Fairly sure

Old January 23rd 12, 06:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

Default Fairly sure

yes more effecient use of remaining sense, but not better, Lee
wrote in message
Sherry wrote:

On cats: Duffy and Holly both have incredibly acute hearing, despite
passing
years (11 for Duffy and 16 for Holly). If I hold one on my lap and make
little loving noises, the other will invariably come running.

MaryL

I bet Duffy has extremely acute hearing, to make up for his lack of
vision. I've always
heard that the other senses become more sensitive that way with
people, so it makes sense for cats, too!

I've read that this happens because the unused parts of the visual
cortex (part of the brain that interprets visual input) start getting
used by other functions such as hearing. Brain recycling - I like it.

--
Joyce

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you
come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people
who have come alive." -- Howard Thurman

Old January 23rd 12, 02:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

I bet Duffy has extremely acute hearing, to make up for his lack
of vision. I've always heard that the other senses become more
sensitive that way with people, so it makes sense for cats, too!

not true, they are utilized more because of the lack of input
from the missing sense, but they aren't better or more sensitive

A blind musician friend of mine used to get pretty ticked off about
that. People would say she was good because being blind gave her a
natural ear. She said no it bloody well didn't, she was good because
she'd worked hard at it for years.

Old January 23rd 12, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jack Campin wrote:

I bet Duffy has extremely acute hearing, to make up for his lack
of vision. I've always heard that the other senses become more
sensitive that way with people, so it makes sense for cats, too!

not true, they are utilized more because of the lack of input
from the missing sense, but they aren't better or more sensitive

A blind musician friend of mine used to get pretty ticked off about
that. People would say she was good because being blind gave her a
natural ear. She said no it bloody well didn't, she was good because
she'd worked hard at it for years.

Just because someone may develop more ability in other senses when they
lose one (or never had it) doesn't mean they'll develop an ear for music,
which is a different thing entirely from the ability to hear, even to
hear very well.

--
Joyce

"Sentimentality" -- that's what we call the sentiment we don't share.
-- Graham Greene
Old January 24th 12, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

she was right to be ticked, there are all sorts of sterotypes that
negatively impact the individual sterotyped, this is just but one. Lee
"Jack Campin" wrote in message
I bet Duffy has extremely acute hearing, to make up for his lack
of vision. I've always heard that the other senses become more
sensitive that way with people, so it makes sense for cats, too!

not true, they are utilized more because of the lack of input
from the missing sense, but they aren't better or more sensitive

A blind musician friend of mine used to get pretty ticked off about
that. People would say she was good because being blind gave her a
natural ear. She said no it bloody well didn't, she was good because
she'd worked hard at it for years.

e m a i l : j a c k @ c a m p i n . m e . u
Jack Campin, 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU,
Scotland
mobile 07800 739 557 http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter:
JackCampin