Medical OT

Old January 25th 12, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Default kindle

wrote in message ...

MaryL wrote:

wrote in message ...

Christina Websell wrote:

wrote in message
MaryL wrote:

Do you like to read? I have a Kindle, and I absolutely love it.

And there you took over my thread.
Normally it would not matter but today it does.

I'm totally confused. I didn't write the above. I have contributed to
this thread, but nothing in this past was part of it. Also, I don't
remember you starting this thread, but I might be wrong. Why does it
matter today? What's happening? You haven't gotten results back from
the CT scan already, have you? I remember you saying it was going to
take a while before you found out.

But what's wrong with starting an offshoot thread? I can understand
why continuing under the same thread but changing the topic being discussed
would annoy the first poster, since they'd had a different agenda for
starting that thread.

I think I might have been the one who did this, actually, because I
remember being interested in the Kindle. But what's wrong with starting
an offshoot thread? I can understand why continuing under the same
thread, but allowing drift to take over the conversation, would annoy
the first poster. But I changed the subject line, *and I also removed
all the references*, effectively starting a brand-new thread. So the
"kindle" thread shouldn't have been connected to Tweed's original thread,
and I don't know how she knew that it had come from her previous thread.

sigh I thought I understood this.

--
Joyce - doesn't use threading

I want freedom, the right to self expression, everyone's right to
beautiful radiant things. -- Emma Goldman

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

She would know that it came from her previous thread because the new thread
started with my statement from Tweed's thread. Still, I agree with you.
This was a completely separate thread. Nevertheless, I did apologize to
Tweed because her thread dealt with her medical issues, and she has been
suffering greatly for some time.

MaryL

Old January 25th 12, 04:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 1/24/2012 8:29 PM, wrote:
MaryL wrote:

wrote in message ...

Christina Websell wrote:

wrote in message
MaryL wrote:

[...]

It could be her newsreader. In MS and Thunderbird, it "threads" posts
underneath and indented from the original and then again underneath and
indented for each response. So the subject changes, but it keeps the
"". To start an entirely new thread you have to click on "new".

I hope Christina will mention to her doctor this confrontational
behavior, it could be a symptom of whatever it is that is going on with
her medically. She has always been "brutally honest", but not quite
this insulting to people who are trying to help her.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See all our masters at:
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old January 25th 12, 07:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default kindle (an aside)

MaryL wrote:

wrote in message ...

For some reason, whenever you respond to one of my posts, my user
name (bastxxxette) never shows up in the line above (attributing it
to me). I wonder why that is? This used to happen with someone else,
don't remember who it was.
Old January 25th 12, 08:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

wrote in message ...

MaryL wrote:

wrote in message ...

For some reason, whenever you respond to one of my posts, my user
name (bastxxxette) never shows up in the line above (attributing it
to me). I wonder why that is? This used to happen with someone else,
don't remember who it was.

- - - - - - - - - -

This is puzzling to me, too. I just went back to the Kindle thread to
check, and your name does show up in my post. I would have blamed it on my
newsreader (still using Windows Live Mail), but everything looks correct on
mine *except* that WLM will not put in markers to show quoted text.

MaryL

Old January 25th 12, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 1/25/2012 2:15 AM, MaryL wrote:

wrote in message ...

MaryL wrote:

wrote in message ...

For some reason, whenever you respond to one of my posts, my user
name (bastxxxette) never shows up in the line above (attributing it
to me). I wonder why that is? This used to happen with someone else,
don't remember who it was.

- - - - - - - - - -

This is puzzling to me, too. I just went back to the Kindle thread to
check, and your name does show up in my post. I would have blamed it on
my newsreader (still using Windows Live Mail), but everything looks
correct on mine *except* that WLM will not put in markers to show quoted
text.

MaryL

Mary, the " - - - - - " you put on top of your post (to separate it
since it's not putting markers) is causing it to look like a signature
in my reader (it's defaulted out and not quoted when I reply to you).

Old January 25th 12, 07:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

wrote in message ...

MaryL wrote:

wrote in message ...

[...]

