Am I the Alpha Cat?

Old August 19th 03, 10:37 PM
Helen Miles

Default Am I the Alpha Cat?

Unlike dogs, eye contact is not a dominance signal. Rather, it is a
signal of friendship, as it is in humans.

Orchid

Sorry, but I beg to differ. In cats eye contact is a threat. If you star
at a cat you are deliberately intimidating it. In the wild, a dominant
cat will stare at a rival, and what will then usually happen is that the
subordinate will drop eye contact and turn away. That's why cats are
attracted to people who don't like cats - the lack od eye contact
signals a lack of threat and the cat then feels it is safe to approach.
If you are trying to make friends with a cat, you should always look
away or to one side. Eye contact is threatening.

Just my £0.02

Helen M

Old August 19th 03, 10:43 PM
bewtifulfreak

Helen Miles wrote:
Unlike dogs, eye contact is not a dominance signal. Rather, it is a
signal of friendship, as it is in humans.

Orchid

Sorry, but I beg to differ. In cats eye contact is a threat. If you
star at a cat you are deliberately intimidating it. In the wild, a
dominant cat will stare at a rival, and what will then usually happen
is that the subordinate will drop eye contact and turn away. That's
why cats are attracted to people who don't like cats - the lack od
eye contact signals a lack of threat and the cat then feels it is
safe to approach. If you are trying to make friends with a cat, you
should always look away or to one side. Eye contact is threatening.

Just my £0.02

How funny, I just now posted about this in another group! I was confused by
what Orchid said, because I knew cats generally don't like prolonged eye
contact, but I just read something which clarified what she said for me.
Slow, blinking eye contact is a signal of friendship between cats, and can
be very calming and a sign of affection when done by a human, whereas a
continuous stare from humans or other cats is threatening (as per
catsinternational.org). So it's the type of eye contact they don't like,
rather than not liking any at all.

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Old August 19th 03, 10:47 PM
bewtifulfreak

bewtifulfreak wrote:

Helen Miles wrote:

Sorry, but I beg to differ. In cats eye contact is a threat.

How funny, I just now posted about this in another group!

Er, one of the groups on this list, yes, but *only* to that group, so wasn't
sure if Helen saw it or not, since her response was crossposted, whereas I
had responded to a post in this thread that was not.... :}

Old August 20th 03, 02:15 AM
Arjun Ray

In lgate.org, "Helen
Miles" wrote:

| Unlike dogs, eye contact is not a dominance signal. Rather, it is a
| signal of friendship, as it is in humans.

| Sorry, but I beg to differ. In cats eye contact is a threat. If you
| [stare] at a cat you are deliberately intimidating it. In the wild,
| a dominant cat will stare at a rival, and what will then usually
| happen is that the subordinate will drop eye contact and turn away.

This is my understanding too. I don't know where Orchid got her
information, but it contradicts everything I've found and read. For
instance, Pam Johnson-Bennett, in _Think Like A Cat_, writes (p.25):

: Avoiding eye contact is one method a submissive cat uses to try to
: prevent a violent confrontation with another cat. An aggressive
: cat will make direct eye contact.

Anitra Frazier, in _The New Natural Cat_, writes about "cat kisses",
which consists of *blinking* slowly at cats as a calming signal. I've
seen this work many times with ferals: when they lose the bugeyed stare
and blink back, they are also visibly more relaxed.

For humans, the natural tendency is to stare at things that interest us.
This is how we quite unwittingly spoil initial contacts with cats: they
would much rather not have a bunch of large creatures gawking at them.

| That's why cats are attracted to people who don't like cats - the
| lack od eye contact signals a lack of threat and the cat then feels
| it is safe to approach.

Thus the canonical story of the cat jumping into the lap of the one
person in the room who didn't like cats - everyone else stared at the
cat at some point and gave it the wrong signal! ;-)

| If you are trying to make friends with a cat, you should always look
| away or to one side. Eye contact is threatening.

You can combine this by turning back to the cat and blinking slowly.
The payoff is getting the cat to blink back at you! :-)

Old August 20th 03, 02:15 AM
Arjun Ray

alpha cats Rob Cat health & behaviour 14 October 9th 04 03:17 AM
Am I the Alpha Cat? Cheryl Perkins Cat anecdotes 11 August 20th 03 02:15 AM
Am I the Alpha Cat? Helen Miles Cat community 3 August 20th 03 02:15 AM