When it came back on, newsreader messed up. Said ... wait for it...
over 100000 unread posts. Obviously it was having a senior moment. So
I've deleted everything and starting from scratch in newsgroup terms.

If I've missed any purrs required - please feel free to take from the
copious quantities produced on a daily basis in Chateau Unfit Family

Cheers, helen s

The reason for that happening is, BT no longer host Usenet on their own
servers, they switched to Giganews early Wednesday morning. Once things have
settled down, this should be a good thing, they reatain text posts for over
two years and binaries for nearly two months. You will also notice a lot
more groups than you had before, though I doubt there'll be any more usefull
ones.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old March 23rd 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Adrian A" wrote in message
wafflycat wrote:
[...]

I'm considering BT for my new ISP. I'm not sure though, as my aunt & uncle
seem to have had a lot of trouble with their computer since they went on BT
broadband. I like to use my old email address from when I was on dial-up
for my family and friends, but they had to stop using theirs.
I like my private mail to drop directly into my Inbox and not have to sign
in to webmail to collect it. I have to do this for wanadoo mail and it's a
nuisance, but at least I can still use my old addy as normal.

BT will also be a bit more expensive. I took an online test to estimate my
monthly usage and it's 5.7 Gb, above the criteria for their basic package.
The jury is still out ;-)
My cousin Margi pays my broadband subscription so I don't want to cause her
additional expense (not that she'd care or even notice a few quid extra per
month, but that's not the point.)
I don't want to take advantage of her just because she has an income beyond
my wildest dreams. She was very concerned when I told her about Wanadoo
dumping me because she thought I wouldn't be able to be in touch with rpca
until I said I had NIN.

She was incredibly impressed by all the get well messages sent by rpca
members which Debbie forwarded to her. She printed them all out and brought
them to me at the hospital.
"How do you know all these people?" she wanted to know, so I told her. She
was absolutely amazed that such a worldwide cat community existed on the
internet that cared about each other and thought it was quite wonderful.

Tweed

Old March 23rd 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:
"Adrian A" wrote in message
wafflycat wrote:
[...]

I don't know how good BT are as an ISP, a useful site for comparing
different providers is;
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/compare.asp HTH

Old March 23rd 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Christina Websell" wrote
I'm considering BT for my new ISP.

Don't risk it!

I'm a very demanding user and swear by pipex.com
Good service, virtually no downtime and great speed.
Also they use giganews for all the groups you'll ever want.
I also hear good things from users about "demon", btw.

Good luck!

Gordon & the FF