of pets long long ago.....

Old July 31st 11, 01:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Michael Lane

Default of pets long long ago.....

I don't know why but was thinking of dog that followed me home from
school when I was in first grade . I was 5, am now 63,
was a chow, reddish brown, have no pics, except memories of good dog .
We named him Poochie . Don't know why I was thinking of him, as have not
thought about him in years . also was thinking of my dad, who has been
gone 20 years .
--------------------------------

does anyone else think of their pets that have been gone so long ?

best regards

Michael Lane
n Flatrock, Tennessee

Old July 31st 11, 05:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 7/31/2011 7:04 AM, Michael Lane wrote:
I don't know why but was thinking of dog that followed me home from
school when I was in first grade . I was 5, am now 63,
was a chow, reddish brown, have no pics, except memories of good dog .
We named him Poochie . Don't know why I was thinking of him, as have not
thought about him in years . also was thinking of my dad, who has been
gone 20 years .
--------------------------------

does anyone else think of their pets that have been gone so long ?

best regards

Michael Lane
n Flatrock, Tennessee

Most assuredly, I do. I remember one mutt (I've never in my life had a
"pure-bred" animal), who pas part Labrador retriever, who used to walk
half-way to school with me and would be there in the same spot waiting
when I came home again. He was a small do but took on a Nutria to save
my brother's life. We had a part Chihuahua and a cat who took care of
each other and sustained each other after hurricane Betsy when our house
was flooded and we couldn't get back home for three days (they were
trapped in the loft in the barn - the water had floated them up there
but had stranded them up there when it went back down again.

In fact it's probably easier for me to remember pets than people!

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old July 31st 11, 06:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Michael Lane" wrote in message

I don't know why but was thinking of dog that followed me home from
school when I was in first grade . I was 5, am now 63,
was a chow, reddish brown, have no pics, except memories of good dog .
We named him Poochie . Don't know why I was thinking of him, as have not
thought about him in years . also was thinking of my dad, who has been
gone 20 years .
--------------------------------

does anyone else think of their pets that have been gone so long ?

best regards

Michael Lane
n Flatrock, Tennessee

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Absolutely. My first cat when I was an adult lived to be 20 years old. My
next cat lived to be 16. I still have their pictures on my computer hutch,
and you can see the pictures in some of the photos I posted in my online
albums. I see their pictures every day and think of them often. I also
scanned pictures of some of my childhood pets, and I have them on my
computer. They all bring back many wonderful memories.

Now for the present time: Holly is now 16 years old, and Duffy is
approximately 11. I love them more than words can express.

MaryL

Old July 31st 11, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 07/31/2011 06:04 AM, Michael Lane wrote:
I don't know why but was thinking of dog that followed me home from
school when I was in first grade . I was 5, am now 63,
was a chow, reddish brown, have no pics, except memories of good dog .
We named him Poochie . Don't know why I was thinking of him, as have not
thought about him in years . also was thinking of my dad, who has been
gone 20 years .
--------------------------------

does anyone else think of their pets that have been gone so long ?

best regards

Michael Lane
n Flatrock, Tennessee

Yes! And I wish I had understood pets better than I did at that time --
but that was long, long ago. We also had a red dog follow my son home
when he was eight. He had been praying for a dog every night. The dog
was sick and had infected eyes. We took him to a Vet the next day and
left him there for a few days. We tried to locate his owner for a long
time without success. My son named him Rex (Latin for King, he said).
He was a cocker spaniel mix (golden or red setter). We had him for 14
years. MLB
Old July 31st 11, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Michael Lane" wrote in message
I don't know why but was thinking of dog that followed me home from
school when I was in first grade . I was 5, am now 63,
was a chow, reddish brown, have no pics, except memories of good dog .
We named him Poochie . Don't know why I was thinking of him, as have not
thought about him in years . also was thinking of my dad, who has been
gone 20 years .
--------------------------------

does anyone else think of their pets that have been gone so long ?

best regards

Michael Lane
n Flatrock, Tennessee

I had a dog, Sampson. Oh, the first pet I had was a parakeet my father gave
me when I was six. I had several other parakeets during my lifetime. And I
had a fischer lovebird, Peaches, who I assume is still alive and lives with
one of my brothers. (We don't speak. That's a long story).

My ex-husband gave me a puppy, Sampson, just before we got married in 1978.
The dog lived 18 years. I loved him so much he was included in the property
settlement when we got divorced. Sampson died in 1999. He was a small dog
but he looked like a tiny black lab. He even pointed like a lab! Yes, I
think of him often. I don't think any of us ever forget beloved pets.

Jill

Old July 31st 11, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 7/31/2011 3:44 PM, jmcquown wrote:

[...]

What!!? I don't remember reading about Peaches! I had no idea she was
no longer with you. I'm sorry to hear that, I know you were very close
to her.

Old August 1st 11, 12:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

When I moved here in 2008 to take care of my mother I left Peaches with my
brother. I didn't think a 700 mile car trip would be good for a bird. (It
was hard enough on Persia!) Then of course there was the big falling out
because Mom left me the house. As far as I know he's still got Peaches. I
don't know. We don't speak.

Jill

Old August 1st 11, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 7/31/2011 6:37 PM, jmcquown wrote:

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Oh that's awful! I'm so sorry. I know you've had problems with your
brothers before, and I remember you posting about the falling out you
had with them over the house, but I didn't realize it had gone that far.
I'm sorry for Peaches too - I'm sure she misses you.

Old August 1st 11, 02:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

My oldest brother and I still talk. But the middle brother, nope. He
forgets that I came and took care of HIM when he had surgery. Even then he
begrudged me wanting to go home to feed Persia and clean her litter box! He
said, "It's just a cat". Excuse me?! And you're a grown man, you don't
need your little sister to babysit you. He was ambulatory. There I was,
cooking for him, doing his laundry. I even washed his hair in the kitchen
sink and changed his dressings. But he didn't want me to go home and take
care of my cat? He just expected me to leave her there? Get over it!

He's got a good job and he got 1/3 of the money. But that wasn't enough for
him. He expected me to sell the house and give him 1/3 of the proceeds from
that, too. Mom's lawyer explained to him even if I sold the house I wasn't
obligated to give him a dime of that money. But he felt entitled. Why? I
don't know.

When I refused to sell the house he actually sent me a BILL for attending
Mom's funeral. Hotel, restaurants, rental car, air fare... he had it all
listed out. (I let her lawyer deal with that.) Then he threatened to
contest the Will. Mom's lawyer said, "Go ahead! It will cost you thousands
of dollars in court costs, attorney fees and flying back and forth. And
I'll be testifying on your sister's behalf. I'm the one who drew up the
Will and your mother was very clear about what she wanted."

And he got the pick of what furniture he wanted. My oldest brother came
here, rented a truck and packed it up delivered it to him on his way back to
Texas. It's one of those situations where you can choose your friends but
you can't choose family. Am I bitter? You bet! He's a greedy SOB. I
don't care if I never speak to that brother again.

But I'm sure he's taking good care of Peaches. One thing he wouldn't do is
hurt a bird.

Jill

Old August 2nd 11, 07:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Judith Latham wrote:

we now
realise we are important to each other and accept our differences although
we still have our moments. It's only taken us 50 odd years to get to this
stage. It may not last. (I've got to tackle her about something but hope
to do it appropriately. Ok I've got the brandy ready.) However, I know
that no one in my family would do anything but look after an animal in
their care. I do think animals are so much easier than families.

Amen!

Joyce

--
The heck with top and bottom -- I want relationships with strangeness
and charm.