Thanks. I did not know that. Please let me know if the markers I placed
above this response work better. And, of course, what I really *should* do
(and I have known it for a long time) is get a better newsreader.

MaryL

Old January 25th 12, 07:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Patok[_2_]

MaryL wrote:
"CatNipped" wrote in message ...

Mary, the " - - - - - " you put on top of your post (to separate it
since it's not putting markers) is causing it to look like a
signature in my reader (it's defaulted out and not quoted when I
reply to you).

Thanks. I did not know that. Please let me know if the markers I
placed above this response work better.

Probably. It's still impossible to say, because you answered inside
CatNipped's signature area. Not only does your reader not put markers,
it does not remove the signature of the post it replies to either. You
left in place CatNipped's signature line - the two dashes "--", and
since you replied below that, it was all one giant signature again. If
you remove the signature, though, I think the new pattern might work.

And, of course, what I
really *should* do (and I have known it for a long time) is get a
better newsreader.

Indeed.

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
*
Old January 25th 12, 09:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Jan 24, 3:52*pm, wrote:
Joy wrote:
* wrote:

* I didn't know that. Asimov, one of the masters of "hard" science
* fiction, a Luddite?

* Yes, very much so. *He even refused to fly. *He wouldn't travel anywhere
* unless he could go by train and take his typewriter with him. *He 'had' to
* spend at least six hours a day writing.

That's interesting. I guess he enjoyed the wonders of modern technology
only in the fantasy that he himself created.

I can understand this, actually. I've worked in the tech industry for 30
years, but I'm not particularly attracted to gadgets, and I'm pretty slow
to upgrade what gadgets I do own. My last computer was 10 years old when
I bought a "new" one (actually a used one, and it's not so new either). I
never rush out to buy the latest wizzy toy, although I eventually get
around to it (long after everyone else has moved on to something else).
Many of the techie toys I own are hand-me-downs from a good friend after
she's upgraded. I still use a VCR and a flip phone, and have never used
a GPS system (I have a decent sense of direction so why would I need it?)

It can be a little embarrassing when talking to fellow computer techies,
who seem to feel that we should all have the very latest of everything.
On the other hand, the stuff I use works fine, and I'm not all that
anxious to part with my money. That's the issue in a nutshell: cheapness.
I'm not so much afraid of new technology as I am afraid of debt.

But I also hate how all this obsolescence is deliberately planned. It's
so wasteful and toxic. There's no real reason to dump out perfectly usable
stuff every 18 months.

/rant

Same here. It took me the longest time before I got a digital camera
and a desktop PC. I worked on telecommunication software for 20 years.
My home phone was a test model.
Still don't own a cell phone. No laptop either. I got my e-reader
recently just so I won't have to carry heavy books around.
I got a cheaper model instead of a tablet or an iPad.
And it was a Christmas present. I didn't replace my PC until
it finally died on me. I am retired so have to watch my expenses

--
Joyce

Beauty and music seduce us first; later, ashamed of our own
sensuality, we insist on meaning. * * * * * * * * *-- Clive Barker

Old January 25th 12, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

wrote in message ...

MaryL wrote:

wrote in message ...

For some reason, whenever you respond to one of my posts, my user
name (bastxxxette) never shows up in the line above (attributing it
to me). I wonder why that is? This used to happen with someone else,
don't remember who it was.

- - - - - - - - - -

This is puzzling to me, too. I just went back to the Kindle thread to
check, and your name does show up in my post. I would have blamed it on
my newsreader (still using Windows Live Mail), but everything looks
correct on mine *except* that WLM will not put in markers to show quoted
text.

MaryL

Mary, the " - - - - - " you put on top of your post (to separate it
since it's not putting markers) is causing it to look like a signature
in my reader (it's defaulted out and not quoted when I reply to you).

Hmmmm... actually everything under *my* signature was defaulted out so
when I hit "reply" this is what I got. This happened once before and I
had to highlight your part of the note to get it to quote it - I'll do
that now and show you the difference (BTW, I have *NO* idea when any of
this is happening - I'm a total dolt when it comes to electronic stuff)