OT Ferguson monologue

Old February 22nd 07, 06:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

Default OT Ferguson monologue

I watched this the other night when it was aired and was stunned by how
well Craig Ferguson communicates. Yes, he has insight, but the way he
can communicate it is a real gift. This rang true for me just with
things other than alcohol. Do yourself a favor and watch this clip. I
have always just loved his show, but this really was an important TV
moment IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bbaRyDLMvA

Old February 22nd 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 00:11:47 -0600, Karen
yodeled:

I watched this the other night when it was aired and was stunned by how
well Craig Ferguson communicates. Yes, he has insight, but the way he
can communicate it is a real gift. This rang true for me just with
things other than alcohol. Do yourself a favor and watch this clip. I
have always just loved his show, but this really was an important TV
moment IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bbaRyDLMvA

Sometimes I think it's amazing that Ferguson has his own show. He is
a great monologuist, has great sense of the absurd, goes way out on
limbs, and goes on at great length, too. His monologues are much
longer than Letterman's or Leno's. He's a nervy guy but
compassionate. I knew he was a great guy.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old February 22nd 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default And about Alcoholism (WAS: OT Ferguson monologue)

Karen wrote:
I watched this the other night when it was aired and was stunned by
how well Craig Ferguson communicates. Yes, he has insight, but the
way he can communicate it is a real gift. This rang true for me just
with things other than alcohol. Do yourself a favor and watch this
clip. I have always just loved his show, but this really was an
important TV moment IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bbaRyDLMvA

An excellent clip. I've heard Ferguson mention in the past he doesn't drink
but I didn't realize (or perhaps didn't think about it hard enough) it was
because he *can't* drink.

Sorry to highjack your thread but this really hit home. I'm the child of an
alcoholic. I don't really know if Dad would have had a problem with
drinking if he hadn't been in the military for 30 years. Probably so, but
the military (at that time) encouraged it. When he enlisted in WWII the
"image", if you will, was of the two-fisted hard-drinking man. Booze was
practically free if you were a soldier; every base had an NCO club and an O
club. At the commissary booze is sold tax-free. All I remember was I
rarely saw him sober until I was in my mid-teens; in fact I rarely saw him
at all. With him, drinking was an every day thing. He'd get off work at
5PM and hit the OClub (or after he retired from the Marines, a neighborhood
pub). Every day. I don't quite know how he managed to get up at 5AM and go
back to work the next day, but he did, I'll give him that! On weekends he'd
pretend he was going golfing. We all knew better; it was that proverbial
19th Hole and he'd be there all day. It's a wonder he didn't kill himself
or someone else.

To this day we don't know what the catalyst was. In 1976 he abruptly made
the decision to quit drinking. He did fall off the wagon a couple of times
in the years after, once when his brother died at the very young age of 58
which I suppose is understandable. Dad flew to Washington for the funeral
and disappeared for almost a week. He'd hooked up with an old Marine buddy
and they went on a bender for days. Mom was frantic, of course, since no
one had any idea where he was.

I gather he hasn't touched a drop in years now but it's got to be a constant
struggle. I applaud my dad even if he did mis-step once or twice. I tend
to drink a bit too much on occasion. But then I can *and do* go for weeks
at a time without wanting a drop so I don't think of my drinking as a
"problem". Of course, I could be wrong.

Jill

Old February 23rd 07, 07:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Kreisleriana wrote:

Karen yodeled:

I watched this the other night when it was aired and was stunned by how
well Craig Ferguson communicates. Yes, he has insight, but the way he
can communicate it is a real gift. This rang true for me just with
things other than alcohol. Do yourself a favor and watch this clip. I
have always just loved his show, but this really was an important TV
moment IMO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bbaRyDLMvA

Sometimes I think it's amazing that Ferguson has his own show. He is
a great monologuist, has great sense of the absurd, goes way out on
limbs, and goes on at great length, too. His monologues are much
longer than Letterman's or Leno's. He's a nervy guy but
compassionate. I knew he was a great guy.

That was great, thanks for posting it. You really have to admire a
guy who can talk about waking up soaked in his own urine, and make it
funny. ("At least, I think it was mine... I *hope* it was mine.")

Then again, I could listen to this guy read the dictionary with that
brogue! (Is a Scottish accent called a brogue, actually?)

Joyce
Old February 23rd 07, 07:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

wrote:
Kreisleriana wrote:

Karen yodeled:

[...]

It's a brogue! I miss hearing my grandparents' brogue. Listening to Craig
Ferguson brings it all back. I remember my aunt Jean (whose birthday would
have been yesterday, were she still alive) telling me how much she missed
hearing her parents brogue.

I called her once because I won tickets on a radio station call in thing
where they wanted to know the meaning of the word "oxter" and I (like
Horshack on Welcome Back Kotter) went OOOH! OOOH! OOOH! I know! Armpit!
And the DJ offering the free tickets was floored, wow! How did you know
that?! It's what my grandmother called them. LOL

But there are different brogues... the voices from the Low Country where my
grandparents were from are a softer burr, around Glasgow, than from the
Highlanders.

Jill

Old February 28th 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

But there are different brogues... the voices from the Low Country
where my grandparents were from are a softer burr, around Glasgow,
than from the Highlanders.

You obviously haven't heard a Glasgow accent, it's one of the harshest
Scots accent that there is. I don't know how you got the idea it's a
soft burr, who told you this?

Scots accents vary on a southwest-northeast axis. The dialect spoken
in the far northeast (around Fraserburgh and Peterhead) is almost
incomprehensible to anyone else. Glasgow accents are in the southwest
group with a few local oddities.

The Highlands is northwest of the areas where Scots is the primary
language/dialect. A lot of Highlanders don't have Scots accents at
all, and most don't have very marked ones - this is because they
spoke Gaelic until a couple of generations ago and learnt their
English from teachers and the BBC.